Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
As all you bowhunters get ready for the fall whitetail season --- I have an interesting question to ask you: How much would you pay to have a drone scout your fields?

I realize the younger fellas have the fresh legs and energy to scout all their fields, and the older guys just drive the pickup trucks off the road to glass their hunting areas --- but what about those back fields that are hard to reach by truck or those fields that are technically "No Trespassing" but you manage to snag a buck in one when nobody is looking?

I used my DJI Phantom 3 drone to scout some fields for a couple friends of mine last year and I did it for free, but it got me thinking about starting a little side business. So how much would you be willing to pay to have someone like me stand next to you while you watch a 40-inch TV screen that shows live video from the drone, and therefore can direct me to fly over any particular area you want. My drone is able to fly out about 2 miles (depending on hills and other obstacles) so I can cover a lot of real estate on one battery, which last about 15 minutes of total flight time. All video would be recorded in 4K resolution that you could watch at home on your big screen TV.

I was thinking of about charging $100 for a 30-minute session --- that would involve using two batteries and continuous flying to cover the most ground. The camera footage is good enough to spot deer from around 200 ft. altitude, but in order to see antlers I would need to descend to around 100 ft. altitude off the ground and this will likely spook the animals and they run away. Still, it does give you a better idea of which fields have deer and which do not.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
on my place, it would cost you precisely one drone. there is so much abuse of drone tech in the art of hunter harassment, screwed up hunts, peeking in windows while trespassing, drug deliveries to prisons, chasing deer away from hunters, running game for miles just for youtubes videos. They are not welcome in any form near my hunting land, my domicile, or my presence.
(next idiot that circles me in a tree stand gets mistaken for game.)

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by kellory
on my place, it would cost you precisely one drone. there is so much abuse of drone tech in the art of hunter harassment, screwed up hunts, peeking in windows while trespassing, drug deliveries to prisons, chasing deer away from hunters, running game for miles just for youtubes videos. They are not welcome in any form near my hunting land, my domicile, or my presence.

Try to remember you do NOT own airspace above your property. The FAA is the ONLY authority in the U.S. that controls airspace, and if your property is not adjacent to an airport, nuclear power facility, or a military installation then I can fly my Phantom all over your property and there aint a damn thing you can do about it.

BTW, you shoot down my $1100 Phantom and that means a sheriff knocks on your door at 6am with an arrest warrant and a charge of felony vandalism that is punishable by law in all 50 states.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I would not pay a dime for drone scouting. I enjoy doing the scouting myself. That's part of the hunt for me.

NRA Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CrackaJack85
Originally Posted by kellory

Try to remember you do NOT own airspace above your property. The FAA is the ONLY authority in the U.S. that controls airspace, and if your property is not adjacent to an airport, nuclear power facility, or a military installation then I can fly my Phantom all over your property and there aint a damn thing you can do about it.

BTW, you shoot down my $1100 Phantom and that means a sheriff knocks on your door at 6am with an arrest warrant and a charge of felony vandalism that is punishable by law in all 50 states.

Not a dime. And especially not to a nanna-nanna-boo-boo kind of guy.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B2

C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by dale06
I would not pay a dime for drone scouting. I enjoy doing the scouting myself. That's part of the hunt for me.

Your loss. A guy using my services is probably gonna bag that trophy buck that you coulda had --- all because he embraces modern technology instead of demonizing it like a Luddite.

Last edited by CrackaJack85; 08/11/17.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Zero - if you're spooking the game, you're not scouting, you are disturbing their habits.

Depending on how bad they spook, you may have just ruined your own hunt.

You need another money making plan with your toy.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Got any videos of your wife?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Harassment of hunters is publishable by law. And I will be judged by 12, should the need arise. Stay off my land.

"1533.03 Prevention of authorized hunting, trapping, or fishing prohibited.
(A) No person shall purposely prevent or attempt to prevent any person from hunting, trapping, or fishing for a wild animal as authorized by this chapter by any of the following means:
(1) Placing oneself in a location in which he knows or should know that his presence may affect the behavior of the wild animal being hunted, trapped, or fished for or otherwise affect the feasibility of the taking of the wild animal by the hunter, trapper, or fisherman;
(2) Creating a visual, aural, olfactory, or physical stimulus intended to affect the behavior of the wild animal being hunted, trapped, or fished for;
(3) Affecting the condition or location of personal property intended for use in the hunting, trapping, or fishing activity.
(B) No person shall fail to obey the order of a peace officer or wildlife officer to desist from conduct that violates division (A) of this section.
(C) This section applies only to acts committed on lands or waters upon which hunting, trapping, or fishing activity may lawfully occur. This section does not apply to acts of a peace officer, the owner of the lands or waters, or a tenant or other person acting under authority of the owner on the lands or waters.
(D) Upon petition by a person who is or reasonably may be affected by conduct that violates or will violate division (A) of this section and a showing by that person that the conduct has occurred in a particular place and may reasonably be expected to occur in or near that place again, a court of common pleas may enjoin the conduct in accordance with Civil Rule .
(E) As used in this section, “peace officer” has the same meaning as in section 2935.01 of the Revised Code, and “wildlife officer” has the same meaning as in section 1531.13 of the Revised Code.
Effective Date: 10-20-1994"

https://www.ohiobar.org/newsandpubl...s-and-the-law-what-you-need-to-know.aspx

Staying legal, for now

"Anyone who owns a drone must register it with the FAA, and thereafter can fly it without getting in trouble as long as the flight takes place during the day and in good weather, as long as the drone stays at least five miles from airports, doesn’t fly higher than 400 feet, doesn’t fly over crowds or endanger anyone, and as long as the flight is just for fun. Anyone who wants to fly a drone for commercial purposes must apply for and receive an N-number, a Section 333 exemption, and a COA and must comply with federal aviation safety regulations."

Last edited by kellory; 08/12/17.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Oh Lordy! this is as good as the cough silencer, fart suite, and buttout tool for hunters. crazy

Trump Won!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
but what about those back fields that are hard to reach by truck or those fields that are technically "No Trespassing" but you manage to snag a buck in one when nobody is looking?

Tells all a person needs to know about you and your business. Not welcome around me. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I have used Google Earth to check around my spots.
Better was a state geo map (leaves down)...............could see rocks and fallen logs etc.
Allowed me to find a pond in a big woods next section over (so much for them needing our creek LOL).

Driving around, found a farm w a feeder after season (could see deer in their woods, and the feeder).
Drove by a week ago............saw what crops were where.

Spots within an hr or so drive.............web sites, gas and binocs.

No need for a drone...........unless needing video footage for home movie. Which might be cool.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
OP

Right to fly, and right to video..........proly different things.
Be sure you only take pics of places you have permission.

Most of us are not against technology.
Technically speaking, we just don't like azzholes.

FWIW I have heard some folks talk about deer out in non hunting ag fields next door to where they hunt..........wondering if somebody could fly a drone over to push them off.
Law quickly passed to stop that.

Being on good terms with those that live around your spot............yeah. Big buck spotted repeatedly by neighbor, Time and location too.
Pretty cool, text'd us Thursday.

Last edited by hookeye; 08/12/17.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
So what data do you collect to show up at the magic hour, to get video of these big bucks?
Leaves up, corn..............how do you look through all that?

Video is cool, but I don't think success or salesmanship will help with your venture.

Now if you're flying over a high fence place................

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would not pay one penny for it. Scouting is half the fun of the hunt, and it's an acquired skill. Anyone can flip out a Visa card and then sit back and watch it unfold on a laptop.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I will stick with trail cams. Only reason I use them is to see what deer are in the area. I already know where the deer are.

Part of the fun of learning to hunt a new place is watching from a stand and if it's not placed just right I can move it to the "right" spot.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
not a dime from me either.

IMHO you can't even do it right, I'm not flying a drone overhead in prime times. I"ll rely on a camera to tell me whats in the general area. I do enjoy those shots. I don't hunt the camera areas though, just keep em out so I know whats out there.

But you lost me WAY early anyway....poaching is a crime and those folks need to pay the price.

I sure hope drone usage for hunting is outlawed in every state and sooner the better.

Besides I consider it harrassment. If you overfly here you'll never see the drone again. Sheriff or not.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
BTW this is even funnier, that its in bowhunting, something that is supposed to be harder, more challenging, than just whacking one with a gun from 100 plus yards away. And here comes more new stuff to make it easier..

Maybe package it with a firearm later, don't have to leave the chair, hook up with a processor and so on to retrieve, have the head mounted, and deliver had and processed meat and you never have to leave the chair either.

Bowhunting. Lol.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nothing from me - I believe drone scouting is unethical.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by CrackaJack85
Originally Posted by dale06

Your loss. A guy using my services is probably gonna bag that trophy buck that you coulda had --- all because he embraces modern technology instead of demonizing it like a Luddite.

OP - It's been thee years since your last troll-through, let's make it another three years or more before your next visit.

I've "embraced" more tech in my right wing armament pylons than in your toy, the control board, and the Prius you drove to the field site in.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
285 members (1minute, 204guy, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 29aholic, 40 invisible), 2,167 guests, and 993 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,627
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.