Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
A friend tried some of the German rws tug bullets out of a 7x57. Basically worked like a full metal jacket. 3 shots to the heart lung area and a lot of chasing around he finally had his deer. I wouldn't try it again unless I was starving . Way too much bullet for deer. On the other hand I had some 130 gr corelock 270 bullets and after shooting 3 deer with them I decided forget it as they seemed to be coming apart.. It must have been the batch of bullets as I had always had good luck with c-l bullets in my other calibers and thousands if not millions of deerhave been killed with them so go figure.

Last edited by bangeye; 08/12/17.
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
If you have a 375 H&H laying around and a box of 220 grain Hornady flat nose bullets.
Try loading them to around 2,200 fps . You won't have to look very far to find your deer.
That is a good thing if you have timber wolves cruising around.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by shaman
My personal feeling is that there is very little to be gained by moving away from cup and core bullets. Deer are just not that hard to kill.

Our camp has shot all our deer in the past 16 years with standard Hornady Interlock and Rem CoreLokts. The bullets do their part if we do ours. A .308 165 grain Hornady SP IL will flatten any whitetail or hog in the CONUS at reasonable ranges if the hunter does his part. Forget moose and elk unless you are going hunting for moose and elk.

As to the environmental aspects at lobbing lead, my personal feeling is you are taking a leak in the ocean on that one. A chunk of lead is pretty well sequestered once it buries itself in the ground.

As to accuracy: if you are having accuracy issues in regards to whitetail hunting, then I would look at everything else before I focused on bullet design.

My overall suggestion to you is that you have been reading too many magazines. As a fellow who has been dispensing advice to deer hunters for a long time, I can tell you that this is a common problem and easily fixed.

1) Remove all reading material related to deer hunting from your current domicile. Refrain from purchasing additional material for at least a year.
2) Go find the cheapest deer ammo that will safely operate in your rifle. Remington Corelokts from Wally World are fine.
3) Practice shooting until you can hit a pie-plate offhand at 50 yards and 100 yards from an improvised rest.
4) Go hunt.

Wash, rinse, repeat.
Report back with pictures.

Believe me, I wish someone had told me all this in 1982. It would have saved me a decade or so of trouble.

I like this ^^

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My wimpy bullets have no trouble killing deer, I just can't get through through 600 yards of cold air.

A 140 gr Nos Bal Tip 7mm bullet at 3400 fps requires less skill from me to hit the deer.

I hunt with guys who think they need partition bullets for deer. I ask them, "How deep is a partition designed to penetrate? How thick is a deer?"

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I would make the switch to a premium lead/copper bullet...ie nosler partition....if you go with TTSX step down in weight.

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
To the original dilemma: I don't think there is a perfect dual deer/hog bullet, because deer are soft, and hogs are tough. There are many compromise bullets that will kill both, but neither as good as two different bullets. It's just that simple. The likely best compromise would be something like a Partition, that has a soft front end and a hard rear. But I've shot partitions through deer, and while they work just fine, they are less dramatic than other softer bullets, in my experience. I'd not bother with copper monos unless I was hunting dangerous game. The lead alloy monos I shoot also work quite well for deer-sized game (and bigger), and at a fraction of a fraction of the price for copper bullets.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A medium/heavy for caliber cup-core kept at 2,800fps or less seems to generally perform close to perfectly, at least in my experience, when shooting hogs and deer. Ones that come to mind are the 168gr .30cal NBT and the 160gr 7mm NAB. They still dig pretty deep but disrupt a fair bit of tissue along the way. I'd also not be afraid of plain old Interlocks in those calibers/weights. But overall, it is indeed true that no bullet is the perfect choice all the time. A really good choice most of the time is about the best you can hope for.

Now with even more aplomb
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The last lead mine that I was in opened in 1520. Still in production.
MM879

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

334 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 1minute, 10ring1, 2ndwind, 40 invisible), 2,554 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,714
Posts18,457,028
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.