Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
R
[i][/i]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/gallery/80/full/45096.jpg. holy fuqq ...... an hour messing around on the new image host forum . Screwed up pic half in and out of light.

Last edited by renegade50; 07/01/17.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Birchwood Gun Scrubber is my best friend when cleaning the little nooks and crannies.

Make sure you wear eye protection. That stuff will sting like a b***h if it splashes back in your eye.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I ran CLP in my AR (need to learn to post pics and do the "Challenge") and like some here, I didn't think it "stuck" all that well.
I'm running mine suppressed and even with an adj. gas block, she gets a bit nasty.
I mixed some Mobil Synthetic 5W-30 and Mobil Synthetic ATF fluid and wiped everything down that moves pretty generously. Ran 200 rounds, all with the can on, and broke it down. Still plenty of lube left inside the rifle. All the carbon that was supposed to be so terrible to clean because of a suppressor wiped right off the bolt carrier (it was pretty nasty).
Granted, it was only 200 rounds (over a few months at that) in Middle TN and not dozens of mag dumps in Iraq, but I'm pretty happy with it thus far.
I squirted and wiped a bunch of it on my Kimber and have ran a few mags through it since. That pistol gets fed all cast and there's usually some "lube gunk" in the nooks and crannies. Since running this mix, I've not seen as much of that.
Any drawbacks to the ATF (the fluid, not the govt. agency)?
Not using this mix on anything wood and blued, btw.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I won't use graphite or lubes with graphite on aluminum. It can lead to galvanic corrosion.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Mobil 1 and Syn ATF... 50/50% ??

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by rost495
Mobil 1 and Syn ATF... 50/50% ??

Just saw your post. Yes 50/50. I will say I didn't really measure it, just sort of eyeballed it into an oil can.

I've not seen anything bad written on how the detergent reacts to the finish or the aluminum, couldn't really think of anything myself, so I just mixed it and oiled everything down, BCG, trigger, and soaked some around my gas block (adj. SLR) when I had my forend off to keep the set screw on it from freezing up.

Like I said, my guns don't get run hard and are not duty weapons, but after 200 rounds, suppressed, all the gunk (and there's quite a bit of it), wipes right off.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thanks, I recall a STP/ATF recipe somewhere but I've used mobil 1 straight up, willing to try this too.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I joined the synthetic motor oil crowd myself. I was tempted to run the same 5-40 Castrol Edge that I use in my car (2.0Liter, high compression, twin cam, 16-valve, turbo'ed screamer) because I'm highly satisfied with it. But, I felt the viscosity was a bit thick for the AR, so I sprung for a quart of 0-20. So far, excellent "wetness" retention without having to thin the thicker stuff, and cleaning seems to go easier. Time will tell...

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by rost495
Thanks, I recall a STP/ATF recipe somewhere but I've used mobil 1 straight up, willing to try this too.

Jeff

Are you thinking of Ed's Red bore cleaner?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I don't think I ever had the bore cleaner, just someone kept giving me STP/ATF IIRC in bottles as in lubricant, not cleaner.

Although I"d never read your link, I"m fairly sure I met Ed at some point in our highpower shooting over the years.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Ed's Red doesn't contain STP. It's basically a mix of ATF, kerosene, acetone, and mineral spirits, and sometimes lanolin. (Google the recipe) Not much lubricating qualities there. I use it as a general cleaner, in lieu of Hoppes. It works a treat. I mixed a gallon of the stuff a few years ago and reckon I'll still be dipping into that jug for years to come.

I've known Ed Harris for over 30 years. He's quite the gentleman, and has forgotten more about shooting subjects than most of us will ever know.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by renegade50
Springco machine gunners lube.... google on the way.

http://www.sprinco.com/tactical.html

bottom of the page

MACHINE GUNNERS LUBE™

Machine Gunners Lube™ was developed to address specific requests from gun team leaders for a lube that would keep their machine guns properly lubricated during extended durations of full auto fire. Like most good gun teams, they work hard to stay on top of not letting the guns run dry. While many currently available lubes maintain lubricity when running "wet", some current war zone deployments do not favor traditional frequent and liberal applications, due to their propensity to attract fine desert silt particles, thereby increasing the risk of malfunctions. Our mission was to formulate a lube that would perform and protect weapon platforms in extreme environments subject to high heat, humidity, evaporative, and mechanical wear, even when applied lightly. Machine Gunners Lube™ meets these standards for all firearms ranging from handguns through .50 caliber machine guns.

Machine Gunners Lube™ is made from fully synthetic Group V base stocks. Poly Ester chains in Group V base stocks offer superior protection against thermal breakdown versus PAO's and GTL's, and contain significant natural solvent properties for self cleaning capabilities. In addition to minimizing carbon accumulation, the Poly Ester base oil acts as a water dispersant and corrosion inhibitor, protecting the lubricated parts in desert, jungle, and arctic climatic environments. Unique to Machine Gunners Lube™ is a proprietary re-micronized (0.3 micron) inhibited Molybdenum Disulfide (MOS2) component in colloidal suspension. In layman's terms, this means that the particles remain suspended within the lubricant, and do not segregate to the bottom of the container. Our inhibited MOS2 is specifically modified to retard, rather than induce corrosion. This moly component allows for a solid lubrication barrier in conjunction with the hydraulic lubrication afforded by the host synthetic lubricant. The re-micronized particles are small enough to penetrate the molecular lattice structure of the carbon, stainless, or chromium plated steel working surfaces of the weapon, where they are released under the heat of use to maintain the initial solid or "boundary" lubrication layer. No other moly additives on the market contain particles this small, nor do they share the unique ability to remain in colloidal suspension. Our proprietary manufacturing process allows the uniform distribution of the re-micronized MOS2 both within and upon the lubricated surfaces of the weapon. This ability provides a further advantage over other gun oils in the form of lubrication retention when the host / hydraulic lubricant is removed by mechanical, chemical, or environmental means. Basically, the weapon is still protected and has a functional advantage even when appearing "dry". The melting point of the MOS2 component is in excess of +2700°F !!! MSDS Available upon request to infotacticalsprings.com.

High shear strength, and not susceptible to mechanical wear. High shear strength equates to increased surface tension, which in turn, keeps your parts coated for extended durations. This property also allows the use of Machine Gunners Lube™ for personal carry firearms, as it does not "run off" the pistol.
Stability in extreme heat, maintaining lubrication properties in temperatures exceeding +650°F.
Pour point of -50°F for reliable use in arctic deployment.
Contains NO Chlorinated Esters or PFTE (TEFLON®.)
Reduced carbon fouling deposition, and detergent properties make cleaning residue much easier and faster, even with .50 caliber platforms.
Available "Battle Bottle™" containers are sized to fit in any spare battery storage compartment found on most carbine platforms (grips, vertical foregrips, stocks) allowing the operator quick access to an ample quantity of lube in the field prior to return to FOB.
Unconditional "NO B.S." Money Back Satisfaction Guarantee!

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If it is in a hole, or rotates, oil it.
If it slides or rubs under pressure, grease it.
My mantra.
With exceptions for firing pns and cold weather. We really do not have a dust problem here.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I posted this for a Piston vs DI discussion a while back. If you scroll down the linked ARF.com thread, Ron from Henderson Defense also shares his experiences with lubes. Not much differentiation from the guy that runs more volume across more guns that all of us combined will ever do, but that in itself is a statement.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/10590656/re-piston-guns#Post10590656

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 63 invisible), 2,975 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,526
Posts18,452,842
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.