Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by ironbender
Anyone have an update on the wildfires in BC? I've been told the smoke is spreading into the PNW.

Any highway impacts?

Links to fire maps?

Thanks.

As of August 10th, 2017. These are the fires burning in the Cariboo-Chilcotin Region of BC. (Cache Creek North to Quesnel)

The Cariboo-Chilcotin alone has 2000 square miles (5000 square km) burnt so far.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Cariboo; 08/12/17.
BP-B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Due to increased fire activity in the Bald Mountain area, the BC Wildfire Service has recommended the immediate closure of Highway 20 (east and west directions) from the Fraser River to the Alex Graham/600 Road until further notice. The Farwell Canyon Road is also closed.
The Hanceville fire covers 179,768 hectares, is exhibiting aggressive Rank 5 and Rank 6 fire behaviour and is being driven by strong winds. This temporary road closure will help protect public safety and allow firefighters and firefighting equipment to move through this area more easily.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Cariboo; 08/12/17.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
August 12 2017 near Alexis Creek

[Linked Image]

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Holy [bleep] Cariboo, sad to see and I hope for the safety of everyone there.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Canim Lake Evacuation ORDER

Evacuation Order : for Canim Lake Area. The area includes Bates Road to Mahood Lake Road

Due to immediate danger, members of the RCMP or other groups will be expediting this action. The evacuation route is Canim Lake South, left on Canim-Hendrix Road to 100 Mile House or Kamloops.

[Linked Image]

Riske Creek Evacuation ORDER

Evacuation Order:for Alexis Creek to Riske Creek. This order is replacing the evacuation order issued earlier today from Highway 20 from West of Hanceville to Risk Creek.

Due to immediate danger, members of the RCMP or other groups will be expediting this action. The evacuation route is Highway 20 to Williams Lake.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
7 new fires started August 12th East of 100 Mile House.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We had rain move in up here in my part of B.C. and it's supposed to be rainy all week, really hope it makes it down there where you guys really need it.

Gerry.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Canim Lake evacuation Order just expanded to include Hawkings Lake and the community of Eagle Creek along with the entire Canim Lake Reserve,

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
We had our only precipitation in 54 days last night and this morning. The first thing I thought when I heard the rain coming down was I hope it reaches our neighbors and eases their burden. The second thing I thought was I hope the windows are up in all the rigs and did my daughter bring in her sleeping bag from the truck? She didn't. 😁

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Cariboo-
Thanks for the update post. Good luck to all of you. What a mess.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Enough rain to wet the porch last night but not enough to really do much as far as dampening fuel. Possibility of thunderstorms this PM but hoping for none. Cooler today at 26 C (79F) but a little breezy. Air mostly clear for the first time in 3 weeks or more. GD

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Things not looking too good West of the Fraser

The Plateau Fire (Tautri, Chezacut, Baezaeko, etc) (C10784)
Last updated: Saturday, August 19, 2017 at 11:41 PM

Location: The Chilcotin Plateau, 60km west of Quesnel and 60km northwest of Williams Lake
• See approximate location of this wildfire on an See Map interactive map
• View an interactive map of all active Wildfires of Note.

Discovered: Friday, July 07, 2017

Size: 438,772.0 hectares (estimated)

This fire was previously being listed as Chezacut, Tautri, Bishop's Bluff, Baezaeko, Wentworth Creek, Arc Mountain, and others.

It has now merged in to one fire (The Plateau Fire) and is being managed by two BC Wildfire Service Incident Management Teams (one located at Puntzi and the other at Sylvia's, west of Quesnel).

Last edited by Cariboo; 08/20/17.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hanceville-Riske Creek-C50647-Chilcotin Fire Zone (C50647)
Last updated: Saturday, August 19, 2017 at 8:00 PM

Location: Hanceville and Riske Creek areas, located approx. 60 kilometers southwest of Williams Lake
• See approximate location of this wildfire on an See Map interactive map
• View an interactive map of all active Wildfires of Note.

Discovered: Saturday, July 08, 2017

Size: 218,000.0 hectares (estimated)

• 25% contained
Today in the Harper Lake area crews are preparing to conduct a burn when conditions allow.

In the Farwell Canyon area crews continue to build dozer lines.

In the Fletcher Lake area firefighters are conducting a burn-out if conditions allow.

On the Taseko Lake Road (900 Road) work will be conducted from the 19 to the 30 kilometer mark with heavy equipment. Flaggers will be on-site.

On the western flank of the fire firefighters will build guard from Gay Lake northward.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A little good news for my family. We were taken off of evacuation alert today.
Time to unpack the suitcases.

With that said evacuation orders expanded around Tatla Lake. The fires in the Chilcotin are still going strong and gaining ground.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Cariboo;
Thanks for the updates sir, we appreciate them.

Please know that you all are in our thoughts and prayers down here.

Lets hope that it's a cool, damp fall and it doesn't take too long getting here.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks Dwayne,

The areas East of the Fraser have been receiving a bit of rain. Along with the rain there have been a few more lightning starts but the Wildfire Service initial attack crews have been on Red Alert the last month and have been jumping on them fast. (I think the crews are sleeping under their helos! wink )

The Chilcotin on the other hand is getting very dry, very gusty winds coming down off the Coast Mountains. Those fire may stop growing when the snow starts falling.

The Cariboo is still so dry we have a total backcountry ban in place. Even launching a boat on a lake is forbidden right now. Hopefully we can get back in the bush soon as I still need to put up about 5 cords of firewood before I can start hunting this fall.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Cariboo;
Thanks for the reply sir.

Yes we're a few loads light on firewood too, but haven't been going up the mountain behind the house for any purpose over since late June. I just don't want to be "that guy" even in the event of something mechanical going wrong with the rig or anything.

I hear you on the snow thing. When the big fire west of Oliver a couple years back got down into the canyons it didn't quit smoking until the snow fell.

It will be good for the wildlife if they can get a handle on the access and predators - lets hope they can.

Thanks again and all the best to you folks this week.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hey Dwayne, My dad was sir you can just call me Gary. LoL

The Plateau Fire about 25 km away from us on the other side of the big muddy river grew another 30,000 ha today. It is now over 500,000 ha - 2000 square mile for our American friends- and still growing. It is not moving towards us but the folks West of Quesnel are getting nervous.

BC wildfire is expecting more high winds over the next few days and are quite concerned.

I never thought I would be praying to our good Lord for 2 feet of snow but now I am.

Gary

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This is , in many ways VERY tough to read,....the stuff of heartache, as regards old friends and stomping grounds.
.......That said it is VERY much appreciated, some of the BEST straight up and no nonsense updates I can find. ...given our idiot MSM disregards and foibles regarding anything but more talking head airtime.

Lotta' quiet conversation with the man upstairs, and daily invocating goin' on here in this corner of S.E. Arizona,.....for alla' you.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
668 members (06hunter59, 17Fan, 09wingates, 007FJ, 160user, 75 invisible), 2,667 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,605
Posts18,398,346
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.