Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Enrique Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hey Guys,

I am at it again. As I try to get not only my son's 243 ready for his hunt, I have my 300 to get ready and also a couple rifles for other people to set up.
That being said I really don't want to mess around with the ladder test.
Here is my question:
If the manual states the starting load is 70gr and 3000fps and max load 75gr and 3250fps (just throwing numbers as an example) am I safe to load 3 rounds of say 73, 73.5 and 74 grains and not worry about the starting load or max load since i don't need to be near max unless it benefits accuracy and I don't wanna be near starting load due to trying to acchieve a certain hypothetical fps?
I know the fps numbers in the book will vary gun to gun and loader to loader but they are a good reference. in my 300 with a 190 or 212 pill, Ideally I'd like to hit 2800fps. Would 2900fps be nice, sure I guess it would but if my bottom number is 2800+/- why push it especially if somewhere between 2800 and 2900 I can find a group?
These are just hypothetical of course and I may be able to go closer to starting based on my chrono or need to go higher but I really would rather shoot for groups than do a ladder and in some case would rather not start with starting and not end with max atleast based on the book If I end up having to go down or up after my first shot due to pressure signs, I will, but im trying to avoid the ladder as much as possible.

Any thoughts? lol

Kique

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
HR IC

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
My elk load, shoots under and inch.

212 ELD
RL-25 ...77.5....2,950 average

Enrique Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
How close to the lands are you loading that hog? My chamber with em is roughly 3.62 but my mag box I think is 3.50. I hope they like a jump

Enrique O. Ramirez

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Seat the bullet out all you can to fit the mag box and feeds the chamber.

I'm shooting a 700 XCR2

O
O
The ladder has other benefits besides just working up to test for safe pressure. Any gun will have a sweet spot for a given bullet/case/powder. It may be close to the maximum load, or not. Shooting up the ladder gives you data you can use to look for that sweet spot.

IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Enrique,

Until you've worked up a couple different loads in your rifle and know how it behaves, it's best to start at the published minimum and work up. After some experience with a given rifle you'll have a better idea what you can, and shouldn't do with it.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Enrique Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I picked up some RL-26 today at Sportsmans. See what I can find for the 190ABLR and 212 ELD-X. I'm sure I can get one of those to work. Be nice if I can get somewhere close to where SU35 is with RL-25 and his set up.I'll keep you guys posted how load development goes. I little worried with having around a .12+/- jump due to mag length.
i'll keep you guys posted how that savage performs with my load work up.

Kique

Enrique O. Ramirez

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
You might be surprised on the OAL not affecting much. I have a Tikka and load to max. mag length, and it does great.
175 LRX Barnes
RL25 80.0
Cci 250 mag.

This load hits like a lightning strike. Not really using it for the intended purposes of long range but for deer out to 250 it has been an absolute hammer. Wouldn't hesitate to use it for elk or bear

Enrique Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the info. I'll give that a run if my 190s and 212s dont work out.

Sorry to ask again but can someone run quickload data for the following:
hornady case, win mag primer, Reloder 26, COAL 3.45
Nosler ABLR 190gr and Hornady ELD-X 212gr

Or to avoid running QL, Alliant gives load data for 190gr SMK and 220gr SMK would I be able to use that load data for my ABLR's and ELD-X's? I think they also give data for the 200gr SMK's.

I know I am overthinking things and making things more difficult than it has to be but I'm trying to make sure I dont blow myself up and don't wanna be careless. That being said after reading the comments i'll be doing ladder testing again instead of the group thing to start like I had planned to.

Thanks again everyone,

Kique

Enrique O. Ramirez

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I tried, but my Quickload is the older version without new powders.

Yes, you can base it off of Alliant data. You can even use RL25 data as a start. In most cases, the RL26 can be a grain or so higher at max.

IC B3

Enrique Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for all the Help Ken, I greatly appreciate it.

Kique

Enrique O. Ramirez

Enrique Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hey Guys,

Just a quick follow up on todays ladder testing.
I started my:
190 ABLR's at 74gr to 78.5gr. I stopped at 78 grains (everything looked good but the FPS were nearing 3200 and settled on a nice node in the 76.5, 77, 77.5 range. The average fps taking those 3 and dividing came to roughly 3120fps. I can handle that especially since those 3 "grouped" close to an inch. So I figure i'll work up some loads with 77 grains and adjust seating depth a tad to see what happens. See if I can get a nice group under an inch and call it done.
212 ELD-X from 70 to 74 and ended up stopping at 73 grains satisfied with the node with 72, 72.5 and 73 and the fps was nice with an average of 2880 for those 3 loads added and divided. I probably could have went up to 74, but I think 2880 isn't too shabby. So I think i'll work at 72.5 adjusting seating and see what groups look like. group was in the inch/under inch range aswell.
With both ladder runs, I didn't encounter any stiff bolt or flat primers on any load shot. On the last shots of each tho I did notice a little black dot near the shoulder on one part of the case but when I rubbed it it seemed like it was soot(sp) but all cases looked ok. I just figure why keep going if the place I stopped at already had good promise and the speed I was looking at on my bottom end had already been acchieved.

I'll be curious to see what 5 shot groups look like with both loads selected and see if I can make one work. Be nice to see what 5 shots of the same load look like over the chrono too. Either way I am excited.

I was using RL26 too btw.

Kique

Enrique O. Ramirez

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks for the info, have a new Remington AWR in 300 win mag. Plan is to work up some loads for the 215 Berger Hybrids that put me in the 2900 fps range.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
383 members (1lesfox, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 39 invisible), 2,056 guests, and 891 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,970
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.