Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#12195332 - 08/08/17 Re: Vortex, now all made in China. [Re: gnoahhh]  
Prwlr Online content
Campfire Guide
Prwlr  Online Content
Campfire Guide

Colorado Springs, CO
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I know a guy who contracts with Chinese optics people to have made optics made for laboratory work. He told me that with the Chinese you get what you ask for- if you want quick and cheap then that's the quality you get. If you ask for the highest quality, then that's what you get. He had better luck having the Chinese make precision lenses and prisms for quantum physics labs than he did with "name" German outfits.

I remember people squawking way back when Japanese optics/cameras got the upper hand on American made stuff. Now the fall guy is the Chinese. I wonder who it'll be in another 40 years? The Brazilians, or perhaps the Moroccans? Maybe the Romanians. Personally, I don't care whose "made by" sticker is on a piece of equipment, as long as it works and hits a price point I can afford.

I can agree with that statement. Especially the price point issue. Not every man can afford "alpha" products.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.
CMG 300 BP

#12195367 - 08/08/17 Re: Vortex, now all made in China. [Re: Farmboy1]  
Mule Deer Online content
Campfire Oracle
Mule Deer  Online Content
Campfire Oracle

Banana Belt, Montana
And some "alpha" products are made in Japan, including some that have been made there for many years.

Saying this or that country makes junk optics hasn't been true for a long time, due to the realities of global manufacturing.

John

"Gunwriters, as you know, aren't as informed as their readers are and if it wasn't for the readers, there would be no need for writers..."--Shrapnel, May 2015
#12195409 - 08/08/17 Re: Vortex, now all made in China. [Re: Farmboy1]  
bigwhoop Online content
Campfire Kahuna
bigwhoop  Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

Frankensota
If the Norks keep it up, they'll have plenty of glass for the Chinese to use.

The most common reason for bad shooting is "climate change".

#12195581 - 08/08/17 Re: Vortex, now all made in China. [Re: Farmboy1]  
Hondo64d Online content
Campfire Guide
Hondo64d  Online Content
Campfire Guide

The Big Country
Originally Posted by Farmboy1
I am not sure this has been posted on here before, but the news is Vortex is now having all
of their optics made in China.

The Razor and Viper binoculars at least have been made in Japan, for many years.

This is not good news.

How is the Razor going to compete with all of the nice midrange binoculars, such as the
Zeiss Conquest HD, Leica Trinovid, GPO, Maven, Tract, Monarch HD, Meopta Meostar.
They are all made in Japan or Europe.

These are all in the $999.00 range.

Who is going to pay that for a China made Razor ?

From Vortex's website:

"Nearly every component in the AMG, from the index-matched lenses to smallest screw, is engineered, machined, and assembled in the USA. The only component from outside the USA is the German manufactured reticle. If you're looking for a top-tier long-range precision riflescope, look no further than the Razor HD AMG."

http://www.vortexoptics.com/category/razor_hd_amg_riflescope

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
#12195598 - 08/08/17 Re: Vortex, now all made in China. [Re: Hondo64d]  
Farmboy1 Offline
Campfire Regular
Farmboy1  Offline
Campfire Regular

Originally Posted by Hondo64d
I am not sure this has been posted on here before, but the news is Vortex is now having all

The Razor and Viper binoculars at least have been made in Japan, for many years.

This is not good news.

How is the Razor going to compete with all of the nice midrange binoculars, such as the
Zeiss Conquest HD, Leica Trinovid, GPO, Maven, Tract, Monarch HD, Meopta Meostar.

From Vortex's website:

"Nearly every component in the AMG, from the index-matched lenses to smallest screw, is engineered, machined, and assembled in the USA. The only component from outside the USA is the German manufactured reticle. If you're looking for a top-tier long-range precision riflescope, look no further than the Razor HD AMG."

John

John: Did you notice we are talking Vortex binoculars.

Alpha

#12195611 - 08/08/17 Re: Vortex, now all made in China. [Re: Farmboy1]  
CowboyTim Offline
Campfire Guide
CowboyTim  Offline
Campfire Guide

Wisconsin
I should have been more clear, when/if(pretty sure it's when) Vortex makes a good 3-9x40(ish) or fixed 4 or 6 power optic in the US I'll buy it. Really the only optics(other than binos) that I use.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.
#12195690 - 08/08/17 Re: Vortex, now all made in China. [Re: Hondo64d]  
Farmboy1 Offline
Campfire Regular
Farmboy1  Offline
Campfire Regular

This is not good news.

From Vortex's website:

John

I see those AMG models are very spendy. Not sure of their quality. Vortex has never been in my sights.

#12196039 - 08/09/17 Re: Vortex, now all made in China. [Re: Farmboy1]  
Hondo64d Online content
Campfire Guide
Hondo64d  Online Content
Campfire Guide

The Big Country

I missed that given that the very first line in the OP says "all of their optics."

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
#12196653 - 08/09/17 Re: Vortex, now all made in China. [Re: harv3589]  
WRO Offline
WRO  Offline

Originally Posted by harv3589
I just got a new Vortex Razor HD 27-60x80 spotting scope...says assembled in USA on bottom

It seems really sharp to me but I will test it out tomorrow spotting antelope.

They're assembled by meopta in the US. They still use the same glass as the earlier Razors..

#12196665 - 08/09/17 Re: Vortex, now all made in China. [Re: Hondo64d]  
Sitka deer Offline
Campfire Oracle
Sitka deer  Offline
Campfire Oracle

Anchorage, AK USA

I missed that given that the very first line in the OP says "all of their optics."

John

smile

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Bravo

#12196701 - 08/09/17 Re: Vortex, now all made in China. [Re: Farmboy1]  
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
cdb  Offline
Campfire Regular

Justin, TX
This, from another website seems to contradict the rumor. Of course it could be another rumor.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/is-vortex-moving-everything-to-china-update.824955/

Assistant Secretary - U.S. Dry Bean Council
#12197856 - 08/09/17 Re: Vortex, now all made in China. [Re: Farmboy1]  
akjeff Offline
Campfire Guide
akjeff  Offline
Campfire Guide

Alaska
" Vortex has never been in my sights."

Yet you post completely wrong info about them......brilliant!

I don't even own a Vortex product, so I'm not defending them. I just think it was an idiotic thread to start, all things considered. If you don't know what you're talking about, it's OK to just not say anything.

Jeff

#12197913 - 08/10/17 Re: Vortex, now all made in China. [Re: akjeff]  
Sitka deer Offline
Campfire Oracle
Sitka deer  Offline
Campfire Oracle

Anchorage, AK USA
Originally Posted by akjeff

I don't even own a Vortex product, so I'm not defending them. I just think it was an idiotic thread to start, all things considered. If you don't know what you're talking about, it's OK to just not say anything.

Jeff

Pretty obvious Vortex was in his sights...

If a schit slinger has sights...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
#12198547 - 08/10/17 Re: Vortex, now all made in China. [Re: Sitka deer]  
Farmboy1 Offline
Campfire Regular
Farmboy1  Offline
Campfire Regular

Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Jeff

Don't complain about farmers with your mouth full. Feeding the world is our bread and butter.

#12203004 - 08/12/17 Re: Vortex, now all made in China. [Re: Farmboy1]  
Sitka deer Offline
Campfire Oracle
Sitka deer  Offline
Campfire Oracle

Anchorage, AK USA
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Jeff

Don't complain about farmers with your mouth full. Feeding the world is our bread and butter.

Farmers get a pass for saying stupid schit completely unrelated to farming in your World?

They do not in my World.

#12204088 - 08/12/17 Re: Vortex, now all made in China. [Re: Farmboy1]  
JLH3 Offline
JLH3  Offline

Mesa, AZ
I just got a pair of Viper HD 10x42's from Cabela's. They say made in China

And they also seem like a great set of glass.

It is not enough to fight for natural land and the west; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it's still there. So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends...

- Edward Abbey
#12204106 - 08/12/17 Re: Vortex, now all made in China. [Re: Farmboy1]  
EdM Offline
Campfire Kahuna
EdM  Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Either Texas or Idaho
I am a bit surprised that Doug is silent on this as it seems he/they "created" a chunk of the demand, at least here...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
#12204115 - 08/12/17 Re: Vortex, now all made in China. [Re: Farmboy1]  
Enrique Offline
Campfire Guide
Enrique  Offline
Campfire Guide

Mammoth AZ USA
I like the Vortex stuff I have and have used. I have had to send some stuff back for repair I won't deny that. But atleast I know if my Vortex stuff breaks or if I break it, I can send it back and get it fixed. I haven't looked at Leupold or Nikon or any other brands in a long time besides Burris, but last time I looked, if they broke, I would have to fix em on my dime whether my fault or theirs. For me a warranty is gold. I don't have the income to replace my gear due to accidents or no fault of my own. So I now buy based on warranty as long as what I am purchasing works well for my eyes and is quality I can afford and not crap. Vortex to me so far has treated me well. I'll keep using them until their quality and or warranty goes to complete crap. An believe me I have been blessed to use the big three, Minox and various other optic brands. So I tend to buy what my eyes like and what I have experienced first hand, not what some 'pro" suggests is what I need.
I hope the truth comes out soon on this topic. I'd be interested to know. Altho I'll still be a Vortex purchaser but have been leaning a lot toward Burris. No need for new stuff yet tho.

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
#12204516 - 08/13/17 Re: Vortex, now all made in China. [Re: Enrique]  
CowboyTim Offline
Campfire Guide
CowboyTim  Offline
Campfire Guide

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Enrique
I like the Vortex stuff I have and have used. I have had to send some stuff back for repair I won't deny that. But atleast I know if my Vortex stuff breaks or if I break it, I can send it back and get it fixed. I haven't looked at Leupold or Nikon or any other brands in a long time besides Burris, but last time I looked, if they broke, I would have to fix em on my dime whether my fault or theirs. For me a warranty is gold. I don't have the income to replace my gear due to accidents or no fault of my own. So I now buy based on warranty as long as what I am purchasing works well for my eyes and is quality I can afford and not crap. Vortex to me so far has treated me well. I'll keep using them until their quality and or warranty goes to complete crap. An believe me I have been blessed to use the big three, Minox and various other optic brands. So I tend to buy what my eyes like and what I have experienced first hand, not what some 'pro" suggests is what I need.
I hope the truth comes out soon on this topic. I'd be interested to know. Altho I'll still be a Vortex purchaser but have been leaning a lot toward Burris. No need for new stuff yet tho.

Since when has there EVER been a problem with Leupold's warranty?

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.
#12229448 - 08/24/17 Re: Vortex, now all made in China. [Re: Farmboy1]  
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
cdb  Offline
Campfire Regular

Justin, TX
Originally Posted by Enrique
I haven't looked at Leupold or Nikon or any other brands in a long time besides Burris, but last time I looked, if they broke, I would have to fix em on my dime whether my fault or theirs.

That is news to me.

Assistant Secretary - U.S. Dry Bean Council
#12229500 - 08/24/17 Re: Vortex, now all made in China. [Re: kingston]  
Matt in Virginia Offline
Campfire Guide
Matt in Virginia  Offline
Campfire Guide

Virginia
Originally Posted by kingston
Fück China

Amen...

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin, SYSOP 

AIH 160 1
Who's Online Now
755 registered members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 117LBS, 007FJ, 70 invisible), 1,931 guests, and 611 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod

Copyright © 2000-2018 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.