Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
of course as I am considering a new rifle, the 6.5 creedmore being new and popular one has to consider it. I am sure it will kill deer just fine, and I reload for my rifles. Just cannot think of a big advantage to the cartridge over a 308Win for blue collar sub 100 yard deer hunting. I expect it might have a bit less recoil with the 130 grain bullet, and it might be a tad more accurate I don't know for sure. I am compelled by practicality so sometimes I miss the next great thing. Any compelling reason to try a 6.5C other than its new?

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
"want to" is, and will likely always remain, a compelling reason....

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I think "want to" is the overriding reason for trying something different; we all rationalize our choices.
Will the results of the 6.5 C be any different than the 308 WCF under the conditions you state in the OP? Probably not.
I've been using a 6.5 Swede since 2004, and I'm pretty sure it's like two peas in pod w/ the 6.5 C. But when I saw Whittaker's offer the T3X SS in 6.5C I wanted to get in on that deal and did.
I'm not sure what's the official definition of "Rifle Looney" but we spend hours splitting hairs and quoting "ballistic gak" on our favorites.
When you buy the 6.5C, welcome to the club (if you're not already a member in good standing).

StarchedCover

Last edited by StarchedCover; 08/13/17. Reason: omitted word

Semper Fi
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This seems like an odd question for a guy with over 15K posts on this site, but here's my take.

If you're happy with whatever you're shooting "blue collar sub-100 yard deer" with today, there isn't any reason other than curiosity to buy any sort of new rifle chamber for any deer capable cartridge.

Buying a redundant rifle chambered for a redundant cartridge is nearly 100% "want to" and nearly 0% "need to". If you have the discretionary income and want to spend some of it on a rifle chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor, there are lots of opportunities in the market. I doubt that the 6.5 Creedmoor will provide a meaningful advantage over dozens of other cartridges for "blue collar sub-100 yard deer hunting", but it is the current darling of shooters far and wide, some of whom will try it, become disillusioned when they discover that it isn't magic, and move on to something else. I currently have 7 rifles chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor and have shot a couple of deer with the cartridge, but I like to shoot deer with lots of different rifles and cartridges, not because I'm seeking perfection, but because I like rifles, reloading, and shooting both paper and game.

The perfect deer hunting cartridge might be the nearly 100 year old 270, but it is so plebeian, so uncool, that many people dismiss it and look elsewhere for their perception of perfection in a deer hunting cartridge.

Or so it seems to me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jimmy, get the rifle and find somewhere to hunt where long shots are available.

I did so and it led me to kill three deer from 200-350 yards w my CTR .260 in early '16.

And you could prolly do it w your .308...

Last edited by ColdCase1984; 08/13/17.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
IC B2

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Coldcase, and all thank you for the enabling and co-dependent posts! I think I just want to and will do so! I believe the Tikka T3 CTR in SS will surely be "the very last gun I will ever purchase"

A
a12 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
At reasonable ranges in the South, you can't do any better than a .308 WIN.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
sub 100... geez I've got hard zero's on my 308 to about 750 that I'm comfortable with and have taken deer just the other side of 600 with it so far.

Doesn't bother me at all. The deer either really, they never knew what hit em...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I hunt mostly GA. I gave up the 30-06 and have been hunting with several 308's over the last 8-9 years. I can get Ruger Americans for under $350 out the door and the Predator under $390. At that price and with match grade ammo selling for about $30/box it was hard not to try the Creedmoor. I do load for it too. I was shooting it at the range this morning and posted 3 different 200 yard groups under 1 1/2". The rifle and ammo is probably capable of better, but that is about as good as I can shoot.

To be honest my best 308 with the best loads will match it for accuracy and at the ranges I shoot at game no animal will ever know the difference. In a hunting situation you'll never notice the difference in recoil, but you will after a few rounds at the range. There is just enough difference to be noticeable. If you hand load bullets are a little less expensive and it uses a little less powder so it is a little cheaper to feed.

I don't expect it to do anything my 308's won't do. But I don't regret buying it either. Now I wouldn't have gone out and spent $800-$1000 on one unless I planned on it being my primary hunting rifle. And who knows, I may come to like the round well enough to invest in a nicer rifle down the road. Probably won't be any more accurate than the one I have though.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As a deer rifle it will do nothing that a host of longstanding cartridges haven't been doing for decades. I bought a Creedmoor before they exploded in popularity and now I am growing to hate it because of the cult status surrounding it.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
As a deer rifle it will do nothing that a host of longstanding cartridges haven't been doing for decades. I bought a Creedmoor before they exploded in popularity and now I am growing to hate it because of the cult status surrounding it.

Why do you care what other people think or do?

You know that the Creedmoor craze is just that, a trendy craze that is likely to decline and fizzle out to the point that used gun racks are going to be full of slightly used Creedmoor chambered rifles that will languish under a layer of dust until a rifle loony comes along to make an offer to the guy behind the counter that he can't refuse.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

You know that the Creedmoor craze is just that, a trendy craze that is likely to decline and fizzle out to the point that used gun racks are going to be full of slightly used Creedmoor chambered rifles that will languish under a layer of dust until a rifle loony comes along to make an offer to the guy behind the counter that he can't refuse.

Why do you care if I care? More than anything else I am disgusted with the fact that people haven't learned to spell it yet, despite the fact that there are thousands of threads on it.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Why do you care if I care? More than anything else I am disgusted with the fact that people haven't learned to spell it yet, despite the fact that there are thousands of threads on it.

Ya reckon right spelling is akin to the secret handshake...?

Those in the know, just know... wink

Others don't matter... cool

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A buddy who is a dedicated LR competitive shooter and graduated out of a 260 and into the CM as it exploded in popularity couple years ago...has already moved most of his comp rifles into 7-08's. He teaches LR shooting in his spare time and got hooked when he built a HB short barrel 7-08 with a suppresor to use as a rental for his students and luved it...I tease him about how do ya figger MPBR in a scope with all them little dots everywhere and too many dials. While CM is still going strong in DFW, I am hearing more chatter in the local forum about the 7-08 than I ever have.in the 12+ years I've been registered here and there.
Ron

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Practically, no. It gives no advantage whatsoever for sub 100 yard deer hunting.

I could argue that it gives no advantage period. But the 6.5 fanboys would tear me up then.

The only possible advantage under your scenario is lower recoil.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I don't care about your issues with the 6.5 Creedmoor or your disgust with people who misspell "Creedmoor", I just can't understand why anyone would care about trivial BS. I believe in living life and doing things on my terms while ignoring people and things that are of no consequence. The misspelling of "Creedmoor" is about as inconsequential as anything could possibly be.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I don't care about your issues with the 6.5 Creedmoor or your disgust with people who misspell "Creedmoor", I just can't understand why anyone would care about trivial BS. I believe in living life and doing things on my terms while ignoring people and things that are of no consequence. The misspelling of "Creedmoor" is about as inconsequential as anything could possibly be.

Yet you care about my caring enough to post again. The misspelling of Creedmoor is inconsequential until you enter wrong spelling into a search engine in your quest for information. You may also be missing the tongue I have planted firmly in my cheek.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Yet you care about my caring enough to post again. The misspelling of Creedmoor is inconsequential until you enter wrong spelling into a search engine in your quest for information. You may also be missing the tongue I have planted firmly in my cheek.

Its all inconsequential to me, since it has no negative impact on my life.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jimmyp
of course as I am considering a new rifle, the 6.5 creedmore being new and popular one has to consider it. I am sure it will kill deer just fine, and I reload for my rifles. Just cannot think of a big advantage to the cartridge over a 308Win for blue collar sub 100 yard deer hunting. I expect it might have a bit less recoil with the 130 grain bullet, and it might be a tad more accurate I don't know for sure. I am compelled by practicality so sometimes I miss the next great thing. Any compelling reason to try a 6.5C other than its new?

About the only reasons to go with the 6.5CM over the .308 if talking deer hunting at 100-150yds are lower recoil and the appeal of wanting to try something different. Of course a guy could also load down his .308 a notch and be right there with 130/140gr 6.5CM levels. A lot of very basic bullets from .25 to .30 caliber work well at moderate speeds inside 200yds. At that range, there's a big list of chamberings that overlap a good bit in "effect" on deer. But a new rifle also offers interesting opportunities to try new chamberings, new bullets, etc, all of which are fun and interesting, regardless of overlap.

Now with even more aplomb
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by jimmyp

For sub 100 yard deer hunting a wide variety of mild mannered cartridges will give excellent performance. Small differences in precision are moot in this application. My take is get the 6.5 if you like the rifle. If you want to stay with the 308 and moderate the recoil that's easy too. Pick nearly any 150 grain bullet and load to 300 Savage level with one of a number of mid burn rate extruded powders.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (17CalFan, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 52 invisible), 2,406 guests, and 1,123 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,500
Posts18,452,470
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.