Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Greetings. Picked up a model 54 shooter and brought it home to inspect. It's not in the best condition but wanted to at least remove the bolt. Was able to remove it, but now I am unable to put it back in. When I try to put it back in, all goes well until the last bit. I lined up the bolt, slide it in hear a clicking sound and see the trigger moving. The last part of the bolt won't clear the receiver tang though. The little nub which can be depressed near the rear of the bolt is what is lining up with the rail in the receiver which I think is incorrect. The problem is nothing on the bolt moves. The safety lever is stuck. The firing pin tip is sticking out of the end and it doesn't move either. The rear bolt assembly wiggles, but wont' rotate. It came out but I'm not sure how to get it back in. Have tried holding the trigger every which way to Sunday and everything else I can think of but nothing it working. Was hoping it was like pre 64 model 70's but I do not see a lever to push down. Have scoured the internet for what to do but haven't found anything. Will try to figure out how to post pictures if that helps. Thanks.

GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
The bolt shroud has rotated 90 degrees. Remove the bolt from the rifle and try to twist the bolt ccw, like you were opening the bolt, while holding the bolt shroud. You are camming the cocking piece back against the firing pin spring so is is tough. You might have to clamp the bolt shroud in a padded vise to hold it. The cocking piece will drop into its notch in the bolt when you get to the right place.
In the future, place the safety in the straight up position when removing the bolt. That will prevent reoccurrence. That only works if the safety is original, btw.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Thanks, I will give it a try. I seem to remember something rotating when I tried to remove it. Do not think the safety lever on the bolt is original as there are no markings on it, but it does have the S/N (minus the A) scratched with some type of electro pencil. Driving me crazy as I really want to go and shoot it. Here are some pics of the bolt.

30 WCF pics

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yes your pictures show the bolt sleeve rotated. You need to retract the firing pin and rotate the bolt sleeve Clockwise as you view it from the rear. Vice grips, a vice, pliers or as a last resort a screwdriver(the tool which causes more injuries than the rest!).

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Kp321, thank you so much for the instructions. It worked like a charm and I think I now understand the proper way to disassemble it for cleaning.

I'm new to model 54's though I passed on one with a long skinny scope on it a few years ago. Have dabbled in pre 64 model 70's but don't know much about them either. Really like the model 54. Maybe it is because of how few were produced or because it is the predeccosr to the model 70. Not sure, but I think the 54 is under appreciated. Looking forward to actually using it to see how it performs. My other model 70 is a pre-64 featherweight in .308 and it seems much heavier than the 54 which is just a standard grade. The 54 just feels better and more balanced in my hand. Can't wait to shoot it. Thanks again!

Sbrmike, Thanks to you as well. I feel stupid now that I know how easy it was to "fix", but that is how we learn. It's a mixmaster but I like firearms that show honest wear. In the carbine world, there's a lot of "correcting" going on as I sure there is in the Winchester model 54/70 world.

The rear sight is not original, it's a 57 WJS but the stock isn't notched. The original barrel rear sight has a metal plug in it.
Front sight has a small white nub and is marked Lyman.
Think the buttplate is original.

Will try to post some pictures of it soon.

Last edited by carbinecol; 08/13/17.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A model 54 in 30-30 is a keeper for sure, those minor details are easily reversible but it should be a dream to shoot with that 57 WJS!

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I can't tell if the safety is original from the pictures. There is a small plunger that prevents the bolt shroud from rotating when the bolt is open. The tiny spring in it can get gummed up and prevent the correct operation of the plunger, allowing the incident you experienced. A little solvent followed with a drop of oil might help prevent future problems.
I agree that the 54's are under appreciated. My favorite is a Hornet that cost half or less than a 70 would have and shoots great.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Don't think the safety is original. Hope I was able to capture it in the pics. Stock has dents and dings, Bluing looks ok, scracthes on barrel, etc..... Honest wear. Sling is nice, has weird looking hooks and thick verdegris with which I am familiar (M1A1 rivets). Butt plate is worn but appears to be the correct one. Haven't taken the whole thing apart to clean it yet. Probably will just remove the firing pin assembly to clean and lube. Bore looks good and needs cleaned.. Need to get it inspected by a smith before taking it to the range.

Had no problem finding out tons of stuff about Pre-64 Model 70's on the internet. Disappointed there isn't much about model five fours. I have the RR book but I'm glad I can find answers here. More pics:

More 54 Pics

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Congrats on acquiring a fine rifle. I swear I want to be buried with my M54 .30-30.

The safety is original M54 safety.

I have a Lyman 48 sight on mine, for hunting, and a 12x Fecker target scope on it for bench work. (ie: the "long skinny scope" you alluded to.) Such a scope can be installed without having to drill new holes- the rear bases utilize the original factory holes in the receiver ring, and front bases go into the barrel sight dovetail. The scope doesn't interfere with the safety, nor does it interfere with the bolt handle- it sits high enough for both. (But that height precludes a decent cheek weld, actually no cheek weld at all. I correct that with a removable leather cheekpiece/comb raiser.)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Thanks gnoahhh. While it's not the rarest, I've read the receiver is different from the others. From reading Roger Rule's book, it's a First Standard. Originally, I think mine would have had a Lyman 26W gold bead front sight on a post and a Lyman 6W with twin folding leaves. The Lyman 48W was an option. Don't remember much about the scope I saw other than it had something sticking up from it above the scope near the rear receiver ring. Your Model 54 sounds fantastic. I like the idea of being able to put something else on it without removing wood.

My pre-64 model 70 has rings and a scope installed but the original front and rear sight can still be used. Is that kind of setup possible with a 54? Might have to get "sick" sometime this week to take it for a ride.

I like the sight picture, but am wondering how easy is it to remove the 57WJS rear sight assembly?

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Easy to remove that sight. Just two screws. Nothing at all wrong with the Lyman 57. I wouldn't go crazy changing it out. The advantage of the Lyman 48 over the 57 is pretty slim, and often more in the mind of the beholder. The 48's slide is dovetailed into its base (57's aren't) and was hand fitted for a precise fit and its adjusting screws may (or may not) have less backlash than those on a 57- stuff that is of more interest to a target shooter who is making constant sight changes.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i have had many 54's and love them, but have yet to find one as nice as yours that someone will part with.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
@gnoahhh - Definately going to leave it alone especially since I do not have those kind of skills. Hope to leave it as I found it except for a little extra wear in the bore.. Pretty handy wth an M1 carbine, other classic firearms...not so much. Might tinker a little bit just to understand the nomenclature and how to use it. Don't have a lot of experience with scopes and such, mostly iron flip (150 or 300 yards) or adjustable sights (evaluation and windage). Looking forward to learning something new.

@deerstalker - You are lucky to have had so many. I only have one but have been looking for a while. Wanted one that I could actually use. Not a rust bucket, but not a super collector's item either. I've yet to see one for sale at a local show. I'm ok with them being under appreciated. More for us.

50k produced, just 50k. Eventually, others will catch up to what we already know.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
of the 50,145 built i can't imagine there are half left and maybe one quarter of them unmolested as to extra holes and stock changes. there were many lost to the war and to exporting. i dream of finding one in someone older's collection ( those older are getting scarce also) that is pristine. the hunt will never stop until i do.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Have seen a few recently, but they were either in poor condition or had been changed. Most were .30-06's. Some o.k., some not. I did not realize all of the modifications made to them leaving so few unchanged.

I've seen a few in "collector" condition but don't know enough about them yet. Makes sense why they went for big bucks, but not sure I'm interested as I prefer something I could use. Have yet to see any of the really rare calibers but if one ever shows up should be a good chance to learn.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Sounds like you where able to uncock the bolt while it was out. You may need to try to get bolt recocked before your able to reinstall it. Sorry, didn't read other posts before I replied. I see this has been covered.

Last edited by ChuckKY; 08/23/17.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 73 invisible), 2,391 guests, and 1,127 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,121
Posts18,464,584
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.