Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Picked up a stainless with a laminated stock. Never shot, never scope mounted. Buddy says send me a check for whatever.

What is a fair "whatever"? $550? $650? more?

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
BP-B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by hatari
Picked up a stainless with a laminated stock. Never shot, never scope mounted. Buddy says send me a check for whatever.

What is a fair "whatever"? $550? $650? more?

If it's stainless with the laminated and never shot it would probably sell for about $600. Depending on location or selling on the internet.

Friend pricing should bring it down to $500 or $450 I would think.

Ingwe sold me one in .17 HMR for a song.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I had a stainless (target gray) 77/22 magnum with the cinnamon laminated stock 20 years ago. I never could get it t shoot. I sold it to a guy who was a bit of a tinkerer. About a week later he showed me a 9 shot group that was way better than my best 3. He had floated the barrel and torqued the action screws to spec. I saw one like it in Cabelas yesterday for $998.

I think I'd tell my buddy to tell me what he wants for it.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Originally Posted by Slope77
I messed around trying to make a Leupold 2-7x28 rimfire work on the 77/22, but it's just too small. I pulled an old vari-x II 3-9x40 off my 25-06 and it is perfect. Shipped it off to Leupold to have the parallax adjusted

Yeah, for now I've got the 4X RF special mounted with a Ruger extension ring, but if I keep it, I'm going to have their custom shop build me a 3-9X VX II with parallax set at 60 yards, windplex crosshair, and CDS.

Tom

I think that would be about perfect for it. They seem to be a bit difficult to scope - they don't work too well with large ocular (rear) bells or short tubes. I tried a few scopes and the issues I had were either I couldn't get it back close enough to my eye or interference with the bolt handle.

I was using an extension ring with the 2-7 as well and will try to ditch that for a regular ring when I get the 3-9 back from Leupold.

If you get one that shoots, I can't imagine ever wanting much more out of a bolt action 22 - well built, but easy to carry and not bulky, nice looking and I love the Ruger mags. Unfortunately, sounds liking getting a shooter may take a little luck.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by TREE_EM
Rreat rifles once they're tuned.
All it takes is
Set back barrel and recut chamber with a match reamer
Re crown
Tune trigger
Shim bolt
Bedding job
Properly torque action screws

Mine will shoot well under MOA with quality ammo

Or you could buy a CZ and just shoot it with the $$ left

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Nobody ever tinkers with CZ's...

On the left is a group from my 77/22. The little orange dot fell off due to abuse.

[Linked Image]

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Could you Gruff diagram that target please, via sharpie.

Tear font.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I can never tell if he's explaining a range session or a football play.

Dave

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Today, a buddy of mine, and I, went to a local range with 3 Ruger RAR rifles. All three of them outshot the two 77/22s I owned, my buddy's "regular" full-sized .22 showed some real genuine love for Velocitors, too. My Predator is pretty good, but his rifle put mine to shame, and he was pleased with his HMR compact, too.
While I liked the 77/22s, the RARs seem to outshoot them for half the price, or less.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I have yet to find a Ruger American that won't shoot either.

Dave

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The centerfire Leupold 2-7x33 scopes will work on them. I've used the Vari-X and the VX1. IMO they're not too big for the rifle and are brighter with better eye relief and faster target pick up than the smaller rimfire scope. Leupold will reset the parallax to rimfire distances for around sixty bucks or you can do it yourself. There's a good thread on this at "Rimfire Central". It's not that hard to do. I'd try it before resetting it. It might work fine as is.

The old M8 4x28 will work on it too. At that low a magnification there was no need to change the parallax setting on mine.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those RAR rifles will out shoot my Marlin 39A's too at near 1/3 the price but I don't see not acquiring any more of them if one comes along again. Just saying.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
The centerfire Leupold 2-7x33 scopes will work on them. I've used the Vari-X and the VX1. IMO they're not too big for the rifle and are brighter with better eye relief and faster target pick up than the smaller rimfire scope. Leupold will reset the parallax to rimfire distances for around sixty bucks or you can do it yourself. There's a good thread on this at "Rimfire Central". It's not that hard to do. I'd try it before resetting it. It might work fine as is.

The old M8 4x28 will work on it too. At that low a magnification there was no need to change the parallax setting on mine.

I wish I had one to try!

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T

Originally Posted by blanket
Originally Posted by TREE_EM
Rreat rifles once they're tuned.
All it takes is
Set back barrel and recut chamber with a match reamer
Re crown
Tune trigger
Shim bolt
Bedding job
Properly torque action screws

Mine will shoot well under MOA with quality ammo

Or you could buy a CZ and just shoot it with the $$ left

CZ's shoot nice out of the box but if you want a Stainless Steel rifle, flush fitting 10 round magizine or a proper 3 position safety you need a 77/22. Plus it gives me the advantage of cheap practice and small game hunting with the same platform I use for big game.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by deflave
Nobody ever tinkers with CZ's...

On the left is a group from my 77/22. The little orange dot fell off due to abuse.

[Linked Image]

That group on the left you shot at 25 yards is somethin else..wow.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I have two and I guess I was "lucky" didn't have to do anything but trigger jobs on them and they shoot. Both are boat paddle stocked - one was a .22 magnum that I installed an after market .17 HRM barrel on and shoots around 1" at 100yds consistently with 17g VMAX; the other is in .22LR that I use as my rainy day squirrel rifle and my informal target gun (we have local shoots here in western PA at 100ft offhand for meat and wood walk shoots at steel target) and it does pretty good at these shoots which are dominated by rifles that are typically very accurate (i.e. Anschutz, CZ, Winchester 52s, Remington 40X and 541s, Coopers, 77/22s even a few RAR are showing up).

I shoot my .22LR with a Nikon EFR that seems to be just about right on this rifle.......I would offer around $450 for it, your friend could probably get a little more if he wanted.

PennDog

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Some day I might find the time to shoot mine and see if it's decent or not.. It's still NIB... Dangit..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I had my 541 stolen out of my truck in the early 90's. At the time, Remington had suspended production on them and was concentrating on center fire only due to Clinton so I was unable to order another one. I bought a new 77/22 Walnut. For some reason I was never able to get it to shoot as good as I had hoped. I moved it about a year later once the 541's were once again available. I have never owned another or ever felt the desire. I know it was only a sample of one, but have several friends that have various models of the 77/22. I have yet to find one that I feel I would care to own. Just my opinion, but the CZ is a much better rifle in my hands. I really enjoy a fine rimfire and have several from various makers. Maybe someday I will try one again.

CK
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Crappie_Killer
I had my 541 stolen out of my truck in the early 90's.
Dang... Sorry to hear of that. Those 541s can flat out SHOOT. I have a 541T and with Eley ammo it will put shots into basically one hole if I do my part.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
518 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 50 invisible), 2,249 guests, and 1,022 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,171
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.