Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Originally Posted by Zerk
Does not explain why they are better. .

Wow - it's been explained to you twice now on this very thread.

I can only lead the horse to water . . .

Pretty much said its better and you are retard for questioning.

I am not convinced it could so far out of whack in the pic, but the points would not show.

I asked for an article, not some guys opinion on a forum. You google how to use scope alignment rods, it doesn't agree. Maybe there is some new way to do it. Maybe either is as good as the other, Maybe doing both would be best.

But bringing two halves to fine point, seems pretty good. The axis of the rod and gun will align with the point. Which is the point of the whole thing.

But I guess you are smarter than the people who make them, and your arguement is cause we said so.

WTF do you think they bother pointing a point on it? Would be cheaper to make without it.

BP-B2

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by wareagle700
I don't know how to explain it, but it happens. Try for yourself.

Yep.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
It's quite simple: The points can be touching and still not reveal a misalignment that the flats will.

Sometimes people who do things differently find a better way.

For example, the first thing I tell people who ask me how to better use a Lee collet size die is to ignore the manufacturer's directions. After the questioner correctly follows the procedure I've outlined they've pretty much always reported superior results.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

Pretty much said its better and you are retard for questioning.

I am not convinced it could so far out of whack in the pic, but the points would not show.

I asked for an article, not some guys opinion on a forum. You google how to use scope alignment rods, it doesn't agree. Maybe there is some new way to do it. Maybe either is as good as the other, Maybe doing both would be best.

But bringing two halves to fine point, seems pretty good. The axis of the rod and gun will align with the point. Which is the point of the whole thing.

But I guess you are smarter than the people who make them, and your arguement is cause we said so.

WTF do you think they bother pointing a point on it? Would be cheaper to make without it.

You have been here for just a little over a month and you have 455 posts. Perhaps it is time that you pay less attention to your keyboard and more attention to your screen.

It could be that the reason the "people who make them"...make them with both a flat and pointed end...is so one can use either. The world in which we all live is not always binary.

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Agreed. I said you could use both.

But as for my time here, just because I just joined doesn't mean I picked up a gun a yesterday. Just as you guys more likely picked up a rifle before you joined.

I do points and a magnifying glass. The points are lined up with the rifle's axis, and come to a point. To be extra careful you could do both. But I assume they come with points for a reason. I am not convinved you guys have re-invented the wheel. Flame away all you want. No one has provided an article.

What we have is you saying articles are just dummies writing stuff. Which can be turned around, if you are able to debate. But I will put weight on what the industry does. For my needs point and magnifying glass I suspect is good. I would suggest magnification either way. But since I just got here, I can't possible know anything.

IC B2

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
[q.make them with both a flat and pointed end...is so one can use either. The world in which we all live is not always binary.

Wouldn't using the flat or the point, be 2 choices?

I realize being new, I can't count.

Last edited by Zerk; 08/12/17.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
[q.make them with both a flat and pointed end...is so one can use either. The world in which we all live is not always binary.

Wouldn't using the flat or the point, be 2 choices?

No. Using points or not using points are two choices.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

But as for my time here, just because I just joined doesn't mean I picked up a gun a yesterday. Just as you guys more likely picked up a rifle before you joined.

I do points and a magnifying glass. The points are lined up with the rifle's axis, and come to a point. To be extra careful you could do both. But I assume they come with points for a reason. I am not convinved you guys have re-invented the wheel. Flame away all you want. No one has provided an article.

What we have is you saying articles are just dummies writing stuff. Which can be turned around, if you are able to debate. But I will put weight on what the industry does. For my needs point and magnifying glass I suspect is good. I would suggest magnification either way. But since I just got here, I can't possible know anything.

Just a simple reply is needed here. When one is doing something that works for him/her...an article is not needed for validation.

And to your point, "But since I just got here, I can't possible[y] know anything." I'll just say 1) Those are your words...not mine. and 2) If you are searching for an implication, I'll say it straight. I am not implying that you know nothing...I am implying that you do not know as much as you think you know.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

You don't count for lots of reasons, but being new here isn't one of them.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I knew you couldn't spell but, honestly, I just assumed you could count.

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Could you place the two bars in a position where the they are perpendicular to one another and still have the points meet exactly?

Yes, you could.

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
[qu

Could you place the two bars in a position where the they are perpendicular to one another and still have the points meet exactly?

Yes, you could.

No you couldn't. They wouldn't touch. One would just be touching one sie of the other. Being point they don't have sides, just trying to dumb it down.

No one is going to tell you, yuo are a moron for even trying use this argument?

Using the flats, and being extra careful, probably works. I don't believe there is a case where that coud be off, and points line up. Points come the tip of the axis,which is what some one tried saying is the point of flats.

Either way will tell you if off alot. I am going to use what the pros use. Next time I will look both ways for amuzement.

Either way, if you really want to know you have to shoot, and than see what happens when you try walking it. Put your target up using a level.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Zerk,

Here's a quote from a chapter of a book called MODERN HUNTING OPTICS, and the chapter is an extended version of an article published in a major American shooting magazine: "Just because two dogs touch noses doesn’t mean their bodies line up. A pair of cone-type alignment rods can work, but only if a straight-edge is placed alongside both rods--or the rods are turned around so their flat ends butt against each other."

If you can't imagine two dogs touching noses, take two sharp pencils and place them on a table. Note that they do NOT have be perfectly in line for their tips to touch. In fact they can be at 90-degree angles to each other.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jeff,

An aluminum scope tube has PLENTY of flex, one reason ring-screws shouldn't be over-tightened, because beyond a certain point the tube will bend and not flex.

I once bought a new rifle that came with a new 3-10x Swarovski Z3. This was a package deal in a major firearms/gunsmithing store in a big Texas city. When I took the rifle to my range for the first time, the scope wouldn't adjust correctly, so I decided to replace it. It took so much effort to back off the ring-screws that they made an audible CRACK when they finally broke free, and when removed the scope has two visible "waists" where the rings had been. However, it did work correctly after the ring-screws were backed off to 20 inch-pounds.

I have run into this several times with scopes installed by supposedly professional gunsmiths, as well as many amateurs. Have even seen variables turned into fixed-powers by over-tightening ring screws. Usually the tube will spring back all right once the rings are loose, but not always. It depends on the thickness of the scope tube, and how hard the installer tightened the screws.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Zerk,

Here's a quote from a chapter of a book called MODERN HUNTING OPTICS, and the chapter is an extended version of an article published in a major American shooting magazine: "Just because two dogs touch noses doesn’t mean their bodies line up. A pair of cone-type alignment rods can work, but only if a straight-edge is placed alongside both rods--or the rods are turned around so their flat ends butt against each other."

If you can't imagine two dogs touching noses, take two sharp pencils and place them on a table. Note that they do NOT have be perfectly in line for their tips to touch. In fact they can be at 90-degree angles to each other.

I get the point. But if you look at them closely, I say they will be lined up. Otherwise the tips will not be fully touching. Just a portion of each. Tips can only touch when they are aligned, otherwise you are off to the side of one of them. They are a fine point, lined with the center of the rod. Not big fat dog nose.

But it is probably good to flip it around and look at it both ways. Like I said I use a magnfying glass.

No, they are not fully touching when perpendicular. Stick your fingers together.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Stick your fingers together.

Pull my finger. Then "bask in my glow."

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Mounted a set of Leupold QR this morning. Alternated holes to 15 inch/lbs. Then took one out at time and put some blue loctite on. Back to 15. Than did all 4 20, and 28. In the past I wasn't putting locker on rings, but decided to here. In the past I probably should have been tqing more often. I think I was actually way under tighening. I thought I was doing the opposite.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Modern Hunting Optics... I wonder who wrote that?
wink

You're a good man, John. We're lucky to have you.

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
If a member wrote it, than it's tainted. Plus some joe blow wants to write about technical stuff. A good hunter may not be the most technically minded person. Conical points can only meet in one place. Myself, I make my living off things being technical and correct. People talking about points being able to meet at 90 degrees, proves my point.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Zerk,

I'd already concluded that you're a troll, but it took longer to fully confirm you're a nitwit.

John Steinbeck
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
678 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 59 invisible), 3,152 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,742
Posts18,401,213
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.