Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
In Texas, we are required to carry a license which includes tags, a form of identification, driver license accepted or an Id issued by the Texas Department of Public Safety. Given the chance of an encounter with the game warden one must produce these items. I don't like packing my wallet out into the hunting venue for chance of it getting dipped in the mud, falling in the water or just plain losing it. I usually make a copy of my driver license which is of questionable legality. Depending on whether I am backpacking, light clothes hunting/fishing my documents may or may not be in my pockets. I find it a rather bothersome production.

I am curious what your requirements are? Do you have a good method of carrying your required documentation?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Whether it's a few hours chasing pheasants or a 12-day backpack hunt in AK I put the tag in my wallet and carry it. It's never been a problem or a production.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Usually in a jacket pocket. If they want my drivers license they can meet me back at the truck.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
In my wallet in my back pocket. My hunting pants have a button down flap so I don't lose it. Fall in the creek? There's nothing in there that a little water will hurt.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
In a plastic folder in my day pack.I never carry my wallet

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In my wallet with my Driver license, CCW permit, money and credit/bank cards.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
in my backpack regardless of where I am, other than at home. And honestly on our home place I rarely have it on me... its usually in the house in the billfold.

In AK I carry a couple of things and thats harvest tags, license, ID, metal bands and such and thats usually in a ziploc in the backpack.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

What Coyote Hunter says. I would rather have all my important stuff on me rather someplace I'm not. Have yet to lose a license, or a wallet.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I keep my license/tags in a zip lock baggie in a small pocket of my hunting pack.

I go wayyyy out of my way to not loose my wallet and sure as hell don't carry my credit cards, drivers license, etc. with me while out hiking around. I keep them stashed and hidden in my vehicle. If they need to identify my body there are other, more reliable ways.

I hunt WY, MT, NV and ID yearly as well as other states some years and have never been told or read that I need to carry my drivers license or other state issued ID card....just my hunting license and tags/permits. Never hunted Texas though.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Reloder28
In Texas, we are required to carry a license which includes tags, a form of identification, driver license accepted or an Id issued by the Texas Department of Public Safety. Given the chance of an encounter with the game warden one must produce these items. I don't like packing my wallet out into the hunting venue for chance of it getting dipped in the mud, falling in the water or just plain losing it. I usually make a copy of my driver license which is of questionable legality. Depending on whether I am backpacking, light clothes hunting/fishing my documents may or may not be in my pockets. I find it a rather bothersome production.

I am curious what your requirements are? Do you have a good method of carrying your required documentation?

I carry mine in a little plastic folder designed for hunting licenses buried in a pocket of my daypack. I've never understood the requirements for other ID--to buy a license in Colorado one has to show other ID like a driver license, etc. Here in Colorado everybody receives a Customer Identification Number (CID). That number is on the license and all of our other info like adddress, SS, drivers license number, and hunter safety card number is on file with the CPW.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

U
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
U
In my wallet, in a ziplock, in the zippered/flap back pocket of my hunting pants.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
In a ziploc after make sure have signed what needs signed then goes in my belly pack that has my knife, permamarker, small tape measure, couple of bandaids, compass, snacks, rangefinder, a few rounds of ammo, etc. When hiking, the belly pack is rotate over my right hip.

A computer once beat me at chess. I then won a kickboxing contest with the same computer. So, 1-1 to date.
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I had a fellow come and hunt with me several years back from NV. He had everything in his wallet,including $400, in his back pocket. He lost it about 1/2 way into camp.I think it worked out because of the cantle pushing on it. We looked all the next day before season started, finally started to checking camps.Yep,some one had picked it up and was nice enough to fess up,including all the money.
What the heck does someone need all their credits cards etc. that they carry in their wallet 5-6 miles back in the wilderness or for that matter anywhere hunting.

Last edited by saddlesore; 08/13/17.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I had a fellow come and hunt with me several years back from NV. He had everything in his wallet,including $400, in his back pocket. He lost it about 1/2 way into camp.I think it worked out because of the cantle pushing on it. We looked all the next day before season started, finally started to checking camps.Yep,some one had picked it up and was nice enough to fess up,including all the money.
What the heck does someone need all their credits cards etc. that they carry in their wallet 5-6 miles back in the wilderness or for that matter anywhere hunting.

Camo wallet?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Bighorn

What Coyote Hunter says. I would rather have all my important stuff on me rather someplace I'm not. Have yet to lose a license, or a wallet.

Me, too. I never put my wallet down. I never put my keys down. I've never lost either one.

Need? If I don't ever take the stuff out of my wallet, I never have to remember to put it back. That's need enough for me.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a MοΏ½bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
In my wallet, which is always in my pocket.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I keep my license/tags in a zip lock baggie in a small pocket of my hunting pack.

I go wayyyy out of my way to not loose my wallet and sure as hell don't carry my credit cards, drivers license, etc. with me while out hiking around. I keep them stashed and hidden in my vehicle. If they need to identify my body there are other, more reliable ways.

I hunt WY, MT, NV and ID yearly as well as other states some years and have never been told or read that I need to carry my drivers license or other state issued ID card....just my hunting license and tags/permits. Never hunted Texas though.

This. I have never seen a warden out in the field and I have only seen one in camp. If they are in camp, they can wait until I unlock the car and show them my license.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

^^^This^^^

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn LabΓ© SkΓ½la~
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
In my wallet my coat pocket

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
I've never understood the requirements for other ID--to buy a license in Colorado one has to show other ID like a driver license, etc. Here in Colorado everybody receives a Customer Identification Number (CID). That number is on the license and all of our other info like adddress, SS, drivers license number, and hunter safety card number is on file with the CPW.

Casey

Well, it's so a DWM who checks you in the field knows that the license is yours, since it has no photo or ht/wt etc. on it. If all you needed was the hunting license, I could use yours and no one who checked me would know the difference.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ro1459

This. I have never seen a warden out in the field and I have only seen one in camp. If they are in camp, they can wait until I unlock the car and show them my license.

Here, you'd be in violation of the law, so you'd be getting a ticket if the "wrong" warden got ahold of you. You have to have it with you at all times.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I don't much anymore since I don't need one to hunt my property.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

Camo wallet?

No Actually it was a sort of pinkish red.Probably faded. Most likely the person that had it picked it up fairly soon when it was dropped,because we covered that part of the trail

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Young son made his older brother and I a nifty little hand stitched two pocket folding shirt pocket type wallet, perfect for license and ID this past elk season. Reminiscent of the little freebie folding plastic wallet thing they used to give you when you bought a license.

Nice and convienent memento of the hunt.

Last edited by kaywoodie; 08/13/17.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I don't much anymore since I don't need one to hunt my property.

Not all of us are so blessed.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
When I do, I carry it in one of those plastic fold things you get at Walmart and typically carry in a breast pocket or jacket pocket.

I don't carry a wallet/ID/keys when I hunt. I hate having all that sheit.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

My wallet is safer in my pocket than left behind in my truck. I know people who have had their vehicle broken into and everything of value taken.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Zip lock bag I have d/l, hunter safety card, harvest ticket/draw permit, hunting license. I leave my wallet at the truck, where I'm going debit/cc is useless.. Where we hunt the parking lot I can leave full gas cans on the trailer etc c and not worry about it. Pretty honest crew of hunters where we hunt. So I don't worry about my truck getting broke into.

Last edited by 79S; 08/14/17.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I always wear an HPG Recon kit bag while hunting. Wallet w/ license and tags and car keys inside a ziplok are zipped inside.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by USMC2602
In my wallet, in a ziplock, in the zippered/flap back pocket of my hunting pants.

There you go +1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Reloader,

I hate wallets and never carry mine.

I put my license, cash, DL, and credit card in one of these:

http://www.gerbergear.com/Activity/EVERYDAY/Gear/GDC-Money-Clip_31-002521

Front right pocket and away I go. Hunting license and tags go back in the truck when I'm done.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I lied about the zip lock baggie in my pack thing...

Actually, I shove my license and tags up my ass to keep them safe and to ensure I have them with me. Then, when a fish cop asks to see them, I pull them out and hand them over.

Word travels quick, and I have only been checked once, much to their loss.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If hunting something requiring a tag, then in a ziplock bag in my pack or a pocket. If no tag is required, e.g. small game, etc. it's in the truck.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In a small ziplock inside a larger ziplock with a sharpie, few additional small ziplocks and some zipties. Stuffed in my pack.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by USMC2602

Hadn't thought about a ziplock bag, but think it is a very good idea. I don't do a lot of water crossings but have done some and will likely do more. Will give a ziplock a try.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
In a plastic folder in my day pack.I never carry my wallet

What he said. With mods - wallet (needful for buying gas etc) goes in a ziplock in the fanny pack.,when leaving the vehicle. Once in camp, it is left there in hidden location in some gear that will certainly be going out with me again.....

When traveling on an airline, needful stuff goes in a zippered pocket on my person. Secondary ID and CC goes somewhere in my carry on.

Last edited by las; 08/22/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I carry my hunting/fishing license in my wallet and my big game tags in my pack inside a ziploc bag.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ziplock bag in my pack forever.....but

Missouri started something new last year.

Digital tag via your smart phone.

With the app you can buy licences, cary them, notch them and check your deer/turkey all in seconds via s network data connection

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Until a couple of years ago, Pa. required you to display your license on your back. So I have several of those tag holders with the 'big safety pin'. I just drop it into a pocket of my pants or coat. If I'm walking to my hunting place, I usually put my LTCF (CCW) card in my shirt pocket. If I drive, then the wallet goes with me in my pants pocket.

Dale

This space for rent

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
I have used ziploc bags before. They work great for sweat protection too.

Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dale K
Until a couple of years ago, Pa. required you to display your license on your back. So I have several of those tag holders with the 'big safety pin'. I just drop it into a pocket of my pants or coat. If I'm walking to my hunting place, I usually put my LTCF (CCW) card in my shirt pocket. If I drive, then the wallet goes with me in my pants pocket.

Dale

It always ticked me off that we had to tag ourselves and display our license.
Now, the pack of tags makes a big lump in your wallet. And I just use the old
License holder. On my back. whistle

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Ziplock bag in my pack forever.....but

Missouri started something new last year.

Digital tag via your smart phone.

With the app you can buy licences, cary them, notch them and check your deer/turkey all in seconds via s network data connection

I like the ziploc bag idea and plan to try it this year. While I've never fallen in water, there is always a first. And I've sat on some rather soggy ground.

Re the smartphone, there is no or very poor cell coverage in may areas here.and the phone better be waterproof or in a bag as well. Would hate to get accosted by DPW with a dead battery or water-soaked/non-working phone. Whatever the DPW uses is impervious to water, falls, dead batteries, etc. and is OK by me. Seems to me if they are going that route all you should need to carry is your photo ID. If you can sign and notch your license via phone, enforcement can look it up.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In South Dakota we're allowed to use an electronic copy so there's one on my phone. And since we can print off copies, there are printed copies in my truck, boat, and 4 wheeler.

My tags are sitting in a folder on top of the safe. The tag to be used is placed in my pack when preparing for a hunt. I currently have 6 tags and don't want to risk trouble by always carrying all of them. I leave the tags in the original envelope and place them in the pouch that was made to carry a water bladder. Being consistent helps me from loosing stuff.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by battue
Usually in a jacket pocket. If they want my drivers license they can meet me back at the truck.

Ditto......the only game wardens I've ever talked to were in their trucks or at check points anyway.
I use one of those plastic holders the vendors give you for the lic/tag. It stays in the console when I'm not hunting.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh.....and when I'm in Colorado......my hunters safety card is with me

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
but how do you carry it?......

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Dang Don, I was hoping you'd chime in. The rest of these guys are rookies, I wanted to see how an experienced elk hunter carries his license.

This is a problem that's been plaguing me for years. Thanks!!

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by huntsman22

In my bino pack you know the pocket on the back...........

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've been doing a lot of reading and this year I'm switching to those grocery store produce bags. Apparently, they're extremely secure.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by kingston
I've been doing a lot of reading and this year I'm switching to those grocery store produce bags. Apparently, they're extremely secure.

Dude. Everyone knows that the dog poop bags you get at the park are the gold standard for how to carry your license.

Friggin rookies.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Since the Colorado license is small, foldable and waterproof

I just fold it around my drivers license and hunters safety card and pitch it in my packs lid pocket

Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico and Missouri are printed on paper so I put them in a ziplock

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm reminded of Henri Charrière's novel Papillon. He describes a storage device called a 'charger'. He lists an incredible variety of things stored in one, but never a hunting license.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Frenchies don't hunt.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
After all this postulation I suppose I will settle on a neck lanyard pocket. It will serve my needs best.It will always be on me & easily accessible.

Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Reloder28
After all this postulation I suppose I will settle on a neck lanyard pocket. It will serve my needs best.It will always be on me & easily accessible.

I use a neck lanyard for my yardage dope cheatsheet.

Since my eyesight changed in my mid 40's and I now require reading glasses the small font needs to be bigger and held at or beyond arm length.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I use a neck lanyard for my yardage dope cheatsheet.

Since my eyesight changed in my mid 40's and I now require reading glasses the small font needs to be bigger and held at or beyond arm length.

Amen to that.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ziploc here. For shorter day hunts I put wallet containing license etc. in a ziploc and put that in my daypack just to keep things out of my pants pockets. Hunting in pouring rain is normal for our part of the world, and anything we don't want wet better be inside something waterproof. For extra precaution, put the ziploc inside a small cloth stuff sack or travel neck pouch to protect the plastic from punctures. I only do that when wade fishing for salmon and stick my cell phone into the ziploc inside the neck pouch.

For longer, steeper and multi-day backpack hunts, I take license, tags, driver's license and a credit card in a ziploc and leave all else. The driver's license and credit card are just in case I wind up somewhere other than planned. whistle I usually stick a few 20's in there as well.

Last edited by Okanagan; 08/26/17. Reason: clarity
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
In my billfold.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I carry my lifetime hunting and fishing licenses in my wallet.

I carry the paper deer and turkey tags tri-folded in a #10 envelope that is inside a zip-loc bag and that is carried in my day-pack. I carry a few sandwich size zip-loc bags and large safety pins to attached the used tags to the carcass while it is in transit to the check station and then on to the processor. The cancelled tag in the bag is pinned inside the deer's ear or to the turkey's leg.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Since I get mine online, I make many copies, put them in ziplock bags, and rathole them in hunting vests, vehicle, etc. The one I carry is in my wallet. If it gets trashed I fish out a fresh one from my stash. I have used waterproof paper for printing, but it doesn't fold up so swell. I also carry a couple of $50's for use in case I need assistance getting a big deer out of the woods.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
tags/license, hunter safety card (Wyo requires this to be carried in the field) and DL/PID in one of the Walmart special tag wallets usually in a side zippered pants pocket of backpack pocket

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
tags/license, hunter safety card (Wyo requires this to be carried in the field) and DL/PID in one of the Walmart special tag wallets usually in a side zippered pants pocket of backpack pocket
Oh.....and when I'm in Colorado......my hunters safety card is with me

or Wyo

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I have separate wallet I keep my WIN Card,licenses/tags in along with my firearms license. It all goes in a Ziploc freezer bag in my day pack.
Bird hunting, it goes in my vest. I like the freezer bag as it is heavier plastic.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 70 invisible), 2,243 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,123
Posts18,464,608
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.