Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Anjin
Originally Posted by desertshooter
Originally Posted by memtb
slingblade, I don't remember when I started using (homemade)sticks.....But it's been a long darn time!! My longest (not that long for some) has been an elk at 400 and most recently an antelope @ 420 and a coyote @ 380 during the "goat" hunt. Sticks can be used for much more than just shooting. Can help with balance in rough terrain also we've used them several times to cross a snow covered rock fields to prevent stepping between rocks and "bust'n" an ankle or leg! memtb

I've used 4' hardwood dowels with a leather wrap forearm protector, everything to build a set or two can be had at home depot or local hardware store for $4-5 bucks
Desertshooter

Four foot 0.5" poplar dowels are now going over $4 each at MY local hardware store.

That said, while light collapsible hiking sticks are a great option and I do have a couple, I did buy the poplar dowels too and I am now treating them with tung oil.

I do recall when I hunted in Zambia, the professional hunter did bring along a set of 4' wooden sticks for us to use.

(It may not be PC to say so, but one of the trackers was tasked with carrying them. On his behalf, unlike some others, our PH did carry his own rifle. He had served in the King's African Rifles back in the days of Northern Rhodesia and knew the value of having it on hand.)

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I say use what you like. I like using a bipod.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
For those interested, the bog Pod is on sale at amazon. Clip for the coupon and the total is $49. I bought one last week. I like it. Midway has them for $90.

https://www.amazon.com/BOG-POD-RLD-...01891743&sr=8-8&keywords=bog+pod

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the ones made by Stoney Point. Light and quick.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
If I am hiking any distance I carry a set of shooting sticks similar to the Primos Polecat, if I am hunting off the ATV I have used a Bog-Pod for more than a decade now.

That said last season I used my buddy's Primos Trigger Sticks and they are head and heels over my Bog-Pod and are on my to get list.

Ted
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Anjin, I upgraded (I think) a few years ago to 4 foot long , 1/2" fiberglass rods with rubber chairleg cups on the end, lashed together with leather. Initially had a little trouble on hard, smooth surfaces. I removed the rubber cup, and inserted a brass rivet. Now, it has " traction" on most any surface! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by slingblade
I am looking for advice on what you guys use. I can see pro and cons of both. I understand most elk shot close. But where we hunting there is the chance for some 400 to 500 shots across canyons.

You don't have top choose between them. In this case I used the Primos Trigger Stick, 272 yards.

[Linked Image]

Nowadays I use the Primos Trigger Stick tripod rather than their bipod and dispense with the rifle mounted bipod. Took my longest game shot ever off the tripod, 487 yards, cow down.

Upside of the sticks is they can be used as a cane, although Primos instructions say not to do so. Before my hip replacement, as in photo above, I couldn't have gotten around without something and the Trigger Stick worked pretty well. Downside to the sticks is you have to carry them in hand. Tripod is much more stable than bipod, although bipod can be steadied against a tree for more stability.

Downside to the rifle mounted bipods are several, but they have advantages, too. Downsides have been mentioned in posts above by others.

I have had my eyes on those. I like that they have a handle above the tripod junction. Would you be able to extend one of the three legs and use it for a walking stick? Too heavy? Sturdy enough?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
They are great. 330yards uphill no problem.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

635 members (163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1234, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,319 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,619
Posts18,455,052
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.