Mike

BP-B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
UB yesterday, taking the day off today.

Decided to do a light cardio day, stationary bike. 35 minutes, intervals, the odometer said 13 miles.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
light body weight routine this AM- five sets of 40 push-ups, 40 sit-ups and 10 pull-ups- heading for Bozeman in a couple of hours for tomorrows race

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
well I'm back home licking my wounds!

Borrowing info from a blog on the Bridger Ridge Run I laid out a plan for a sub six hour finish (my finish in 2014 was 6:39, my 2012 finish 7:49) with goal split times for major land marks. The race starts out with a really brutal climb- ascending over 2000' in 2.5 miles, to add a little misery to this , the narrow trail is strewn with rock of varying size, making footing tricky. My goal split for summiting Sacajawea Peak was one hour. I passed quite a few folks on the way up and made it in 50 minutes- 10 minutes to the good. After summiting the peak the route drops off quickly for a really tricky descent through loose talus- I brought a pair of stout gloves (seeing others doing this in past years) to assist the downhill- it really helped.

The route then turns into one of the very few runnable sections, I felt like I was making pretty good time on this stretch. The next split goal was at Ross Pass where the first aid station is (5 miles in)- goal was 2 hours 10 minutes (elapsed) I made it just under two hours- sweet! I went right through the aid station as I had ample water/calories- it was tempting to stop and rest, but pressed on. The climb out of Ross Pass might be the worst climb of the race (of many. many bad climbs!). It's tiptoe steep, grabbing trees/bushes steep, make you cry like a baby steep smile Even making it to the top of the ridge wasn't the relief I was hoping for- really tricky up/down rocky sections- very slow going and labor intensive. After what seemed like forever I could finally hear the yelling coming from the Bridger Bowl aid station- frankly I was in poor condition going into this aid station.

My split goal for this aid station was 3 hours 15 minutes, I had lost the 10-ish minute buffer I had and added an additional 5 minutes- I was still pretty pleased with being so close to the splits. I knew I needed to stop at this aid station and get a little sit down rest. My stomach wasn't great, but managed to eat a little. I filled up my 2 liter bladder which had about .5 liters remaining- so I was drinking pretty good. I had also been taking in small bits of calories and electrolytes on a timely basis. I left after about five minutes, but was hoping I would have felt more relieved/rested, but I wasn't. The next stretch to Saddle Peak has several smaller, but steep climbs. This is where the wheels came off. Whenever I start climbing, I was getting a massive cramp the full length of my inner left quad. There was so severe it involuntarily straightened my entire leg. I've never cramped there before, almost every race I get calf cramps towards the end, but have learned to deal with them. I knew I was in big trouble. I took a handful of electrolytes and really hit the water hard, to no avail. If the route was relatively level or downhill, I was OK- if it was the least bit steep- very painful cramps. I made it to the base of Saddle Peak (12 miles in) and looked up- the trail goes straight up to the peak- not a single switchback. I could see tiny colored dot ascending the steep peak- they looked like ants. It was a very sobering moment.

[Linked Image]

I knew I had no choice but to turn around and head back the two miles to the Bridger Bowl aid station and call it a day. Of course I'm heading the wrong way on a very narrow travel and lots of folks heading the right direction. Lots of supportive folks on the way back, probably most have been in a similar position. I made it to the aid station and officially dropped. I had to wait until the station was closed with the cut off time- I was in pretty good company with about twenty other folks who had to call it. We had to hike another 3 miles to the crews waiting vehicles where they shuttled us back to the finish line (about a 20 mile trip).

What went wrong? I can only speculate. Too aggressive start possibly. I raced the weekend before, where typically my races are spaced roughly a month apart. Combination of both? It could have simply not just been my day. Either way I got a solid seventeen training miles in laugh

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Congrats on a great effort, the only failure is in not trying. I went on the Winddrinkers sight and they showed the course in enough detail to scare off most people. That medial quad cramp is very difficult to stretch out and hurts for days after. That hike out must have been brutal. Good time for a deep muscle massage from a big hairy guygrin

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Awesome country that. I'd venture that running in that terrain will have you well prepared for hunting season, no matter the outcome of racing against the nutcases (and I mean that in the best possible way) who finish.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
thanks gents! yup- great (but rugged) country to train in smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That left inside quad is exactly what cramps after I do long rides (40+).... never had it happen while exercising, though, only later that day. That there is no fun at all. But you made it farther faster than 99.999% of guys your age could've. Good work!

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
But you made it farther faster than 99.999% of guys your age could've. Good work!

Jeez Jeff, you just called him old, lighten up on the old fart or Battue is gonna pay you a visit!!

Seriously though, age has little to do with it, that was better than 99% of guys at any age.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
thank you Sirs smile it's really common for me to calve cramps towards the end of a race, first time with these and hopefully last!

any luck with the speed goats?

Last edited by mtwarden; 08/13/17.
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You can't train any more than you have. So what is the answer? Train different?

Get it next year.

(One swimmer had a guy he couldn't beat, so he trained harder. Next big meet he only lost by a fraction of a second. So he trained harder. Next meet his nemesis crushed him big.
Both swimmers ended their competitive swimming but met up one day. The one said, I almost beat you once, so I trained harder then you crushed me.The winner replied, I knew you were gaining on me, and I knew I couldn't train any harder. The only thing left was to train differently.)

Last edited by battue; 08/13/17.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
SP- good point.

Mike- got into 2 small groups today! Had there been a decent buck in the first group I'd be tagged out. Second group had a "maybe" shooter (and understand, I'm NOT a trophy hunter, so this was a total dink viewed through that lens) but I couldn't get closer than ~ 600 yards and that was too far in the conditions. Been covering a lot of ground! Yesterday the GPS had me at 8+ miles at between 7500 and 8900 feet elevation. For me, that was a day. I understand you do that before work at 4:30 in the morning. smile

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Seperatly, the PF foot is participating with no restrictions and in full pads <g>.... loving the Salomon's , both the low and high versions. Wish I had a non-Goretex version for this particular hunt but even still, they are comfortable. Using the stock Ortholight footbed inserts in them.

Last edited by Jeff_O; 08/13/17.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Seperatly, the PF foot is participating with no restrictions and in full pads <g>.... loving the Salomon's , both the low and high versions. Wish I had a non-Goretex version for this particular hunt but even still, they are comfortable. Using the stock Ortholight footbed inserts in them.

Post a pic or it didn't happen. A pronghorn buck, not your foot!!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Jeff- sounds like you're having fun, best of luck with the rest of your hunt; I'm no trophy hunter either- simply like to get out and I do enjoy eating wild meat smile

battue- few things cross my mind - getting on that course a month out or so would probably be worth it; the splits I was using might have been too aggressive; I would not run a race the weekend before next time; you can't do too many hill repeats laugh

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
mtwarden.

What footwear were you using?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
La Sportiva Mutants- they have a very sticky outsoles compound and pretty aggressive cleats for the loose stuff. This was a new pair that I sized up a 1/2 size as my other pair was a little snug in the toe box.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
strength trained this morning- 3x5 bench, push presses, 3x11 pull-ups, 3x30 dips, core

NO squats- my legs are pretty sore, especially behind and just above my knees (lower hamstring???)

supposed to only get into the 70's today, so brought my running stuff with to work- if I go it'll be an easy 4-5 miles; something to get the blood pumping in the legs

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by mtwarden
La Sportiva Mutants- they have a very sticky outsoles compound and pretty aggressive cleats for the loose stuff. This was a new pair that I sized up a 1/2 size as my other pair was a little snug in the toe box.

Thanks,

Ever hunt in them?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by mtwarden
strength trained this morning- 3x5 bench, push presses, 3x11 pull-ups, 3x30 dips, core

NO squats- my legs are pretty sore, especially behind and just above my knees (lower hamstring???)

supposed to only get into the 70's today, so brought my running stuff with to work- if I go it'll be an easy 4-5 miles; something to get the blood pumping in the legs

Not to be a smart azz, but I've been thinking there may be a crash coming. Hard to do for the addicted, but heal up. You won't lose any ground.

Last edited by battue; 08/14/17.

Page 54 of 79 1 2 52 53 54 55 56 78 79

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
663 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 75 invisible), 2,743 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,640
Posts18,399,000
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.