Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Any advice running it downriver from the bridge? I'm pretty good at reading water and my jon boat runs real shallow with the tunnel and floatation pods. Thinking about using it this year to look for caribou with my boy. He drew his first permit and thought it would be fun way to get him onto an animal. Probably be a chitt show with everybody else doing it but it is what it is with the DC485 tag,

GB1

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan
Any advice running it downriver from the bridge? I'm pretty good at reading water and my jon boat runs real shallow with the tunnel and floatation pods. Thinking about using it this year to look for caribou with my boy. He drew his first permit and thought it would be fun way to get him onto an animal. Probably be a chitt show with everybody else doing it but it is what it is with the DC485 tag,

My buddy ran his jet ranger down it with no issues. Also there was a fella that ran his jet ski down the river shot a caribou as well. He said he just had to watch out for rocks.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have only hunted the upper portion non motorized. Sounds fun. Hope your boy gets 1. Lookin forward to the report

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Figure it can't be much different from every other rocky, sandy, silty, glacial river I've run around on. The mailman just dropped off a set of those UHMW intake fins that srwshooter makes. I'm going to stick them on and see if they change the performance at all.

Attached Images
IMG_2092 (2).JPG (33.59 KB, 37 downloads)
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Did this last year for the first time. Floated down and airboat pickup be allen at maclaren lodge. Floating down was easy but a pain as i would bottom out my kayak in shallow water often and have to get out and drag. I went down 10 miles and harvested my bou and was picked up by maclaren lodge who ran full speed up the channels by memory. If you dont know the channels it will be trial and error finding your way up and down very deceptive. Either i would follow allen the first time or try going up the big su aways. He charges by the boat so very reasonable....

Last edited by sollybug; 08/15/17.
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I have no clue if we'll ever take our airboat to AK, but I bet it might open up some areas to less people at times...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by sollybug
Did this last year for the first time. Floated down and airboat pickup be allen at maclaren lodge. Floating down was easy but a pain as i would bottom out my kayak in shallow water often and have to get out and drag. I went down 10 miles and harvested my bou and was picked up by maclaren lodge who ran full speed up the channels by memory. If you dont know the channels it will be trial and error finding your way up and down very deceptive. Either i would follow allen the first time or try going up the big su aways. He charges by the boat so very reasonable....

Airboats float over bars that stop most anything. They have impressed me many, many times.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Unless the bar is sticky... LOL.. or covered in green sappy grass... sometimes all the displacement in the world gets you only stuck worse than you've ever been. Of course the times I've been stuck, I've never stepped out of teh boat into water... cept that one time in sand....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by rost495
I have no clue if we'll ever take our airboat to AK, but I bet it might open up some areas to less people at times...

I bet if you did bring it to Delta you'd be pretty popular. 😉

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Well I'm going to give it a go anyways. I don't have airboat capabilities but I only need a few inches of water to skim over. Should be fun if nothing else!

[Linked Image]

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Unless the bar is sticky... LOL.. or covered in green sappy grass... sometimes all the displacement in the world gets you only stuck worse than you've ever been. Of course the times I've been stuck, I've never stepped out of teh boat into water... cept that one time in sand....

You have a P-tex bottom on it, Jeff?

Ptarmigan, I hope you have a wonderful time and get a monster 'bou! I am envious, for sure!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

Ptarmigan, I hope you have a wonderful time and get a monster 'bou! I am envious, for sure!

Ed

Thanks Ed! I'm leaving it up to the boy with what he wants to shoot and how soon he wants to shoot one (given we get a choice). I'm getting the feeling he isn't going to be real picky! He's dialed in with the 6.5x55 and ready to go.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
P-tarm

Go git him one!
Post pics.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

You have a P-tex bottom on it, Jeff?

Ed

UHMV I think is the term. All 7 foot wide and 16 feet long have 5/16 on it, to be 3/8 if I get my way while rebuilding it all.

It still can get sticky when it warms up... and green grass with sap and sticky mud, and sand of damn near any flavor can be dangerous.
Let the grass die or freeze... even with the old motor I could drive around the pasture .....

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

I bet if you did bring it to Delta you'd be pretty popular. 😉

Yeah, dont' ya know they'd just love the loud SOB... LOL.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not to be a nit picker, but the term is Ultra High Molecular Weight (UHMW)

P-tex is a trade name for a polyethelene based UHMW, most commonly known to skiers and snowboarders as the base material of skis and boards.

Kinda sorta same same.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
UHMW fins courtesy of srwshooter from the forums and James river jets. Installed the fins today and I'm looking forward to seeing how they work. I'm hoping they help reduce the slide and bumpy water cavitation a little bit. I've never whacked any big rocks but can see how these could help if I did. Easy install anyways.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
P-tex is a trade name for a polyethelene based UHMW, most commonly known to skiers and snowboarders as the base material of skis and boards.
Kinda sorta same same.

Yup, I'm just hung up on the old slang for UHMW. blush grin

All I know is how slick it is, even over dry asphalt pavement. I was riding with a Trooper up in Fairbanks while there on TDY when we see this airboat come plowing out of a bar, onto Airport Road and take off. The bartender had taken away his truck keys 'cause he was too drunk to drive. The enterprising airboat owner just drove the airboat off of the trailer and took off for home. He couldn't believe he could be arrested for DUI in his airboat! grin

BTW the UHMW was much worse for the wear!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Kinda sorta same same.

Yup, I'm just hung up on the old slang for UHMW. blush grin

All I know is how slick it is, even over dry asphalt pavement. I was riding with a Trooper up in Fairbanks while there on TDY when we see this airboat come plowing out of a bar, onto Airport Road and take off. The bartender had taken away his truck keys 'cause he was too drunk to drive. The enterprising airboat owner just drove the airboat off of the trailer and took off for home. He couldn't believe he could be arrested for DUI in his airboat! grin

BTW the UHMW was much worse for the wear!

Ed

LOL!!
I remember that. On a bet to go from Pikes Landing to the Lonely Lady giddy bar.

As I heard it anyway. Also that the bozo made it.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpYHj7bHZwo

Someone hot link it if they can or whatever its called.... I know Stan and his son that build American airboats..... its worth a watch for sure, and only due to the ending blocked with trees and no brakes on an airboat... did Stan loose...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

667 members (10ring1, 1234, 19rabbit52, 1badf350, 007FJ, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,783 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,694
Posts18,456,642
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.