Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#12203762 08/12/17
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Do elk cows go through more than one estrus during the rut?

BP-B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Yes, if they don't get bred the first time.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yup, if the head bozo doesn't get her the 1st time around. They can go through several cycles if necessary.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Placing a prediction for Colorado/central rockys elk every year, batting .500 , I am.
With the September new moon @ the 20th , I'll wager early rutting activities with an earlier peak around the 4th of October and less vocal bulls by the end of muzzle loading season ~ 1st rifle.
Banking the wager (swag) on the September new moon intensifying the shorting days.

Clinging to my God, and my guns!
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by K_Salonek
Placing a prediction for Colorado/central rockys elk every year, batting .500 , I am.
With the September new moon @ the 20th , I'll wager early rutting activities with an earlier peak around the 4th of October and less vocal bulls by the end of muzzle loading season ~ 1st rifle.
Banking the wager (swag) on the September new moon intensifying the shorting days.

Since you are able to observe Elk alot I want to ask you about the effect of the full moon during the Elk Rut. My Wife has a either sex Elk tag for here in Arkansas, this will be Oct. 2-5 when the Full Moon will begin but hopefully still rutting.
I hunted in NM and WY. after the rut with a full moon and it was tough but was not sure how much of that was the Moon phase or previous pressure.
Thanks

You will not make peace with the Blue Coats, you are free to go
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

The end of muzzleloader season this year is on September 17th. Where I hunt, the peak of the rut has always been before October 4th so a peak around the 4th would be late for us.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I always felt the peak rut was Sept 20-25

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by saddlesore

Me too. And I think weather can and does effect rutting activity.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by DLALLDER
Do elk cows go through more than one estrus during the rut?

On New Year's day in 1997 we were at the Jackson Hole Elk Refuge a day after a small group of unbred cows blew in from parts unknown. Some or all of them were in estrus. Every big bull in the area went into rut............of course they were being fed at the time and it was kinda' funny watching the bulls with their little harems and staking a claim around various piles of hay.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Well if you can feel it, just think what the bulls must feel......

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by smokepole

Well if you can feel it, just think what the bulls must feel......
I get that way about Labor day and don't get back to normal until about Dec 1.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That must be how you can bust a rib, but keep on going...... grin

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
That must be how you can bust a rib, but keep on going...... grin

I'm going to try real hard no to do that this year.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If God had wanted you to ride mules, he would've given you stouter ribs.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
LOL

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
If God had wanted you to ride mules, he would've given you stouter ribs.

I only broke them once riding a mule , three that time when I baled off a runaway. The others were: falling on some wire milk crates when hanging a tent up in the garage, slipping on a snow covered log that had a short limb hidden in the snow while chasing elk, falling thru the glass in a greenhouse while fixing the glass on top. That one really hurt as I Ianded on the steam pipe, falling off hay wagon, when the stack gave away.

But you may have a point there. However,I ride a shorter mule now so I don't fall as far.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
However,I ride a shorter mule now so I don't fall as far.

Improvise, and overcome.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D

Would you give me your prediction on the rut in, around the Plains, Thompson Falls area of Montana? The wife and I will be there
Late October/early November.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Nomosendero2

Since you are able to observe Elk alot I want to ask you about the effect of the full moon during the Elk Rut. My Wife has a either sex Elk tag for here in Arkansas, this will be Oct. 2-5 when the Full Moon will begin but hopefully still rutting.
I hunted in NM and WY. after the rut with a full moon and it was tough but was not sure how much of that was the Moon phase or previous pressure.
Thanks

I believe latitude could have a lot to do with the peak of rut. I should clarify the peak of first esturs and overlapping second esturs, I believe will be early then average. Assuming that overlapping time is what drives bulls totally crazy?
And only basing this on the shortening days vs the new moon, adding what might be wet fall if the Colorado trend continues.
No idea what the Arkansas elk will be doing as far as rut goes. Again my assumption is it will be earlier then your used to. Other then a full-moon does seem to effect feeding habits. In short, making it harder to catch elk moving through transition areas (feeding ~ bedding areas). Hunting the full moon in Arkansas, It's my guess you'll be finding, elk in heavy cover during shooting hours .

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DLALLDER

Would you give me your prediction on the rut in, around the Plains, Thompson Falls area of Montana? The wife and I will be there
Late October/early November.

Again just a swag, betting earlier then your used to.
I am fairly certain the shorting days of fall help trip bulls into rut.
A new moon added to the sharp shortening on daylight to me seems to be a mood enhancer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
454 members (160user, 1Longbow, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 49 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 951 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,110
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.