24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am not dogmatic in training methods. As a LE trainer, all I ever gave a damn about was safety and results.

I demonstrated basic, foolproof fundamentals and established what would and wouldn't fly on my range. Beyond that, the student was free to solve various shooting problems using any safe shooting stance or grip that worked with their anatomy, physical strengths and weaknesses, hand size and chosen or issued weapon. This sounds like mess but isn't. I corrected as needed and it worked like gangbusters with a wide variety of shooters.

I've had to correct plenty of bad training provided by so called kombat egg-spurts at several of MO's little coin-op police academies. I've had guys trained by these fooktards who couldn't keep 12 rounds in the 8 ring of a B27 from 15 yards, given 20 seconds from the holster, with a reload. They had these people for FOUR MONTHS. WTF??

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
BP-B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Greg, thank you, once again.

Pete

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Nothing like bad publicity to get you publicity. Seems like Dave went off on a rant and now it's everywhere. I can say I've never met him, nor do I have anything against him, but I have a different take on the instructor/training situation. For the record, I have an NRA pistol instructor cert (almost a joke to get) and shot competitively for 25 years (not a joke). I've never taught a formal class though - nor is it a goal of mine.

First, three things have to be noted. One is defensive training appropriate for a potentially life threatening situation using a handgun. Two, the business of firearms and shooting. Third, shooting skill. They overlap, but not always. It sounds to me like Dave is saying some instructors in the second category and maybe a little of the third category are promoting training for the first category. I concur, that could be an issue. If someone genuinely wants to learn about personal defense with a handgun, it's best to find a experts (plural) in that area - and it's easier said than done. I highly suggest one of those instructors in the defensive pistol class be an attorney - which to my knowledge Dave is not.

In the second category, WTFC? That's who the f*** cares? Not that I'm into it, but if someone wants to pay an "instructor" to shoot tannerite targets with a mini gun while hanging upside down from a helicopter and completely dressed in tacticool garb - great. Have at it. Might be fun, and there's nothing wrong with that. More power to the instructor for capitalizing on a business opportunity. The tactical stuff isn't my style, but it's not different than the wanna-be Harley warriors donning leather chaps and vests on the weekends. Again, not my type, but have at it and kudos to the guys making money at it.

Finally the last category - which is a little closer to me personally. In my experience, and this is just my personal experience, the shooters in the first two categories aren't that good - in the true definition of shooting skill and marksmanship. It's more of did you stop the threat, did you hit the tannerite, can you shoot effectively while moving, etc. Not that those aren't are super valuable skills for their respective categories, but fast, clean, precise, accurate shooting generally doesn't happen in either of the first two. It's the experts in 3-gun, USPSA, IDPA, steel challenge, Camp Perry, Bullseye, etc. that get the nod for the last category.

Caveat emptor. There are no rigid checks and balances as to exactly what category an instructor's class fits. It's up to the student to decide the type of training and research the appropriate method of seeking that training themselves. Negatively slamming your business competition in an emotional rant though only comes across as childish, desperate, demeaning, and even incompetent.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
There have been ass holes and charlatan's in the firearms business for a long, long, long time.

It's hardly something new.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Competitive shooting is excellent for mastering the mechanics of accuracy, and gun handling w/ the pressure of performing in front of your peers. It does nothing to address the key elements of positive target identification/discrimination that are essential in a defensive context. I can shoot targets faster than I can effectively discriminate bad guys from good and will a pass through strike an innocent.

Speed must be moderated by perfect target ID and absolutely not missing. This goal takes a lot of work and would help a seeker find a good teacher.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Originally Posted by Steelhead
who is Mannlicher, and why should ANYONE care what he thinks?

+1

you are truly a royal phuggup Scott. laughing.

who is Mannlicher and why should ANYONE care what he thinks?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by deflave
There have been ass holes and charlatan's in the firearms business for a long, long, long time.

Dave

And a few of the charlatan's have their nuts licked. The 'Fire is a perfect example.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I wonder if I can get me some 5.11's in this print? Nobody wants to take a roundhouse from these bad boys!!!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
The biggest problem that I've identified in the training industry is that so few instructors understand how to teach, and IMO that's because so few of them really know what they're doing in the first place.

Running shooters though drills is not the same as teaching people to shoot, but it's a lot easier.

The best class I've ever taken was taught by a total dick of a guy in raggedy clothes who shouted obscenities and mocked me for two days. But he knew how to shoot and how to diagnose shooting problems like no one else I've ever met.

You're welcome. You were a hard student to teach.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I wonder if I can get me some 5.11's in this print? Nobody wants to take a roundhouse from these bad boys!!!

Great scene from a hilarious movie.

If you like that, you need to watch The Foot Fist Way:

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by deflave

Dave

And a few of the charlatan's have their nuts licked. The 'Fire is a perfect example.

Fact.

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gmoats
who is Dave Spaulding, and why should I care what he thinks?

…..if you don't know, then you shouldn't care.

frankly I don't. I'll leave this one to the experts like you. smile

Sam......

G
gmoats Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G

…there was nothing "snarky" meant in my comment. My "expertise" or lack thereof is irrelevant---sorry if my comment offended you.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Another brilliant Mannlicher post.

Just stops in to state he doesn't know WTF anybody is talking about and wouldn't care if he did.

Clark

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
gmoats

…there was nothing "snarky" meant in my comment. My "expertise" or lack thereof is irrelevant---sorry if my comment offended you.

not offended at all, but your reply is more than fair. Thanks.

Sam......

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
588 members (160user, 219 Wasp, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 56 invisible), 2,397 guests, and 1,106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,217
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.