Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
So what happened to the rest of the moose meat?

And the rest of the cape?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
BP-B2

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Hey Sitka I send this to you in pm but you are over your limit. Anyhow you headed into your moos hunting area you were in last year?

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Small moose?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 79S
Hey Sitka I send this to you in pm but you are over your limit. Anyhow you headed into your moos hunting area you were in last year?

Yup, the same place... going in just before the season starts...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender

Small moose?

Why save a cape from a small moose? Cut properly a moose cape is a huge chunk of very thick hide.

IC B2

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

Yup, the same place... going in just before the season starts...

Good luck might wander in there around the 15th or so maybe sooner all depends how crossing the delta river pans out. I drew a any bull permit for 20A. We have the boat to haul wheelers across the few braids that are not crossable on a wheeler. Just need to put the plan together..

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole

Yup, ice chests weigh too much.....

Depends entirely on the cooler. There are plenty of inexpensive lightweight Igloos and Colemans to pick from. Not the best coolers, but plenty good enough for shipping meat.

And a strip of duct tape around the seam adds to the insulation value measurably.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ironbender

Small moose?

Why save a cape from a small moose? Cut properly a moose cape is a huge chunk of very thick hide.

smile
That's a joke son!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

The remainder of the meat was separated into 7 game bags and distributed to folks on his call list. The entire cape was brought home - from the shoulders to the tip on the nose.
Anything else?

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bigwhoop

The remainder of the meat was separated into 7 game bags and distributed to folks on his call list. The entire cape was brought home - from the shoulders to the tip on the nose.
Anything else?

Ordinary bull moose cape, salted, dried, and most salt shaken off, will weigh a hell of a lot more than 25 pounds. Lots of capes are ruined by cutting short... front of shoulders is too short. Rear of shoulders is a yard back.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Anything else?

Ordinary bull moose cape, salted, dried, and most salt shaken off, will weigh a hell of a lot more than 25 pounds. Lots of capes are ruined by cutting short... front of shoulders is too short. Rear of shoulders is a yard back.

I generically said "shoulders" not front of shoulders. My definition of "cape" is a suitable amount of hide to create a full shoulder mount. Anything else?

Last edited by bigwhoop; 08/13/17.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Anything else?

I generically said "shoulders" not front of shoulders. My definition of "cape" is a suitable amount of hide to create a full shoulder mount. Anything else?

If cut behind the shoulders, as is required by virtually all taxidermists, a cape weighs a hell of a lot more than 25 pounds...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
dried salted it might not hit 25. LOL. I don't recall.

4 inches behind the front leg for me as a minimum but WTF would I know...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My buddy shot a bull moose (Sitka ) knows the country. Anyhow it was over 50 he said he was getting a shoulder mount. First time I rolled the guts out of moose. Got dark we got him opened to cool. Went in next morning to start the job. Good lord talk about work lol. We hauled I swear 100lbs of hide lol. I'm sure it was less than that but it was a two man operation lifting that thing.

Last edited by 79S; 08/14/17.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
My initial comment was to illustrate what I did in '15 with a my cape, meat and antlers. It was meant to be one option to the OP's questions. It was not intended to debate the finer points of proper caping and lawful meat handling. The lesson learned here is that remaining silent is a better course of action. I see why so many on the Alaksan Outdoor site have adapted the same policy.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 79S
My buddy shot a bull moose (Sitka ) knows the country. Anyhow it was over 50 he said he was getting a shoulder mount. First time I rolled the guts out of moose. Got dark we got him opened to cool. Went in next morning to start the job. Good lord talk about work lol. We hauled I swear 100lbs of hide lol. I'm sure it was less than that but it was a two man operation lifting that thing.

I took 6 inches behind the front leg. Ringed my moose(over 50-squeaky) and cut the head off at the first joint with a knife.

Thought just getting that head/hide combo onto the 6 wheeler all by myself a few years ago around 1am would kill me. Evidently it did not.

This after thinking I could lift a complete hind in the bed myself too... my age is making me soft.. had to drag both hinds in while standing on the 6 wheeler.

Aint much on a moose small or light.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The guy who trucks stuff ..is peterbuilt 379 ....he's on the fire now and then.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My initial comment was to illustrate what I did in '15 with a my cape, meat and antlers. It was meant to be one option to the OP's questions. It was not intended to debate the finer points of proper caping and lawful meat handling. The lesson learned here is that remaining silent is a better course of action. I see why so many on the Alaksan Outdoor site have adapted the same policy.

Comparing aod and 24hr is never a good plan... aod allows posters to say anything, even ridiculosly false stuff that may cause others issues. Getting real help is far more important IMO. Which may explain why aod is a ghost town these days. Only the clueless remain.

Your have a fine answer for the disposition of meat... but if you are maintaining the cape only weighed 25# you are very wrong.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
750 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 86 invisible), 2,788 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,400,027
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.