Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Just realized the Chevrolet is blowing straight hot air even when set to cold, A/C on or off it doesn't change temp of air coming from vents.

Can hear compressor kicking on when set to defrost or when AC button pushed.

2006 Silverado, dual climate control, 190k.

Any off the top of your head thoughts?

Gonna use Googler to get some ideas as well.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 06/30/17.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Blend door or blend door actuator?

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
And now, 10 minutes later it is cold again.

Found something about blend actuator door or motor.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by K1500
Blend door or blend door actuator?

Spot on ...common issue

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Found a couple vids on the Youtube about replacing the actuator.

Working fine for now but I won't put up with it for long. I work in the heat all day so when I want cold air I want it for sure.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Mine cost around 800 I believe to fix, 4 hours labor.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Funny thing is the part is only about $50.00 and you can do it yourself... No need to pay that damn much money for some damn monkey to put his greasy hands on your fu cking truck... The last one I did, took 45 minutes... You do the math... whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Funny thing is the part is only about $50.00 and you can do it yourself... No need to pay that damn much money for some damn monkey to put his greasy hands on your fu cking truck... The last one I did, took 45 minutes... You do the math... whistle

Funny thing is you don't know what the fu ck you are talking about. 2 blend door actuators and 2 blend doors and a dealer is not going to use made in china auto parts, even they are priced higher then your numbers . The doors were warped and the actuator gears were stripped because the doors were stuck. I was given all the bad parts. They took the dash apart , 4 hours labor. If you can do it in 45 minutes then you must be a super mechanic of some sort.. Really GFY

To the OP the new Silverado and GMC trucks still use the design. Plastic gears that strip

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
With a little research I found there are 3 or 4 actuators on these trucks, don't recall exact number. Thankfully mine is the drivers side temp actuator so it is the easiest 1 to get to. Hopefully it will be the actuator only and I wont have to replace a door and tear the dash apart to do so.

Has worked fine the 3-4 times I have driven it this weekend.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 07/03/17.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
With a little research I found there are 3 or 4 actuators on these trucks, don't recall exact number. Thankfully mine is the drivers side temp actuator so it is the easiest 1 to get to. Hopefully it will be the actuator only and I wont have to replace a door and tear the dash apart to do so.

Has worked fine the 3-4 times I have driven it this weekend.

Yes , there are 4 of them, the heater blend door requires a dash teardown, unfortunately that and another one failed on my truck.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
On my 07 a quick rap on the dash would get things moving. Lol

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here's a tip that may or may not apply to blend doors (I've never seen one) but on plastic parts that move, like the vents in a dash. this stuff works extremely well to insure smooth operation for a long time. It contains silicone and is an excellent lube.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
my 07 classic has the same problem, in the summer i just put it on cold then reach up and unplug the actuator, been plunging it in and unplugging it twice a year for 3 years now.

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Check the connections, I had a corroded and subsequently melted connection on an 05 Sierra where the harness connected to the blower motor box in the passenger side foot well.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
My 2004 2500 Chevy has this problem. You can get it reset by turning off the truck and restarting it. When I checked the price on the new part it was a little over $100. Since I only drive the truck to the deer lease I have not fixed this problem yet.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
sonofabish

Been having this problem with my '06 Silverado too. This winter, driver's side got stuck and wouldn't blow hot, wouldn't change. After looking at youtube, I unplugged the actuator and replugged it and it had been working fine. Just a week and a half ago or so it started randomly switching from hot to cold. On it's own, haven't moved the climate control thing for months. Was hoping it'd be an easy fix I could do here at home. It's my wife's daily driver and needs to run.

MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Mine on my 2005 Sierra went bad and I drove it for a few years with it partially working. I could restart the truck and it would start working again. Mine was the blend door actuator for the drivers side. It's an easy fix, the part cost me 19.00 off of ebay and it took me 15 minutes to fix. Now I'm looking for a instrument cluster for the same truck.

Last edited by smokinggun; 08/13/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokinggun
Now I'm looking for a instrument cluster for the same truck.

Instrument cluster because the needles on the guages don't go back to 0 when they should?

If that is the case, you can buy the little stepper motors for a few dollars off of ebay. Two hours tops worth of time to pull the cluster out of the truck, desolder the motor connections, and resolder the new ones in and reinstall the whole cluster. I could likely do mine (if i still had my 2003) in under an hour after having done it once.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Originally Posted by smokinggun
Now I'm looking for a instrument cluster for the same truck.

Instrument cluster because the needles on the guages don't go back to 0 when they should?

If that is the case, you can buy the little stepper motors for a few dollars off of ebay. Two hours tops worth of time to pull the cluster out of the truck, desolder the motor connections, and resolder the new ones in and reinstall the whole cluster. I could likely do mine (if i still had my 2003) in under an hour after having done it once.

No, it's more like the whole cluster is out, digital read-outs too. Sometimes I can beat on the dash and get it to work for a few minutes. I have had it out and looked it over but that's it. I've been asking around and there seems to be a market for these things that go bad, I can send mine off to be rebuilt or I can buy a rebuilt one. Maybe I could rebuild it myself, not sure. Thanks for the info.

mch Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I just fixed mine last week. It was doing the same thing. It had a lose solder joint. There are several videos on you tube that show how to disassemble and reassemble it correctly. Once disassembled prop it on the steering column and plug it back in and turn on the ignition.Then using something none conductive like a pencil eraser. Press gently on the solder joints one at a time. When you find the correct one you will hear the stepper motors power up and the lights will come on. Then it is just a simple solder job with a very small soldering iron.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

587 members (10GaugeKS, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 22250rem, 59 invisible), 2,169 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,286
Posts18,448,788
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.