Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Hunters,
Any bug repellent you'd recommend for stalking type hunting? Something that actually works and doesn't spook the elk/deer?
Thermacell sounds good but I don't see how it would work when on the move.
Thanks!

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If you don't play the wind right, they'll smell you no matter what repellent you use. It's best use is so they don't see you swatting bugs.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
If you don't play the wind right, they'll smell you no matter what repellent you use. It's best use is so they don't see you swatting bugs.

Good point!

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Have you tried a picaridin based repellent? Not entirely odorless, but less than the perfumes a lot of manufacturers put into DEET based stuff. I still use DEET sometimes, but starting to use picaridin more often.

The one I've found is a Sawyer product, Cabelas and Amazon carry it, others places must too. https://sawyer.com/products/picaridin-insect-repellent/

In my completely non-scientific observations it works about equally on mosquitoes (but haven't seen any time-release formulas like some DEET products), and seems to work better for Adirondack black flies.

Bonus - its not a plasticizer like DEET, doesn't melt plastics.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Or just wear a head net. No chemicals, no smells, and it acts as face camo.

Jeff

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Headnets don't keep the ticks from crawling up you pants and sleeves

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know how bad they would smell to elk, but you can put dog flea and tick collars around your boot tops, and maybe pin a piece to you coat. Don't let them be directly against your skin. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MikeL2
Have you tried a picaridin based repellent? Not entirely odorless, but less than the perfumes a lot of manufacturers put into DEET based stuff. I still use DEET sometimes, but starting to use picaridin more often.

The one I've found is a Sawyer product, Cabelas and Amazon carry it, others places must too. https://sawyer.com/products/picaridin-insect-repellent/

In my completely non-scientific observations it works about equally on mosquitoes (but haven't seen any time-release formulas like some DEET products), and seems to work better for Adirondack black flies.

That's all I use now. Feels better on my skin, and won't melt plastic, varnish, etc. My old 581 still has DEET marks on the stock. I like the lotion better than the spray because the spray bottle leaks when you tilt it.

Sawyer also makes a Permethrin spray for treating your clothes that lasts through six washings. Use that, put picaridin on your wrists, ankles and face, and your as bug-free as it gets.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Sawyer also makes a picarin spray to treat your clothes with. If left outside to air out the smell is barely noticeable and it stays on for a couple of washing cycles too.

When I was bow hunting in the cedar breaks I used Deep Woods Off spray. It has cedar & pine oil in it to mask the smell. It worked in evergreens and it also was a sort of cover scent. I had deer approach within ten feet down wind after dousing myself with this stuff. Other natural substances also work in the same way. Vanilla extract works for mosquitoes and can be an attractant. Ponderosa sap works some. I have tumble dried my clothes with sage and evergreen branches and it helped as a repellent and cover scent. I also use Lemon Eucalyptus mixed with cedar oil and this doesn't seem to alarm deer.

When the mosquitoes are bad I double up and use two or more types of repellent. I have only had good luck with thermocells inside of a blind or pop up.

The Elk will smell you no matter what if they are down wind of you. When stalking I carry a bottle of unscented talcum to check for thermals and winds you can't feel. A lighter works some too but not as well as the talcum.

Forgot to add the best thing I have used for ticks and chiggers is dusting sulpher on your shoes, socks and pants legs. Deer sure smell it but don't seem to be alarmed by the smell. They will snort out of curiosity but usually don't run.

Last edited by Tejano; 08/15/17.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
On a spring bear hunt in Manitoba I got off the atv , the guide pointed the direction of the stand and said I'll be back after dark . The bugs -as in all kinds were so bad he had to swat them away with his hat to get my headnet
On . I told him don't go far because I'm no hunting with these bugs . He had me light the thermacell and they didn't disappear but it was like I had a glass all around me . I hunted the week like that .
Thermacells do work .

SemperFi
Soup

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Sitting in a blind, hard to beat the Thermacell.

Warm days, early season in the South, you really need one to keep the skeeters at bay.

Otherwise, they'll eat you up...

DF

Edited to add, elks gets downwind, you're busted either way...

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 08/15/17.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mash up some evergreen needles, fir, spruce, pine, sub alpine, or whatever you have in your area, and apply as needed. That oily substance will repel bugs for hours without any man made chemical smells. Try to avoid getting pitch mixed in it....thank me later....;)

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I'll have to try that!

Thanks Pat.

smile

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Good advise.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by MikeL2

^^^this^^^

I hunt in and around marshes in Florida twelve months of the year, Bug Central. The mosquitos are almost always bad, and certain times of the year the deer flies (yellow flies) will eat you alive. I've tried just about everything, and while some products work better than others, Sawyer Picaridin is the best I've found so far. It will keep everything away and I can't detect any smell at all once it dries (which is fast). If anything would smell it it would be a pig, and so far so good. And it's less than $5 per can at WalMart.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
To answer your question! There is no bug spray elk won't smell! Hunt into the wind.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
If you don't play the wind you are screwed wether you have bug spray on or not.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cold air.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

644 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,944 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,487
Posts18,452,019
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.