Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
...........................to get goofy, finished up load workup yesterday before dark with the 160 gr Accubonds, had 6 rounds with two different primers and a half grain difference in powder weight vying for first place.

To my amazement four of the six rounds had two sets of two each cutting the same holes with the 6th shot opening the whole group up just over an inch and a quarter, I'll blame it on me or a very hot barrel, the CCI-250's with RL-22 at 3051 fps got the nod, two cutters with the third strike less than a third of an inch away.

Always nice when this happens, particularly with a handy light weight rifle that should make a fine backup elk rifle to my new 7 MSM being built, deer and pigs will be the first test subjects for the 160 AB's when season rolls around.

Trump Won!
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I like that stuff Gunner. That's a super little rig. You're egging me to get to work on my 280.

Semper Fi
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, show that 280 some love, bet it wont let you down, I needed to bushhog my shooting lane out to my target, had a little grass obstruction, couldn't really see what the groups were shaping up like due to the grass, I was amazed when I walked down and had a look see, thought the ragged holes were just vegetation moving about, nice to find it was not. smile

Trump Won!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Sounds nice, Gunner! I'm betting that 160 grain Accubond won't bounce off a pig.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks CT ol buddy, beretz says they wont bounce off bull elk at 375 yards either, takes the fight right out of em smile

Trump Won!
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Very nice! Tough not to love the .280.

Camp is where you make it.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks TZone, that things like carrying nothing, bet it weighs less than 7 lbs all up, a hell of a bucking bronc to hang on to at the bench with the 160's at 3050, you can of course see the jump, but to feel the little rifle torquing is quite funny, "hey, I'm a flyweight, but I'm mean to, by god!" smile

Trump Won!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Wow, a 160gr Nosler Accubond at 3050 fps out of a non magnum case. That round can handle every BG animal in North America, except maybe the biggest coastal bears of Alaska, but I wouldn't really know about the bears because I've never hunted them. However, I do know that combo will knock a bull elk's tail in the dirt. I know this because me and my .280AI have done it twelve time in the last twelve years with one slight difference, I used the 160gr. Partition at 2950fps.

Last edited by super T; 08/15/17.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
You have to love a consistent shooter...

the 280AI here does 3k nicely with 160s. Defer to the 150s, which it shoots just as well. A little less of a snap coming back at 6# with the 150s...wouldn't mind it weighing 7.

Having good pressure data available now is a real asset to the round's viability, as the SAAMI 280AI is a middling cartridge...right in the middle betwixt book loads of the standard 280 and the 280AI speeds we used to get back a few moons..:)

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bet she's a little snappy, hell of a lot of horsepower in that deal though.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
You've got it dialed in. My only peeve with the 280AI is it makes my 7RM redundant with 160's so I guess I will have to go with 175s or 180s to justify the difference.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Super T, that's great news to hear, and congrats on parking 12 consecutive elk, i appreciate the real world feedback.

Thanks Tomk, yes, it's easy to like, no pressure testing eq here, but 3050 fell from the action with normal casehead expansion, I may be in a pretty good spot, no need for me to lean hard on this rifle, I have a big 33 that flings 300 gr Accubonds to 3K if more power and reach is ever needed.

16bore, double yes on the snappy part, and if my figures are right, that little bullet will hold 1800 fps all the way to 750 yards here at 555 asl Oklahoma, may reach 900 on an elk mountain out West, really good combo for that sized hull and bullet.

Tejano, LOL, funny but true, the old 7 Mag will chunk heavier chunks of hillbilly metals with much power and grace. smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, heck, a measly 160 in a light rifle still has to feel like a pop gun in your hands compared to what you usually shoot. laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, it is a 'wand' of a rifle ;]

Trump Won!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I imagine a 33 w/a 300g AB would handle anything up to a T-Rex...:)

The 7mm 160/175g around the 3k mark ought to be as good now as it ever was for anything weaving hooves...and the bullets are better, to boot.

For me, the option of 140s at 3200 is also good reason for a light rifle & scope aimed at smaller stuff up high...

Defend the Constitution
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
10-4 on the big lizard hunting, I've never seen any sporting round slam 500 yard steel with the ferocity of that 33 cal 300 gr AB, truly brutal. smile

Dang, 140's at 3200 is cooking, and should reach any sheep or goat as far as a man could get dug in and steady for a long field shot.

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My 280AI Montana is the same way, she likes most anything.

Life is just one damned thing after another
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
SWEET, sounds like a pair of Kimber Roulette winners right here. wink

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I love my 280AI montana. I have to admit, I settled on 2950fps with 150gr NBTs because there was a noticeable increase in recoil above that and I don't think any elk will be able to tell the difference. Besides, I have a more than a few magnums of various flavors sitting around for the days I'm feeling tough. 😎

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Agreed, don't believe the elk will be lying there wondering, hmmmmmm, was that bullet going 29 or 3050. wink

And yes, many bigger hammers in the tool shed here too, at 55, something has to be said for a lighter rifle in the elk mountains.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice. That'll do for about anything.

I launch 150's with H4831sc at around 3k in my 280 with the improved chamber. It completely leveled a mule deer a couple years ago. I'd not hesitate to shoot any animal with it. Easy shooting combo to boot.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Sounds good MM, the loads I've been tinkering with need to be remade with H-4831 or other temp insensitive powder, if we need to deliver a pinpoint punch on the side of a frozen mountain, steady [known] vels can only help in that delivery. smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Kimber making a gun that shoots?!?!!!?!?!
Impossible!!! The interwebs told me so!!!!

Congrats, sounds like a great combo! The bad part about finding things that are that light and shoot that well, is that it really eliminates the amout of "tinnkering" you get to do and it also eliminates the need for lots of other guns!

But then again who ever said anything about need!?!?!

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, correct, the most tinkering I've had to do was to learn to shoot a rifle that light, shooting mostly very barrel heavy rigs for 40 years will cover up a bit of form slop, the little Montana will reveal all. blush

Trump Won!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Impossible! Everyone knows light rifles can't shoot...:)

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gunner500
...........................to get goofy, finished up load workup yesterday before dark with the 160 gr Accubonds, had 6 rounds with two different primers and a half grain difference in powder weight vying for first place.

To my amazement four of the six rounds had two sets of two each cutting the same holes with the 6th shot opening the whole group up just over an inch and a quarter, I'll blame it on me or a very hot barrel, the CCI-250's with RL-22 at 3051 fps got the nod, two cutters with the third strike less than a third of an inch away.

Always nice when this happens, particularly with a handy light weight rifle that should make a fine backup elk rifle to my new 7 MSM being built, deer and pigs will be the first test subjects for the 160 AB's when season rolls around.

Terrible! I will do you a favor and relieve you of this burden for 75% of what you paid for it. Send me a PM and I'll give you the shipping address. whistle

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
tomk, correct, clearly had to be multiple flukes. grin

LOL 1Nut, I'll give you first dibs ;]

Trump Won!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I really want one of the Kimber .280 AI's as a dedicated hiking elk rifle. I have a 6.5 CM Montana with a VX3i 2.5-8x36 B&C on top that is quickly becoming one of my favorite rigs. Seems like a similar setup (or maybe the Hunter version) in .280 AI would be even more of a good thing.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Gtscotty
I really want one of the Kimber .280 AI's as a dedicated hiking elk rifle. I have a 6.5 CM Montana with a VX3i 2.5-8x36 B&C on top that is quickly becoming one of my favorite rigs. Seems like a similar setup (or maybe the Hunter version) in .280 AI would be even more of a good thing.

I highly recommend that you not settle for the Hunter. Find one used or save as long as necessary to get the Montana.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

I highly recommend that you not settle for the Hunter. Find one used or save as long as necessary to get the Montana.

I have a Hunter stock for my Montana, and have shot it extensively both ways. I like both stocks, the Montana stock is lighter and nicer, but has a blind mag and my copy benefited from bedding (which wasn't hard). The Hunter has a polymer stock, but it is a well done relatively stiff poly stock, I prefer the magazine of the Hunter, and on my copy, the un-bedded Hunter stock shot like the bedded Montana stock. I also like that the Hunter is a few oz heavier for a rifle chambered in an '06 class cartridge. I think the 6.5 CM is a fantastic fit for a Montana weight rifle, but might be a bit light for me chambered in .280 AI. I like them both, but for my purposes, I don't think that the Montana is $500 more rifle than the Hunter.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

I have a Hunter stock for my Montana, and have shot it extensively both ways. I like both stocks, the Montana stock is lighter and nicer, but has a blind mag and my copy benefited from bedding (which wasn't hard). The Hunter has a polymer stock, but it is a well done relatively stiff poly stock, I prefer the magazine of the Hunter, and on my copy, the un-bedded Hunter stock shot like the bedded Montana stock. I also like that the Hunter is a few oz heavier for a rifle chambered in an '06 class cartridge. I think the 6.5 CM is a fantastic fit for a Montana weight rifle, but might be a bit light for me chambered in .280 AI. I like them both, but for my purposes, I don't think that the Montana is $500 more rifle than the Hunter.

That's fine if you like it. For me,the Montana stock is a bargain at $500. I see the hunter stock and mag as cheap, on an otherwise first rate rifle. Just my opinion,but it's not worth it to me to "settle" for mere money reasons. Since you seem to have other reasons,that wouldn't apply to your decision.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I'm in agreement with R.H., and with all the montanas floating around the classifieds, it would not be a $500 difference - more like $300. And well worth it...

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Great start Jerry! Now move back to 20 yards :-)

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Biebs
Great start Jerry! Now move back to 20 yards :-)

And double my yardage? shocked ;]

Trump Won!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
I'm in agreement with R.H., and with all the montanas floating around the classifieds, it would not be a $500 difference - more like $300. And well worth it...

Yeah, but it seems like a lot of them are chambered in .308, the Vanilla Frozen Yogurt of hunting cartridges.... I want a sexy straight-walled beast like the .280 AI wink

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
SWEET, sounds like a pair of Kimber Roulette winners right here. wink

I'd like to roll the dice on a Kimber Montana one of these days. Saw a 270 win at a local shop for $800.00 the other day. If it would have been a 280, I probably would have been pulling out the wallet. Yours sounds like it's doing very well gunner. Very cool....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks BSA, I had to put medium height Talley LW's and a slip on Limbsaver pad to get the LOP length and scope up high enough to get the dwarf rifle out in front of me enough too shoot, very small dimensional rifles, I have two 270's, and somehow haven't went gay. blush grin

Hope you give a Montana a whirl and it's a shooter.

Trump Won!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Gunner brother, there is forgiveness for sins...

Now that the AI cherry has been popped...:) Have been itching to thoroughly wring out a plain jane 280 mauser with 162-168g. It weighs about 7.25# all up and has enough magazine to load a longer bullet under a full case of slow powder. Of course the same can be said for the 700 TI action too, but there is a significant difference in snap (for me) from the AI's 6# to the 98's 7.25#. Living past 30 do have its share of permanent nagging injuries...

I carry the 280 when accompanying daughter for elk. Next to her 7-08 case loaded with 150 BTs, the loaded long 160's for the 280 look more like a dangerous game load...:)

RL 26 looks like it could be interesting with the AB...and the AB bearing surface is long to fulfill the non-rational desire to utilize the mag....now I just have to get off my ass

Good luck killing them all this season!

Defend the Constitution
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If she's that accurate with Accubonds, whatever you do don't try 162 ELD-M's........... and if you do that, whatever you do, don't try extending the range to waaay out there.... and if you do THAT, whatever you do don't try them on deer......

You can give a mouse a cookie...... grin

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks BSA, I had to put medium height Talley LW's and a slip on Limbsaver pad to get the LOP length and scope up high enough to get the dwarf rifle out in front of me enough too shoot, very small dimensional rifles, I have two 270's, and somehow haven't went gay. blush grin

I don't know. Owning 2 270's is almost admitting one is gay... laugh

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Easy buddy!!! I've got two as well.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs

Ha ha.. laugh

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by tomk
Gunner brother, there is forgiveness for sins...

Now that the AI cherry has been popped...:) Have been itching to thoroughly wring out a plain jane 280 mauser with 162-168g. It weighs about 7.25# all up and has enough magazine to load a longer bullet under a full case of slow powder. Of course the same can be said for the 700 TI action too, but there is a significant difference in snap (for me) from the AI's 6# to the 98's 7.25#. Living past 30 do have its share of permanent nagging injuries...

I carry the 280 when accompanying daughter for elk. Next to her 7-08 case loaded with 150 BTs, the loaded long 160's for the 280 look more like a dangerous game load...:)

RL 26 looks like it could be interesting with the AB...and the AB bearing surface is long to fulfill the non-rational desire to utilize the mag....now I just have to get off my ass

Good luck killing them all this season!

LOL, Thanks tomk, does having five 300 H&H and Win Mags help a little more? grin

I may look at H-4831 or maybe RL-26 later for my 280 AI if the 26 proves to be relatively temp insensitive.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by beretzs

Ha ha.. laugh

LMAO BSA, thanks for the backup Beretz, i gotta watch these guys as long as I own 270's. grin

Trump Won!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The 300 H&H is stand alone penance atoning for the very worst of shooting transgressions...particularly in a mauser 98...:)

Defend the Constitution
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by tomk
The 300 H&H is stand alone penance atoning for the very worst of shooting transgressions...particularly in a mauser 98...:)

How about standard and super grade pre-64's?

Do have 98 Mausers in 6.5 Swede, 7X57mm, 358 Norma Mag, 9.3x62mm, 400 Whelen and 416 Taylor, atoned? grin

Trump Won!
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Go forth and sin no more (dump the 270's).

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
laugh, Thanks Father Whelen! ;]

Trump Won!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Glad you are absolved.

With that line-up utilizing pigs as a test subjects, you should be able to run the scale to prove the stopping power doctrine once and for all!

Defend the Constitution
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
So much testing, so little time! cry

Trump Won!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

189 members (2ndwind, 17CalFan, 257_X_50, 44automag, 348srfun, 32 invisible), 1,998 guests, and 1,046 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,488
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.