Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jorgeI
The number of PHs, whose primary job is to protect the client when things go south, almost to a man, prefer a double.

Bell still had to protect himself, his trackers, gun handlers and many of his african hired helpers from a range of DG threats on
numerous occasions. he successfully did that while also accumulating hauls of ivory..If a SxS was necessary for such tasks,
he would have employed one.

...Bell was not a PH, he was an ivory poacher...

If prefer to call Bell a commercial ivory hunter.... He succesfully negotiated with remote region tribal chiefs to gain permissible access
to lucrative elephant grounds, I would not put that in the category of 'poaching'. Such remote zones were largely unregulated by
colonial gov... In regulated regions indications are he did obtain the required licenses and obeyed elephant hunting season laws....
again, that is not 'poaching'.

"Passing over to the english side if the Nile, I occupied myself as well as I could obtaining my two elephants allowed
me on my Uganda license from ther sporting herd of cow elephant which then haunted the Gondokoro region.....I fell in
with them only a few miles from the post and manged to kill two passable herd bulls".

- (Bell of Africa p.105)

"Having entered my rifles at Lado and cleared them through the Doune, it was not necessary again to visit a Belgian post.
So when hunting season opened, I already had a herd of bull elephant located. Naturally I lost no time when the date arrived,
that is, the date according to my calculations. This matter is of some importance, as I was afterwards accused of being too
soon. I may have begun a day or even two days before the date, but to the best of my knowledge it was the opening date..."

-(Bell of Africa p.106)

he lost count of how many elephants he lost when he was going after large quantities of ivory.

Which Bell publication and chapter is that from?

Isn't the internet wonderful?..

It was your peabrain weird science internet posts claiming animals can be 'shocked to death' by using larger calibres. almost as funny
as your wacko claim the Twin Towers melted because Boeing 767 carried several hundred thousand gallons of jet fuel...the rational
minded truth is that fuel did not melt beams and B767 has max fuel cap.approx. 23,000 gal ...and nowhere even near that on the day.

Some people with intoxicated imaginations invest smoke and mirrors spin into double rifles like they do terminal ballistics and Sept. 11.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I am currently rereading , "The Green Hills Of Africa." It is interesting that Hemmingway seems to dislike his double, and only carries it when he really, really has to. He seems to prefer his Springfield, even for rhino. I just read about his 300 yard shot on a running hino with the Springfield. That seems like a pretty big stretch, to me, but it's his story.
I had not noticed that he disliked his double the last time I read this book. He complains that it feels 'heavy and unfamiliar' and had a trigger that was like metal struck metal. He talks of flinching and jerking the trigger. This all surprised me, as I remembered him waxing about his double. That happens when your mind gets cluttered with too much pulp fiction.
Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I recall someone, some years ago, posting some pictures of a 303 British double rifle. I loved that rifle.

IIRC, Gunner500 has one.

DF

Sure enough DF.

Thanks Steelhead, that little double is right behind me wearing a 40 round culling belt with 215 gr Woodleighs at the ready. smile

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Gunner's is a Rodda, IIRC. Though of course it was probably made by someone else & sold by Rodda.

Yup, it's a Rodda Tex, roll marked London and Calcutta. smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Quentin Grogan

Grogan came out to British East Africa in 1905 and started hunting in The Lado Enclave in 1907. He was the brother of the famous Col. Ewart S Grogan
who walked from the Cape to Cairo between 1898 – 1899. Grogan was very interested in trying out calibers against elephant some suitable and others
more controversial like the .256 Mannlicher and .280 Ross..also tried the. 450 NE but finally settled on a .318 Westley Richards and a .577 WR both of
which he used until the end of his days as an Ivory Hunter. He shot between 250 and 300 elephant.

Commander Longden

In 1909 Longden went to The Lado Enclave, right from the start he got excellent trophies his best was an enormous elephant with tusks of 141 and 139 pounds
which he shot in 1911. He once wounded an elephant which charged him and was unable to stop it with the 450 NE he was using. The elephant caught him and
began to batter him, and his gun bearer managed to kill it with a brain shot from the .318 Westley Richards. He was in a critical state and so carried across the
Nile to the post of Wadelai where he died. He shot between 60 – 70 elephant.

D. D. Lyell

Dennis D. Lyell in his book The African Elephant and its Hunters 1924 writes ‘if I was going back to hunt in Africa I would buy a couple of .318 Mauser Action
Magazine Rifles, for I believe this is a perfect size as an all round rifle and notwithstanding the critics who have not always had practical experience as a backing
to their opinions, I am no believer in heavy rifles which are usually somewhere in the rear when most wanted’.

James H. Sutherland

In a chapter in his book The Adventures Of An Elephant Hunter Sutherland gives a brief summary of the rifles he used. At the start of his activities in Mozambique
in 1898 he used .303 Military Rifle, 10.75 mm Mauser, .450, .500 NE... bought a .577 NE and .318 Magazine Rifle from Westley Richards.
Once Sutherland began to use .577 and .318 he never felt the need for any other rifles. Sutherland shot between 1,300 and 1,600 elephants.

C. H. Stigand

.256 Mannlicher and .318 WR magazine rifle for his elephant and other DG hunting.

J.A. Hunter (1887-1963)

known as the first "White Hunter" arrived in Kenya from his native Scotland in 1908.Joined the Safari outfitters Leslie & Tarlton and thereafter spent his entire life as
a Professional Hunter in East Africa...used several rifles including .416 Rigby,.505 Gibbs bolt-rifles and 500 NE. held several world records for Big Game at various
times, and lead a group that killed 1000 rhinos in a single year in Kenya.

Col. John Henry Patterson, (man-eaters of Tsavo)

.303cal Lee Enfield sporter and .450/400 SxS

Jim Corbett (man-eaters of Kumaon)

.275 bore Rigby mauser and .450/400 SxS

Last edited by Starman; 08/23/17.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Starman
almost as funny
as your wacko claim the Twin Towers melted because Boeing 767 carried several hundred thousand gallons of jet fuel...the rational
minded truth is that fuel did not melt beams and B767 has max fuel approx. 23,000 gal ...and nowhere even near that on the day.

The tensile strength of structural steel is around 70-80,000 psi at room temp, and about 10,000 psi at red heat ~1300-1350°F. Melting was unecessary; with so much strength lost from the fire & impact damage, it's surprising they stayed up as long as they did.

How do you think a blacksmith works steel with just a hammer? By heating it up red hot first.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Isn't the internet wonderful? The number of PHs, whose primary job is to protect the client when things go south, almost to a man, prefer a double. Are their some who prefer a bolt or carry one because that is all they have? absolutely. Bell was not a PH, he was an ivory poacher and by his own admission, he lost count of how many elephants he lost when he was going after large quantities of ivory. The double still remains, a highly specialized tool with inherent limitations, that is without question.

My eyes are pretty well lost on open sights anymore and I will not "scope" a double. So a couple of M70's will have to do.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The number of PHs, whose primary job is to protect the client when things go south, almost to a man, prefer a double.

Bell still had to protect himself, his trackers, gun handlers and many of his african hired helpers from a range of DG threats on
numerous occasions. he successfully did that while also accumulating hauls of ivory..If a SxS was necessary for such tasks,
he would have employed one.

If prefer to call Bell a commercial ivory hunter.... He succesfully negotiated with remote region tribal chiefs to gain permissible access
to lucrative elephant grounds, I would not put that in the category of 'poaching'. Such remote zones were largely unregulated by
colonial gov... In regulated regions indications are he did obtain the required licenses and obeyed elephant hunting season laws....
again, that is not 'poaching'.

"Passing over to the english side if the Nile, I occupied myself as well as I could obtaining my two elephants allowed
me on my Uganda license from ther sporting herd of cow elephant which then haunted the Gondokoro region.....I fell in
with them only a few miles from the post and manged to kill two passable herd bulls".

- (Bell of Africa p.105)

"Having entered my rifles at Lado and cleared them through the Doune, it was not necessary again to visit a Belgian post.
So when hunting season opened, I already had a herd of bull elephant located. Naturally I lost no time when the date arrived,
that is, the date according to my calculations. This matter is of some importance, as I was afterwards accused of being too
soon. I may have begun a day or even two days before the date, but to the best of my knowledge it was the opening date..."

-(Bell of Africa p.106)

he lost count of how many elephants he lost when he was going after large quantities of ivory.

Which Bell publication and chapter is that from?

Isn't the internet wonderful?..

It was your peabrain weird science internet posts claiming animals can be 'shocked to death' by using larger calibres. almost as funny
minded truth is that fuel did not melt beams and B767 has max fuel cap.approx. 23,000 gal ...and nowhere even near that on the day.

Some people with intoxicated imaginations invest smoke and mirrors spin into double rifles like they do terminal ballistics and Sept. 11.

Bullshit, butthole. My reference to shock was dealing with CATS and deer with high vel SMALLER calibers. And on BUFFALO, there IS data to support that a heavy bullet driven FASTER (as in a 400gr 416 at 2350 v 2700) DOES have a definite effect on them. As to your idiotic interpretation of the towers, the reference was to fuel in POUNDS, STUPID. Also, my initial comment was meant to address the overall weight of the entire aircraft. But for the record, how many hours of multi engine jet time do you have and how many safaris have you been on? Proof required of course, otherwise FOAD and stick to cutting and pasting your garbage elsewhere.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Quentin Grogan

Grogan came out to British East Africa in 1905 and started hunting in The Lado Enclave in 1907. He was the brother of the famous Col. Ewart S Grogan
who walked from the Cape to Cairo between 1898 – 1899. Grogan was very interested in trying out calibers against elephant some suitable and others
more controversial like the .256 Mannlicher and the .280 Ross. He also tried the. 450 NE but finally settled on a .318 Westley Richards and a .577 WR
both of which he used until the end of his days as an Ivory Hunter. He shot between 250 and 300 elephant.

Commander Longden

In 1909 Longden went to The Lado Enclave, right from the start he got excellent trophies his best was an enormous elephant with tusks of 141 and 139 pounds
which he shot in 1911. He once wounded an elephant which charged him and was unable to stop it with the 450 NE he was using. The elephant caught him and
began to batter him, and his gun bearer managed to kill it with a brain shot from the .318 Westley Richards. He was in a critical state and so carried across the
Nile to the post of Wadelai where he died. He shot between 60 – 70 elephant.

D. D. Lyell

Dennis D. Lyell in his book The African Elephant and its Hunters 1924 writes ‘if I was going back to hunt in Africa I would buy a couple of .318 Mauser Action
Magazine Rifles, for I believe this is a perfect size as an all round rifle and notwithstanding the critics who have not always had practical experience as a backing
to their opinions, I am no believer in heavy rifles which are usually somewhere in the rear when most wanted’.

James H. Sutherland

In a chapter in his book The Adventures Of An Elephant Hunter Sutherland gives a brief summary of the rifles he used. At the start of his activities in Mozambique
in 1898 he used .303 Military Rifle, later a Mauser 10.75 mm, .450, .500 NE....He bought a .577 NE and .318 Magazine Rifle from Westley Richards.
Once Sutherland began to use .577 and .318 he never felt the need for any other rifles. Sutherland shot between 1,300 and 1,600 elephants.

C. H. Stigand

.256 Mannlicher and .318 WR magazine rifle for his elephant and other DG hunting.

J.A. Hunter (1887-1963)

known as the first "White Hunter" arrived in Kenya from his native Scotland in 1908.Joined the Safari outfitters Leslie & Tarlton and thereafter spent his entire life as a
Professional Hunter in East Africa. He used several rifles including .416 Rigby, 500 Nitro Express and 505 Gibbs. held several world records for Big Game at various
times, and lead a group that killed 1000 rhinos in a single year in Kenya.

Col. John Henry Patterson, (man-eaters of Tsavo)

.303cal Lee Enfield sporter and .450/400 SxS

Jim Corbett (man-eaters of Kumaon)

.275 bore Rigby mauser and .450/400 SxS

All that is great, but we forget an important issue for all hunters in Africa 100+ years ago. The availability and the cost of ammo dictated what they could use. Nitro Express rounds used in doubles have always been pricey. Most of these guys that were ivory hunters were not wealthy landed aristocrats. If they had been, they would have stay in England and lived on their estates, meaning they had to watch their money. Next, the distribution and availability of ammo in various calibers was spotty. Ordering and restocking was slow. Orders went to England by boat, and the order retruned by boat.

Point is they often used what was available. After the Boer War and WWI, 7 x 57 Mauser (AKA .275 Rigby) as well as .303 both with FMJ were readily available. These guys used them, had success, and marched on. Rifles were cheap, as was the ammo.

Last edited by hatari; 08/23/17.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Speaking of doubles, friend of mine just texted me, TEXTED! from the middle of the Bush in Zim, "41" buff in the salt", he used a Gibbs 450NE double... just saying.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Speaking of doubles, friend of mine just texted me, TEXTED! from the middle of the Bush in Zim, "41" buff in the salt", he used a Gibbs 450NE double... just saying.

Damn, hell of a deal Jorge!

Trump Won!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Here's a pic of his rifle... 1905 manufacture. 28" barrels. Points like a bird gun. lovely

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

Last edited by jorgeI; 08/23/17.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Looks almost brand new. Needs more time inthe bush!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's pretty worn in real life, Jeff. He's had some rib issues and had it re-regulated. He also took a tuskless with it on his previous safari

Last edited by jorgeI; 08/23/17.

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
almost as funny
minded truth is that fuel did not melt beams and B767 has max fuel approx. 23,000 gal ...and nowhere even near that on the day.

The tensile strength of structural steel is around 70-80,000 psi at room temp, and about 10,000 psi at red heat ~1300-1350°F. Melting was unecessary; with so much strength lost from the fire & impact damage, it's surprising they stayed up as long as they did.

How do you think a blacksmith works steel with just a hammer? By heating it up red hot first.

Not that this is the forum one would normally debate such things, but tex n cal's engineering background in metallurgy does lend some weight to his response here. The concept of metal fatigue with significant variations from standard temperature is well-established in metallurgical literature.

Originally Posted by jorge1
As to your idiotic interpretation of the towers, the reference was to fuel in POUNDS

23,000 gallons of Jet A fuel has a weight of approximately 156,400 pounds. While smaller prop aircraft measure their fuel load in gallons, jet jockeys and big turboprop drivers measure their fuel load in pounds.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Doc, don't bother with the paste and cut king of the fire. I'm still waiting on an answer. Rhetorical, but I think you know I know just a wee bit about jet fuel.... smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jorge1
As to your idiotic interpretation of the towers, the reference was to fuel in POUNDS

Backtracking, forgetful or just lying?....who knows!

06/15/17 Re: London towering inferno

... unlike that building in England the JP Fuel burns extremely hot,especially several hundred thousand gallons
delivered at close to 250 kts in a "vessel" (airplane) with a gross weight exceeding 300 thousand pounds. The impact and high temp
blowtorch effect in essence melted the steel as fuel on fire cascaded through the interior of the building..

IT was 90 thousand gallons (JP/Jet A weighs 6.8 lb/gal X90 gal = 612,000 lb. Math is hard, sorry) ...

MTOW of B767-200ER is 395,000 lbs.

WRONG....anyone who has read Bell knows that is false.... but you prefer your own myth-busted garbage.

again, Which Bell publication and chapter is that from?

FOAD and stick to cutting and pasting your garbage elsewhere.

Valuable quotes from well respected career African hunters who used both SxS and turn-bolt are garbage?
your prefer members read your list of charlatan false claims?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Bullshit, butthole. My reference to shock was dealing with CATS and deer with high vel SMALLER calibers. .

I dont consider 9,3x62 a smaller cal or what people today deem high velocity.

..Regarding cats,there are myriad books out there explaining this ,
linked to their central nervous system. The evidence is there, not to mention as related by PHs who've witnessed many cat kills.

A Myriad..really?.....but you haven't named any at all which makes me wonder.
Are they proper scientific-anatomical based conclusive studies , or just hunting publications sprouting loose theories?
So which particular book do you recommend?

I'm more a guy that believes in experience, and not what you read from a book. To me, an employee with no college degree,
that has been doing a job for 20years is worth a lot more than some college graduate fresh out of college with all the right papers but no experience.
What I'm trying to say is, listen to what has been observed through our own eyes rather than what some book says.

You say theres a whole pile of mystery title books supporting your theory ,then you tell readers you dont rely on any such books
to support your theory.

First the jet fuel, then your Bell nonsense , now this,...Where does the BS and double talk end with you?
credibility next to ZERO.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DocRocket
While smaller prop aircraft measure their fuel load in gallons, jet jockeys and big turboprop drivers measure their fuel load in pounds.

the actual Boeing 150 page spec sheets on 767 lists gallons, liters, lbs , kilograms,.

Since serial spin merchant JorgeI started off talking gallons, I kept it that way... wink

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (10gaugemag, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 53 invisible), 2,357 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,326
Posts18,468,495
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.