Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's what my wife calls the Lagavulin single malt I drink, JP! smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI

LOL...mine calls good Scotch turpentine. It's all in their personal perspective. grin

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
I can't see any reason to hunt with a double except for the "cool" factor. I've been on three safaris, all with a bolt action. A couple of experiences come to mind.

My first elephant took off running at the shot, as they tend to do except for a brain shot. I got in two more shots before it disappeared. Were all three necessary? I dunno. Could I have done that with a double rifle? No.

My second buff fell down at the first shot. Although I didn't know it, it's spine was broken. What I did know was that it kept its head up, so I kept shooting. Four shots total and all hit. That would have taken longer with a double.

Once when tracking a buff herd, we came across a good zebra, which I shot with my .375. The range was a bit beyond what I might have attempted with a double.

So it goes. I disagree with those who say you can get a third or fourth shot off as fast with a double as a bolt. Under carefully set up conditions, some can no doubt do it. But who is going to hunt all day with two extra cartridges stuck between the fingers of their left hand, or whatever? To say nothing of dropping them in the mud under the pressure of a fast reload. In the real world a bolt action is faster. I even think it's almost as fast for the second shot if you know how to work the bolt while the rifle is recoiling (most people don't).

I am a Sporting Clays shooter and realize that, with my shotgun, I can fire the second shot a lot faster. But 12 gauge target loads do not recoil as much as a .470 Nitro Express, and I'm not trying to hit the CNS. In fact, most good shotgunners don't even look at the bead, but just the target. I don't think you can do that with a rifle. As for looking at rifle sights, target acquisition is a lot faster with a scope than with iron sights, no matter how good your vision is.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Double guns have a purpose and that's why there still around and carried by many PH's while going into harms way.
Doubles are less prone to malfunction and fouling by design.
They work and with proper care, will last many owners lifetimes.
Would you try shooting a true pair on the sporting clays course with a bolt action shotgun ? That's what I thought.
You won't be in the same time zone compared to using a double barrel.
Like hunting with a handgun, you need to know your limitations and that's part of being a responsible hunter.
If your comfortable and more proficient with a bolt rifle, knock yourself out, not everyone can be as cool as a hunter with a double rifle (~ :

Last edited by shoots100; 08/28/17.

If Nobody Cares about Winning, Why Do They Keep Score ?
VL
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

I disagree with those who say you can get a third or fourth shot off as fast with a double as a bolt. Under carefully set up conditions, some can no doubt do it. But who is going to hunt all day with two extra cartridges stuck between the fingers of their left hand, or whatever? To say nothing of dropping them in the mud under the pressure of a fast reload. In the real world a bolt action is faster. I even think it's almost as fast for the second shot if you know how to work the bolt while the rifle is recoiling (most people don't).

I am a Sporting Clays shooter and realize that, with my shotgun, I can fire the second shot a lot faster. But 12 gauge target loads do not recoil as much as a .470 Nitro Express, and I'm not trying to hit the CNS.

I can only go on my own experience, which has been in the field, on live targets. It surprised me a little too, to be frank with you, and surprised the bloke with me who was using a bolt action. FWIW we were both using 9.3s.

I'd also add that I don't hold rounds stuck between my fingers either. I agree with you that it would not work. I have additional rounds on a cuff on the butt, and I reload with my right hand from there.

In the real world a bolt is pretty fast - more than a few times I've shot 3, 4 or even 5 pigs with one before they've got to cover (sometimes I've stuffed in a couple more rounds and got the odd straggler too). No argument there. It isn't as fast for the second shot as a double though, based on my own experience with both.With something like a .470 vs a bolt of a similar level of recoil things might be different, but I don't have the experience to comment on that.

Originally Posted by IndyCA35
As for looking at rifle sights, target acquisition is a lot faster with a scope than with iron sights, no matter how good your vision is.

Yeah, I agree with you there too. I have rifles with peep sights, open sights and scopes, and I first learned to shoot using open sights, but if the rifle fits, and the scope is mounted properly, I find the scope fastest and the open sights slowest.The scope's best in poor light too, and for getting a good aim when your target is obscured. .

My double, like several other rifles I own, has a scope with hand-detachable mounts, so I could use the open sights if I wanted to, but with that particular rifle the only time I've actually used the open sights is at the range, to check their alignment. The only real use I have for open sights on rifles nowadays, other than shooting the odd competition where they are mandated, is as a backup for rain or in case the rifle/scope should take a knock.

Cheers!

IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by luv2safari

LOL...mine calls good Scotch turpentine. It's all in their personal perspective. grin

The Poohbah hurt my feelers when he told me my fine bottle of Glenmorangie 12 year would be good for starting brushpile fires. cry grin

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Guys, a fellow member of AR, Todd Williams, recorded a video oh him with his 500 NE Verney Caron and his friend
with a bolt 416 Rigb in a side by side comparison of getting off four aimed shots as fast as possible. Todd's pretty apt
with his double and he did indeed get four shots off faster..

you conveniently left out important details...

Todd Williams had there a .416 Rigby bolt rifle prone to jamming,(which it did), in other words he employed an unprepared--untuned
DGBR in a contest against his own SxS...it was not fair & balanced...so you can void the test right there...Todd also openly admitted
he likely would not be anywhere near that good with SxS in a real DG charge..('up a tree' after the second shot - I think his type words were)

A well know PH wrote and suggested the test was irrelevant.. because all such lame speed contest shooting bets "are off"
in the dynamics of a real charge situation.

Originally Posted by DocRocket

.. I already know there will be a lot of chest-puffing and assertions that "I shoot my double rifle impeccably", etc. Fine, I'm sure you're right.
But I'm interested in reading some substantive observations...

unfortunately Jorge has a poor understanding of 'substantive' ..

if you ever see the video in question its typical youtube type entertainment stuff, iirc, even Todd Williams indicated
that it should not be given it much credence.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

From The Perfect Shot by Kevin Robertson (Page 122):

"Leopard are thin-skinned and light-boned. In body size they are similar to and not much heavier than a mature impala ram.
Like the lion, they have a highly refined nervous system that can easily be switched off by the hydrostatic shock
liberated from some of the smaller hunting calibres and bullets that are suitably heavy, fairly fast and relatively fragile."

Dr. Robertson was kind enough to send me this:

Jorge - it is my experience that a leopard can be killed instantly by a healthy dose of hydrodynamic shock when it is dumped
into the chest cavity..

His book claims 'hydrostatic'...but his letter to you claims , 'hydrodynamic'....?

HYDROSTATIC - relating to the equilibrium of liquids and the pressure exerted by liquid at rest.
HYDRODYNAMIC - relating to the motions of fluids or the forces which produce or affect such motions.

WAIT A MINUTE! Are you one of "those" who think the Towerswere an "inside job"? .

I am of 'those' who want to see your evidence of beams becoming molten steel in the Twin Towers.
16 yrs ago now, ...whats taking you so long?

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunner500

The Poohbah hurt my feelers when he told me my fine bottle of Glenmorangie 12 year would be good for starting brushpile fires. cry grin

That's one of my favorites. Invite me over, dammmmit!

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by gunner500

That's one of my favorites. Invite me over, dammmmit!

LOL, Your fine drillings, my doubles, two 750 ML bottles of 12 year Glenmorangie, a box of hand rolled Dominicans, and 40 lbs of boneless country pork ribs on the smoker would make one fine weekend! grin

I'll have us a gallon of liquid Advil for Sunday night sober-up ;]

Trump Won!
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Gunner, only 40 lbs of ribs? What's poor luv2safari going to eat? :-)

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Biebs
Gunner, only 40 lbs of ribs? What's poor luv2safari going to eat? :-)

Guess I should have added 10lbs of Wifeys homemade coleslaw, baked beans, and 20 roasting ears from the garden! grin

Trump Won!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What time's the BBQ? smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
24/7/365 here, a bit of notice is all that's needed. wink

Trump Won!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In two year's time, when I retire (again) beware, I will take you up on it....

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Done Deal Buddy! smile

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
You guys got me thinking I HAVE to take that little 303 Brit double to Africa someday, wondering what 215 grains of Woodleigh Weldcore at 2175 fps will or wont handle?

I've only been once, hoping some of the experienced hands can guide me on what it is suitable to use on, that being said, and no BS at all, accurate hits to 200 yards are very doable from a good rest with the second leaf flipped up. smile

Trump Won!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jerry, I shoot your same load out of my 1895 and I can tell you it shoots clear through both shoulder plates on a 200 plus lb. hog.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
10-4 Jorge, I'm also well aware of all the big game the Scandinavians and Canadians slayed with the little 303, just wondering what to top out on in Africa, I have no doubt it will dispatch plains game up to Kudu and Sable, kinda wondering if it's enough of a hammer for Eland, Zebra and Wildebeest and such, those critters are tough as a boot heel and all have nice trophy fees attached, much different scenario than a native busting a bull moose with the luxury of tracking till found.

Trump Won!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ingwe hunted extensively with the 303, maybe he'll see this thread and chime in,

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

454 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 54 invisible), 2,593 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,957
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.