Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Never had a problem with the Talley vertically split rings, they are my favorite set up. Have them on several rifles, and have never had them mark up a scope tube.

Also, the Talley "quick release" vertically split rings ARE centered directly over the bore. You need to go to the Talley website and take a closer look at their pics. Not hard to see that they are centered(the lever sits out slightly further but the ring itself is centered on the base and sits directly over the center line of the action.).

Talley vertically split are "hell for stout", classy looking, and less bulky than the Warne maxima rings.

Yes, they do take a little extra effort to get a scope reticle lined up straight the first time you use them, but as with anything new and unfamiliar, once you've done it a time or two it's not that difficult.

Leftybolt

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Talley QR rings are made off center. Consult the following images and then call Talley for confirmation should you require. At one time Talley disclosed such on their website. I'm not sure if this is the case anymore. Pictured are multiple ring and base combinations. In several pictures a feeler gauge is shown clamped between the lower ring mating half surfaces for illustrative purposes. The feeler gauge extends the centerline out over the base mounting holes, which are centered on the bases.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

S
Slope77 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
The level of knowledge on this site is amazing.

A couple other options - how do you guys feel about Talley Lightweights and Leupold Dual Dovetails?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
On a classic blued M70 in a wood stock. DD or Leupold QR would look good

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by kingston
On a classic blued M70 in a wood stock. DD or Leupold QR would look good

Pretty sure I am going either QR or S&K on my 700 CDL . I will not buy Talley rings ever again ,

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I love the Talley two piece. I have st least a dozen sets. They aren't hard to install in my opinion.

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Slope77,

I stand corrected. Kingston has proven me wrong(thanks for the clarification). The Talley quick-release are slightly off-center(though you'd never know it from the pics on their webpage). Wonder why they did that when they clearly could make them centered?

Having said that, the Talley fixed, vertically split rings are centered and will serve you well on your Model 70s. I have them on 3 Model 70s, 1 Rem. 700, and 2 CZs and they are excellent!

Leupold Dual Dovetails would be a good setup also as mentioned above. They too can be used without marking up a scope tube if you are patient and take the time necessary to get them turned into the dovetail perfectly straight(which is doable without having to lap, but does take a sharp eye and a steady hand). Of course, this all requires that your scope mount holes on your rifle's action are drilled straight and inline with the center of your rifle's bore(which doesn't always happen in the manufacturing process).

Good luck,

Leftybolt

Last edited by leftybolt; 08/17/17.
S
Slope77 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Any thoughts on Leupold DD base in combination with Burris Signature rings?

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Should work great, but why not just do Burris bases too if doing Burris signature DD rings?

Leftybolt

IC B3

S
Slope77 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
In overthinking/researching this whole thing, I have read of people using the Burris rings with Leupold bases, but never the the reverse. It seems that people think the Leupold bases are better looking than the Burris ones. I have had a bit of a difficult time finding pictures of the Burris bases - didn't see them in their online catalog and I'm not sure the few pictures I see online are of the correct bases. If so, I would tend to agree that the Leupold bases are better looking.

Another issue has popped up - three of the rifles are stainless and it doesn't look like the Signature rings come in silver, and no lower than medium. I think I may be able to use low bases on these setups.

I played around with the guns and bases I have, and I think that 3.5-10 Leupolds will work on two of the long actions using DD bases with no extension base, and the 3-9 vari-x II will fit on the short action with non-extended DD as well.

The 2.5-8 fits perfectly on a long action with standard extended bases, no room for adjustment, but it fits. I think I will buy a DD set for that as well and then use the front extension base from the std set with the dovetail rear.

I'll probably use Leupold DD rings - they come in silver and low, I believe. All the rifles have walnut stocks and I don't care for matte or black scopes with walnut/stainless rifles. They would be fine if the stocks were synthetic. Using the Leupold rings will take more effort, but should be a good learning experience. Hopefully I end up liking them more than I do now

Last edited by Slope77; 08/18/17.
S
Slope77 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
By the way, thank you everyone for your thoughts, and any additional input is appreciated

Last edited by Slope77; 08/18/17.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Slope77
The level of knowledge on this site is amazing.

A couple other options - how do you guys feel about Talley Lightweights and Leupold Dual Dovetails?

I love the DD's. That's what I generally use now. I'd toss those windage adjustable rings in the trash can where they belong....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm pretty sure Leupold bases are still made in the USA, while Burris are made overseas.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Slope77
In overthinking/researching this whole thing, I have read of people using the Burris rings with Leupold bases, but never the the reverse. It seems that people think the Leupold bases are better looking than the Burris ones. I have had a bit of a difficult time finding pictures of the Burris bases - didn't see them in their online catalog and I'm not sure the few pictures I see online are of the correct bases. If so, I would tend to agree that the Leupold bases are better looking.

Another issue has popped up - three of the rifles are stainless and it doesn't look like the Signature rings come in silver, and no lower than medium. I think I may be able to use low bases on these setups.

I played around with the guns and bases I have, and I think that 3.5-10 Leupolds will work on two of the long actions using DD bases with no extension base, and the 3-9 vari-x II will fit on the short action with non-extended DD as well.

The 2.5-8 fits perfectly on a long action with standard extended bases, no room for adjustment, but it fits. I think I will buy a DD set for that as well and then use the front extension base from the std set with the dovetail rear.

I'll probably use Leupold DD rings - they come in silver and low, I believe. All the rifles have walnut stocks and I don't care for matte or black scopes with walnut/stainless rifles. They would be fine if the stocks were synthetic. Using the Leupold rings will take more effort, but should be a good learning experience. Hopefully I end up liking them more than I do now

Sounds like great thinking to me. Good luck with it. I think you'll really like those DD's... They are great looking and strong.. Just a warning, some of the newer manufactured ones are extremely tight, be sure to use a little grease where they turn into the slot. I'd also buy the leupold tool for rotating the ring as well. I've used a wrench in the past, but you run the risk of marring the ring or base.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
S
Slope77 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for the tip - I'll pick up one of this Leupold tools. Anything else I should be picking up - lap bar? Alignment bars? Do you really need torque wrench/drivers for this?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kingston
For windage adjustable and dual dovetail Redfield type mounts:
1. Make sure rings are aligned and coplaner
2. Lap the rings with a lapping bar
3. Touch up lapped surfaces with cold blue
4. Lightly dust the rings with powdered rosin,
5. Torque ring screws gradually alternating as you step up torque to 15-18lb/in.

I'd get a set of alignment and lapping bars.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You don't need a torque wrench. Just go easy and even.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I totally agree with kingston, if you've installed your fair share of rings and bases. if not, a torque wrench might be a good thing.

BSA MAGA
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
While I don't use them anymore, dual dovetails are inexpensive, rock solid and look good.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

643 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 70 invisible), 2,533 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,683
Posts18,456,326
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.