Print Thread
Hop To
L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I have a flat-bed (wish it were V- preferably South Bend, but...) metal working lathe adequate for my needs, up to including barrel work, that I took out of my old shop (now an apartment) where I had it's moderately heavy steel table bolted into the concrete floor.

Can't do that in my garage, as I have slab heating and I don't know where the tubes run. I wasn't there when the slab was poured to set bolts and didn't know where I might want it, anyway. Still don't. A work in progress.... smile

Think you machinists that an 6' X 8' base slab of concrete 6-10 inches thick (the less I can get away with the better) would stabilize this enough? I'm not going to be doing "professional" - this is a hobby thing, primarily for myself, or a very few friends. Not that that makes much difference in what is minimum or better.

I have an old WWII era Eskimo Scout rifle once owned by Charlie Sheldon (who "modified" it into a usable hunting rifle) to rebuild into replica shooting condition for a friend - if one of us doesn't die first.

I'm thinking a couple embedded rings/ rebar etc reinforcing in the pad would not be amiss if necessary to move it with a Bob-cat or such . The garage has 16 foot walls, so there is height to lift. Rather not drag it on that epoxy-paint floor.

Any alternatives you can think of?

Last edited by las; 08/06/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Look for machinery foot pads. My Grizzly came with them and I think they also sell them separately. No bolting to the floor, the feet just set on the pads.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey las, before you get to involved, maybe try and get your hands on a high quality infrared camera. Start with a cold slab, and turn on the heat, and see if you can map out your piping? I've got a light duty flat bed lathe as well, I feel your pain! (mine's a Craftsman/Atlas 12X36). It's actually not a bad little lathe, just painfully slow, as you have to take really light cuts.

Jeff

L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by akjeff
Hey las, before you get to involved, maybe try and get your hands on a high quality infrared camera. Start with a cold slab, and turn on the heat, and see if you can map out your piping? I've got a light duty flat bed lathe as well, I feel your pain! (mine's a Craftsman/Atlas 12X36). It's actually not a bad little lathe, just painfully slow, as you have to take really light cuts.

Jeff

Atlas is mine too. Thanks for the suggestions. Now that I have the slab heat going, and if I can rent a camera(doubtful), both are preferable suggestions to what I've been thinking. I'll research. Not planning to do it until next summer at the earliest anyway.

I can always turn the heat off for a week or so to cool, then start over if I can find a camera. Pads sound better tho.

Last edited by las; 08/07/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
There is not much you can do to stiffen up one of those lathes besides adding mass. Not enough cast iron in the bed. Bolting to the floor might help but completely depends on the cabinet it is sitting on. I would suggest building the heaviest, stiffest cabinet you can. A 3" thick poured concrete top would go a long way toward damping vibration from that lathe. I have a 6x18 and a 12x36 and found that adding ballast to the table and underneath helped significantly with surface finish.
I have seen lathe bases made from cinder blocks with a slab top and you wouldn't have to worry about bolting that to your floor.

IC B2

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Perhaps you could use a digital thermometer, the type you simply point and press the trigger, to locate the heating tubes.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by akjeff

Jeff

Atlas is mine too. Thanks for the suggestions. Now that I have the slab heat going, and if I can rent a camera(doubtful), both are preferable suggestions to what I've been thinking. I'll research. Not planning to do it until next summer at the earliest anyway.

I can always turn the heat off for a week or so to cool, then start over if I can find a camera. Pads sound better tho.

Yep. If you know any commercial electricians, home inspectors, or heat loss studies, etc....maybe you could borrow one? My lathe came with the factory cabinet style stand with undermount motor. I bolted it to the floor, and put a tool chest on the lower shelf, and have the heaviest tooling possible in it to add weight. It'll never be what I'd like for it to be, but every little bit helps. I also get much better finish using good old HSS tools as opposed to carbide. Cheaper too!

Jeff

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
a grouted steel plate would be a better base than concrete

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Make a frame on the floor where you want to anchor the lathe down out of 2x4 and caulk it so it will hold water.

Turn off the water pipes in the floor... (then freeze a thin layer of ice on that spot, then turn the floor on and mark the tubes.... )

Buy a bunch of dry ice and fill it just enough water to cover the surface, then put a blanket / sleeping. Bag over it until it freeze - then go turn the heater on and see what melts first... ??

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

I had an Atlas /Craftsman 12x36 lathe made in 1939.

It was on a cart with castor wheels. I rolled it all over the rough car port, threading and chambering some really accurate rifle barrels 12 years ago.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The bed flex is but a minor attribute to those lathes....the cross is awful light. You're just forced to take small cuts. I had the same lathe on a heavy base" but it's still no 4k lb lathe.....but if you treat it like a 300 lb lathe, it can do great work.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

145 members (338reddog, 444Matt, 257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, 358WCF, 1_deuce, 20 invisible), 1,715 guests, and 1,071 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,184
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.