Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
Originally Posted by kaboku68
I went to Bob's funeral. It was a wonderful gathering of the real people of the Bush. I met his stepson Traver who will be teaching Social Studies between my sister and I at West Valley High School. He is a great guy and he MC'ed the funeral. He is extremely high energy and Bob had nicknamed him "Twitch". I think Charlie Jagow is going to play a bigger role in the show this season. I think that Traver is going to continue to use the cabin as he has moved up to Fairbanks from Anchorage. I am just happy that I have another teacher to work with who isn't a communist. He going through the same thing that I am and that is going to be helpful. You can bet your guns that any liberal teacher who wants to give him crap as a new teacher is going to face my unadulterated fury. Traver will do well.

Bob had a bucket list that he worked to finish before he checked in. He had a homemade camper that he took down to Arizona that he lost on the way. He went back to get it and there was nothing left. The day before he died Traver and Tallicia called all of his friends together and had a bonfire with him. He thanked everybody who was his friend and then died the next day.

Didn't know Bob very well, but had the opportunity to sit down and chat with him about life in the woods stuff a couple times last year. I'm really glad that there is someone in the family interested in utilizing his cabin. With the schedule of a teacher, he might just be able to actually spend some real time out there. In the summers anyway. The bonfire sounds like a really great gathering for him and a nice opportunity for a last visit. I hope I'm that fortunate when my quarter runs out.

Because through judicious handloading and a bold sense of optimism, you can make anything into an .88 Magnum - once! 😁 - chesterpulley
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
RIP Bob & Preston.
The first episode that I watched of TLA's was Bob packing up to leave due to his illness. Now I watch it anytime I can catch it.
Eustace is a different animal for sure, but he is doing it his way I'll give him that. Preston sure made him a bit more tolerable.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When he left the show last season and said he was heading south to heal up, I knew it wouldn't end the way we were all hoping. Pretty sad deal, he was a strange cat but he was one of my favorites on the show next to Heimo. RIP Bob Harte.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I don't know how Preston could stand to be around that scheming hippie whiner.

Wake up to this!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by Cariboujack

I liked Bob, but he got a little morose for me. Seems like he knew his time was up. I enjoy Heimo a lot. Really seems like a good guy.

As far as Preston goes, he made Eustace way more tolerable. I prefer several others on the Mountainman than Eustace. Mostly the guys in Alaska and Montana.

I was envious they got to live life on their own terms. RIP

I'm with you on Preston. I don't care for Eustace at all, even though I know he's a dedicated outdoorsman, I look at him as a overgrown hippie. Preston, on the other hand, seemed very legit and like a good guy. I do like Marty, Tom, and Rich best of all on that show.

My favorites too. Marty is for sure the real McCoy. Tom and Rich seem to get too much input from the producers in their scripts. smile

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
IC B2

R
R
Sad to hear that Bob has passed. The same for Preston. I hope one of Bob's kids can make a home for Ruger.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by ykrvak
Originally Posted by kaboku68
I went to Bob's funeral. It was a wonderful gathering of the real people of the Bush. I met his stepson Traver who will be teaching Social Studies between my sister and I at West Valley High School. He is a great guy and he MC'ed the funeral. He is extremely high energy and Bob had nicknamed him "Twitch". I think Charlie Jagow is going to play a bigger role in the show this season. I think that Traver is going to continue to use the cabin as he has moved up to Fairbanks from Anchorage. I am just happy that I have another teacher to work with who isn't a communist. He going through the same thing that I am and that is going to be helpful. You can bet your guns that any liberal teacher who wants to give him crap as a new teacher is going to face my unadulterated fury. Traver will do well.

Bob had a bucket list that he worked to finish before he checked in. He had a homemade camper that he took down to Arizona that he lost on the way. He went back to get it and there was nothing left. The day before he died Traver and Tallicia called all of his friends together and had a bonfire with him. He thanked everybody who was his friend and then died the next day.

Didn't know Bob very well, but had the opportunity to sit down and chat with him about life in the woods stuff a couple times last year. I'm really glad that there is someone in the family interested in utilizing his cabin. With the schedule of a teacher, he might just be able to actually spend some real time out there. In the summers anyway. The bonfire sounds like a really great gathering for him and a nice opportunity for a last visit. I hope I'm that fortunate when my quarter runs out.

You recommended Heimo's book. I accidentally ordered A Land Gone Lonesome. I have read Heimo's book a couple years ago. The book that I ordered by Dan O'Neill is a journal written in the early 2000 time frame He kinda starts in Dawson and follows the Yukon and searches the old folks, cabins, and towns. Not a bad read.
My Alaskan buddy has told me to read The Spaces Between” by Doug Capra. Said it is about the Kenai Peninsula.
My sister is supposed to send me a link to a map of where we built an AFrame cabin close to the river "Kenai" out of Soldotna. We hope to venture up that way next summer.

Last edited by butchlambert1; 08/02/17.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by ykrvak
hikerbum, if you would like an interesting as well as educational read, check out "Land Gone Lonesome" by Dan O'Neill. It's about the formation of the Yukon Charley National Park which is just south of ANWR. It's a good illustration of the attitude of our Fed Gov towards it's citizens that live "out". The history of the area is also interesting if you're into that kind of stuff. Lots of folks kicked out of their homes that were subsequently burned.

A great book about Alaska in the 70s-80s is John McPhee's Coming Into The Country. The last section, most of the book, is about some residents of the then brand new Yukon-Charley and some who lived in/around Eagle.

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Cariboujack

I liked Bob, but he got a little morose for me. Seems like he knew his time was up. I enjoy Heimo a lot. Really seems like a good guy.

As far as Preston goes, he made Eustace way more tolerable. I prefer several others on the Mountainman than Eustace. Mostly the guys in Alaska and Montana.

I was envious they got to live life on their own terms. RIP

I agree, Eustace is seem annoying to me but Preston made up for it..-

Last edited by old_willys; 08/03/17.

Ted
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
RIP Bob and Preston. They were my favorites.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Gonna miss Bob.
TLA and Cops were the only real reality shows out there.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1234, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 51 invisible), 2,035 guests, and 1,118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,087
Posts18,463,935
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.