Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I

I just received an email from a VET friend of mine about an article in our local paper. The article was referring to veterans being able to shop online tax-free at the online exchange come Nov 11 this year. Any of you seen this anywhere?

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
Theodore Roosevelt
BP-B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If its an effort for self preservation of the exchange program, then it just might work.

I already qualify being military but its a great idea.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
It is obviously an attempt to save the exchanges. The smaller military and competition has to be putting a lot of pressure on the exchange system. All that aside, I heard about it and submitted my info. It was very easy. I was chosen to be a beta tester, which means I can shop now. I have been to the site a number of times. I can not find anything to buy. The brands are a mixed bag and the prices are not that great.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
It's NOT for Veterans !

Here's what the site said to me:

You are not an authorized customer. Access to the Exchange Online Store is restricted to:

Active Duty Military
Military Retirees
Reserves
National Guard Personnel
Department of State Officials serving in foreign countries
And, dependants of the above
Veterans Canteen

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The link in my post above doesn't work anymore, it was just for a trial period. The current info is at http://publicaffairs-sme.com/pressrelease/?p=2913

Note that the program doesn't actually open up to all veterans until Veterans Day.

Veterans Can Visit VetVerify.org for Exchange Online Shopping Authentication

DALLAS – As the Department of Defense’s military exchange services prepare to welcome potentially 13 million honorably discharged Veterans back to their military families this coming Veteran’s Day, VetVerify.org has launched to confirm eligibility to receive a lifelong military exchange online shopping.

Veterans may log onto VetVerify.org, which will use information from DoD’s Defense Manpower Data Center’s records and inform them of their ability to access this new benefit. If a Veteran’s record has character of service data and that data meets the criteria for the online benefit, the Veteran will be verified to shop. Then, beginning on Nov. 11, the Veteran can log onto to the Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps and Navy Exchange websites at shopmyexchange.com, shopcgx.com, mymcx.com and mynavyexchange.com for tax-free shopping. If a Veteran’s information is incomplete, VetVerify.org will provide guidance on next steps.

Extending online shopping privileges to all honorably discharged Veterans will directly improve family and support programs for Soldiers, Airmen, Sailors, Marines and Coast Guard members as well as their families. Increased sales and earnings as a result of Veterans online shopping benefit have the potential to generate tens of millions of dollars in additional dividends to Quality-of-Life programs. These funds decrease taxpayers’ burden to support services and programs on military installations around the world. The Army & Air Force Exchange Service, Coast Guard Exchange Marine Corps Exchange and Navy Exchange currently provide more than $300 million in support for military Quality-of-Life programs annually.

D
D
A friend did get Exchange shooting access during the test period mentioned above.

Access opens to qualified Veterans on this coming Veterans Day.

Here's another web site that explains the program:

https://www.militarytimes.com/pay-b...ss-to-online-military-exchange-shopping/

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I just was verified

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got an email from the VA i believe it stating disabled vets 10% or more can utilize on post facilities which includes PX/BX, commissary and about anything else effective 1 Jan.2020.
I verified it with my VA rep and he thinks the VA card is all that's needed for access.

Last edited by DANNYL; 12/12/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just got that email too. I can't find my damn VA health card now. I've never used it and I think I lost it in a move.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot
Just got that email too. I can't find my damn VA health card now. I've never used it and I think I lost it in a move.

Call your VA rep and they'll tell ya where ya can get a new card. I've got to get a new card also at the end of the month,our clinic 50 miles away only does them once a month.
The new card for which you'll need has your picture,an identification #,branch of service printed on it. This is the card you'll need to access military installations.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There is a "Space A' flight availability for 100% DAV with ID cards. This was the Veteran's Act introduced by
John McCain before he left on permanent ETS.

PACEX/AAFES NAV/MAR is not what it used to be in the 60s-70s. You
could get full SCUBA gear package at Lejeune MCX Exchange. In
Vietnam the Exchange system sold Rolex watches. Not anymore-anywhere
as far as my contact shows with AAFES system. Sorry to see that.
It was possible to see Rolex offered as late as 2001 in Germany -AAFES.

SFA-Life
SOA-Life

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I find really good prices in the commissary - especially on pork and beef, fresh vegetables, health items, OTC meds, coffee, and canned goods. Occasionaly I've run across sale items at the exchange that were unbelieveably priced low.

Last edited by Offshoreman; 09/29/23.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Wife and I gave up on the Exchange and the Commissary. The Exchange might make sense in a state with high sales tax but it is rare we find a bargain.
The Commissary has gone so far downhill I doubt it can recover. Prices on average are the same as local food stores. Then you get hit with a 5% surcharge at the end of your bill. Then you are expected to tip the bagger for taking everything to your car.
Our son moved back to Alaska this year and when we visited him our plans were to hit the Commissary and stock up his pantry with low cost goodies. The only thing worth buying was one gallon of milk.
At one point there was no bigger fan of the commissary than me. But today it is not worth the trouble. Costco is cheaper on any item they both sell.
Every time we travel we always try to visit a comm or BX if it is on our travel route. So far every visit in the last 5 years has been met with disappointment.

The Exchange is trying anything to keep their doors open. To bad they won't simply lower the prices.
It is a shame such a great benefit was allowed to simply go away.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Where I was stationed there were no commissaries. The last one I was in was right after boot camp November 1969.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
PX just started a partnership with Home Depot for appliances:

Home Depot

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
151 members (257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 1minute, 19 invisible), 1,972 guests, and 949 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,650
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.