Print Thread
Hop To
D
devnull Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
So I have a JC Higgins Model 50 I picked up years back in .30-06. I have decided to install a Timney Featherweight 201 using the original stock.

Upon installation, I noticed the stock is not milled like a regular stock with a nice big hole for the trigger group. Rather, it's a small, stepped opening for the original trigger to allow clearance just for the sear. My question is this.

Am I looking at this correctly in that I will need to inlet approx. a 1" x 1/2" wide section for the trigger to fit? For those that have installed this trigger in a JCH 50, is that right?

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It has been years since I installed one but I believe you are correct.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yep some material needs to be removed so the trigger housing will fit.

Just take a small amount off at a time.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I put the same trigger in a commercial FN mauser action and had to do the same thing. Take some careful measurements before starting and only take out where you need to and not much else. It gets pretty thin down there pretty fast if you're not careful.. BTW, love the trigger on this rifle. It has been my go to deer rifle for many years now....

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
D
devnull Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Sheister
I put the same trigger in a commercial FN mauser action and had to do the same thing. Take some careful measurements before starting and only take out where you need to and not much else. It gets pretty thin down there pretty fast if you're not careful.. BTW, love the trigger on this rifle. It has been my go to deer rifle for many years now....

Sheister,
I noticed the bottom of the trigger shoe comes close to touching the bottom of the trigger guard? Does it touch the guard when being pulled? In other words, can it articulate freely inside the original trigger guard?

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
There are various mauser triggers by Timney. The difference being the location and contour of the trigger. Some are farther rearward than others. If you have the wrong trigger it very well may touch the bottom of the guard or the back of the guard bow and not shoot. Gew 98, 98K, and FN can use the same triggers. The Kar 98a WWI carbine trigger is different. Timney's description is lacking. They confuse the 98K with the K98 (Kar 98a).

Once you get it fully opened up and installed you will know for sure if the trigger you have is going to work as is, work if modified a bit, or just wrong and won't work.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
D
devnull Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by sbrmike
There are various mauser triggers by Timney. The difference being the location and contour of the trigger. Some are farther rearward than others. If you have the wrong trigger it very well may touch the bottom of the guard or the back of the guard bow and not shoot. Gew 98, 98K, and FN can use the same triggers. The Kar 98a WWI carbine trigger is different. Timney's description is lacking. They confuse the 98K with the K98 (Kar 98a).

Once you get it fully opened up and installed you will know for sure if the trigger you have is going to work as is, work if modified a bit, or just wrong and won't work.

I purchased the Timney 201. It stated it was made for a JC Higgins 50/51. I think I have the correct trigger but won't know as you stated until I open up the stock.

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Timney 201 is the correct trigger. Be advised however that all of the Higgins model 50's I've encountered with cracked stocks (behind rear tang) had been fitted with aftermarket triggers. This due to the amount of wood removed for trigger installation. Replacement of the trigger however is a good idea since the originals have been known to AD due to improperly tightened bottom metal. The trigger shoe and sear are attached to the bottom metal which, when not properly tightened causes the trigger sear to pull away from the cocking piece sear.

D
devnull Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by z1r
Replacement of the trigger however is a good idea since the originals have been known to AD due to improperly tightened bottom metal. The trigger shoe and sear are attached to the bottom metal which, when not properly tightened causes the trigger sear to pull away from the cocking piece sear.

Any idea what the recommended torque should be for the trigger guard screws? I took it apart and torqued them back down to 35 in-lbs.

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hand tight, the important thing is to not let them loosen up. Inspect frequently.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 16penny, 54 invisible), 2,657 guests, and 1,122 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,310
Posts18,468,202
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.