Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Well it's finally time for me to start doing research on Dall Sheep outfitters. I'm starting to save up and will be ready sometime in 2019, 2020, or 2021 depending on the cost of the hunt. I've already contacted a few outfitters and have heard back from a couple but I know its the busy season for them. I'm hoping anyone on here who's done a Dall hunt can provide me some feedback on who they used and the cost of the hunt (if you don't mind me asking). I'm just trying to get the process started so I can start narrowing down the gigantic list of outfitters out there to really start digging and planning. Thanks!

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My knowledge is limited

But some guys I know to be honest & reputable that run good camps are

Dave Morris

Henry Tiffany

& Dave Marsh

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Might as well go with one of the best...

Matt Snyder
www.tokmanagementarea.com

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
What do you want and what are you able to do?

Paul Claus to Riley Pitts. There are a range of guides that offer different experiences. Ultima Thule Outfitters is like the Eiger Sanction. They have areas for the very rich and flat-footed but if you want a top guided sheep you better take a Mountain Trip Intro of Mountaineering class to get ready for the Cathedrals. Steve Johnson is also in this vein. Riley Pitts is a superb outfitter who hires top guides in an area with lots of sheep that is not as murderous. Dave Morris, Henry Tiffany, Ron Warren and Dave Marsh are also of that set. They don't take many hunters but they get them on good sheep.

Last edited by kaboku68; 08/16/17.
L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
I'll be in "sheep shape." I will be just fine with a backpacking style hunt but am open to other styles. I love Barbary sheep hunting here in NM, have done a rocky mountain ewe hunt above timberline, and will be learning to guide ibex this year...all in NM. I'm planning on staying in as good of shape as I can for sheep hunting so that I can take advantage of a cancellation hunt potentially if I find one of them before I'm booked with an outfit.

I'm more concerned with success rates on rams than making sure I kill a giant, though I'd obviously love a blend of both!

Originally Posted by kaboku68
What do you want and what are you able to do?

Paul Claus to Riley Pitts. There are a range of guides that offer different experiences. Ultima Thule Outfitters is like the Eiger Sanction. They have areas for the very rich and flat-footed but if you want a top guided sheep you better take a Mountain Trip Intro of Mountaineering class to get ready for the Cathedrals. Steve Johnson is also in this vein. Riley Pitts is a superb outfitter who hires top guides in an area with lots of sheep that is not as murderous. Dave Morris, Henry Tiffany, Ron Warren and Dave Marsh are also of that set. They don't take many hunters but they get them on good sheep.

IC B2

L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Looks like a draw only area??

Originally Posted by GrizzlyKid

Matt Snyder

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by Ltsheets

Matt Snyder

No, he has open area's as well.

You would be well served to hunt with him and his family.

Last edited by GrizzlyKid; 08/16/17.
L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
I'll shoot him an email and see what he has to say. At this point I'm open to anyone!

Originally Posted by Ltsheets

Matt Snyder

No, he has open area's as well.

You would be well served to hunt with him and his family.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I hunted sheep with Dave Marsh. He's the real deal. Great guy and great area. I'd put him on your short list.

L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
That's 2 votes for Dave Marsh. I'll look him up for sure.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
An other vote for Dave Marsh.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Matt Snyder
I'll second this.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I suggest Jake Jefferson. www.alaska-bearhunting.com Jake is owner & guide. He's the one you will hunt with. He only does 2 sheep hunts a year, area is not over hunted. Fact is he's on one right now. It's not a draw tag. Go over Alaska Outdoor Forums & you can follow his hunts---he's BRWNBR on that site. He comes here but not to often. He's the real deal & gives 110% on the hunt. I didn't sheep hunt with him but I did a grizzly hunt. I would do a sheep hunt but I'm in my 60's & have had a few to many burritos. PM me if want more.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would decide what I can do and then do a lot of research on guides. There appear to be several good guides listed in the previous posts.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

634 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 69 invisible), 2,509 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,683
Posts18,456,326
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.