-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thinking about trying it. but I have a few questions for those with experience.

How do you carry your rifle or bows?

Have you used a bike trailer? If so any model that you suggest?

E-bikes? how do you charge them if you pack in on a bike without electricity? Solar panels on the bike trailer?

E-bikes, which one did you choose- rambo, FATKAT, or something completely different?

Thanks in advance. I'm gathering info before I commit money on the idea.

GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I would think the battery would wear out pretty quick towing an elk. Seems like a fun idea though.

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

I. How do you carry your rifle or bows?

A. I carry my rifle in an old Uncle Mikes rifle scabbard attached to the side of my bike much like I use one on a horse.

II. Have you used a bike trailer? If so any model that you suggest?

A. We have used bike trailers for about 20 years. We prefer the type that attaches to the seat post so we can more easily use it for a game cart. We use the bikes as carts as well, the bike works good for deer, not so good for elk.

B. Blue Sky Cycle Carts and the older Huffy Ride N'Run both work well. We have also added tongues to a Cabelas Mag game cart. .

We don't use E-bikes. They are forbidden where we hunt. No motorized vehicles of any sort.

PM me and I will send you a picture of a Blue Sky set up to haul in a camp. Also a bike with a deer tied to it.

Gary

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Twenty five years ago I gave consideration to using my then new hot rod state-of-the-art mtn bike for hunting.......

--Bikes aren't allowed in designated wilderness.

--E-bikes are considered motorized by the USFS/BLM so would not be legal on non-motorized trails.

--Bikes are not allowed off designated trails/roads in the USFS. Only 2 legged and 4 legged mammals have that privilege.

--Some USFS non-motorized trails also prohibit bikes (although I'm pretty sure it's only a very small number of trails where this occurs).

--If you are on a motorized trial, every yuppie hunter and their credit card will have their ATV--or these days a UTV if it doesn't exceed the width limit--on the trail too.

--In the places I've been in Colorado, most good hunting areas have non-motorized trails that IN PART would be great for bikes. But then a guy runs into stretches that are so damn steep and/or rugged that a bike quickly becomes a liability. And I don't care if you're Lance Armstong's Mtn biking twin, there's no chance in Hades a guy is going to pedal up these stretches, much less with a loaded bike and/or trailer. Pushing a loaded bike up is going to be a challenge.....a real challenge.

We have a trail just like that not far from our high country place It's a single track limited to motorcycles, bikes, pedestrian, and horses. In about a 6-7 mile stretch it goes through the upper reaches of three canyons. It's not that deep in any of the canyons at this point, maybe 150-300 ft deep, and the trail switchbacks in the timber. But it's steeper'n hell. Over the years I've make it down still on my pedals twice in a half dozen tries. Getting a loaded bike up either side is not something I would want to contemplate. A backpack is much easier.

Although I'm sure there are some places where a mtn bike may be just the ticket for getting to a good hunting spot, I just haven't found any in Colorado.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you for the feedback , keep it coming. And Pminbound for gary

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Rambo bike. It works great and will climb hills just fine. I have the cart that they make. It works well although I've not packed an elk on the trailer. I have hauled about 125lbs on it and it did fine. The battery lasts a long time. It will supposedly recharge off solar but I've not tried it. The best thing about it is that if the battery dies, you can still just pedal or walk out with the bike. It's not stuck like a UTV. When I bought my Rambo, I felt it had better specs and more available accessories than the other options. Now, the FatKat seems to have caught up and looks like a nice option but the Rambo model that I have is cheaper than the Fatkat and Rambo has a newer/bigger model as well. I used it on a hunt in southern CO last year in 851 and have used it a bunch around home and at my farm. I've been very pleased.

Lee

Last edited by Ebby; 08/16/17.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I am looking for the chance, but thus far all the options have been so rocky that it's not practical. I would love to, though. I envy those with good 'ole closed logging roads and rails to trails conversions.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Regarding money, I've gotten my last few bikes on craigslist, and would't consider retail. Its also an excellent place to get those baby trailers that you can use the frame, and possibly wheels, from.

Inspect first to confirm they are baby-free.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
My guide and I used mountain bikes on a spur-of-the-moment decision on the hunt described here: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11879131/1

They were plain old mountain bikes, well-made and serviceable but nothing fancy or specially built for hunting. I don't remember what make/model but you could probably get one like it for $300 used. It did NOT have rifle hooks, so I slung my 338 diagonally over my back and it nearly strangled me. Very awkward. I'll bring a much longer sling next time if I suspect a bike ride is in my future. Speaking of rifles, check your state laws about having a round in the chamber while you're riding. I loaded the magazine of my 338 but kept the chamber empty. We were later stopped by a game ranger. He didn't check my rifle, but he did ask specifically about that. My guide later said that having one in the chamber could be grounds for getting a ticket.

On the whole, it worked pretty well, mostly because while that neck of the woods has some steep pitches, we only used the bikes on well-maintained logging roads. I had to get off and push while packing out, but it wasn't too bad. I think you could load up quite a bit of meat on a bike if you planned/expected to push it a significant part of the way and the hills weren't too bad. (The Viet Cong moved tons of material along the Ho Chi Minh Trail by pushing bikes with huge loads lashed onto them--I remember seeing pictures when I was a kid. I also seem to remember that the guy Carlos Hathcock killed at 2,500 yards with a M-2 Browning was one of those guys.) Just make sure the brakes are tuned up before you start down a hill with a couple of hundred pounds of whatever lashed to your frame.

I have no experience with either a trailer or an e-bike.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Much of our elk country is too steep for that. You'd have to pack the bike up on your back...but you'd have a WHOOPEE ride back down.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've spent many happy days biking on a cinder rail-to-trail road off limits to vehicles. This was in northern PA, and the place was good deer and bear country. Those deer would pick up on footsteps a long way off, but they just didn't comprehend bicycle tire noise. It was great.

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Rambo bikes make a bow carrier that mounts to the frame.
Haven't used one but saw it set up on a bike at the local Scheels store.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use the bow/rifle carrier, the pannier bag and rear rack on my Rambo bike in addition to the trailer. Mine will go up and down some really steep rocky terrain. I have used it on plenty of rough stuff and not just on logging roads. It will surprise you at how much it handle and so much easier than walking or climbing.

Lee

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
We use the WIKE DIY trailer kit so as to customize the size of the trailer for the specific trails being used and cargo load. Real easy to assemble. https://www.wicycle.com/ Here is a youtube assembly video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=d__Qve0hW_g

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
cool ideas. anyone using the FatKat cargo trailer yet?

http://www.quietkat.com/product/cargo-trailer/

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

290 members (160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 257 mag, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 28 invisible), 1,482 guests, and 913 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,061
Posts18,463,321
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.