Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
JonS Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Started shooting some more and figure I should get stronger as the sights are moving quite a bit. Shooting a compound bow.
Best I can figure is fill a milk jug up some and hold it out at arms length?
Any other ideas or suggestions for the wobbly sights?
Thanks and happy hunting!

Keep Smiling
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I am 66 years old and still have no problem pulling and holding 68 pounds. I do some moderate weight lifting couple times a week. But I think more importantly, I shoot my bow 4-6 times a week. I only shoot 15-30 arrows but I try to make them good arrows. And on days that I don't shoot, I will nock an arrow and draw my bow 10 times and also try to aim at something and hold the pin on that spot.
I am sure there are exercises that help, but it's hard to beat "the real thing."

NRA Patron
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Outdoor 3D shoots

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Shoot shoot shoot. Start off at a lower poundage, shoot that for a week or so then give the limb bolts maybe a half turn then give it a go for another week. Won't take long and you will be at the poundage you want.

When you start feeling weak or notice accuracy falling off then stop, no need to form bad habits.

If you cannot shoot get a "Can't fire" release.

With the "Can't fire" release you can even practice form as well as practice squeezing that trigger.

Thumb style, http://www.bowhunterssuperstore.com/third-hand-archery-cant-fire-release-p-8228.html

Index finger style, http://www.trufire.com/draw-check-tool/

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Jon, besides shooting, I've been using a cable machine at the gym. We have one that adjusts to the right height, and has a vertical support that I can brace my bow hand on. Then I just pull the cable back with good form and the same motion as a bow string, and hold it a few seconds at full draw, really get the back muscles into it. I can see a difference, both in accuracy and in less fatigue when shooting. Less fatigue means longer shooting sessions.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I'm guessing pull ups (arms out) and lat pulldowns about the corresponding gym exercises.
I kicked arse on those when I joined the gym (having shot 80# bow a lot for a few yrs prior).

But............I couldn't bench 150 LOL.

No more gym, for a decade, injury caused reduced archery................and what happens?
Buddy has a bench, asks me to try 200#.

I laughed..............no freakin way.
But I did and not just one, but a set.

WTH?

For me drawing the bow is no big deal, as is holding it. It's the mass weight of the bow that tires me.
Injury still makes that the major source of fatigue.

I bet holding a weight out at arms length for a while to be a good exercise for compound shooters (as their rigs can be a bit heavy).

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I also think easing into shooting a good thing (to not ingrain bad habits).
2 brain farts and quit for the day, no matter what.

Shooting after work is tougher than going out on a weekend (mentally). So shooting after work makes sense, as it toughens focus abilities..........but don't get freaked if you just can't shoot as well as you do on a Sat morning, an hr after a good breakfast.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Pull bow back, hold it longer and longer!

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
When i use to bow hunt i would do a couple hundred push ups a day,It kept those muscles strong.Also added some stretching to keep them limber.Worked great for me.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by hookeye
For me drawing the bow is no big deal, as is holding it. It's the mass weight of the bow that tires me.
Injury still makes that the major source of fatigue.

I bet holding a weight out at arms length for a while to be a good exercise for compound shooters (as their rigs can be a bit heavy).

+1 to holding a dumbbell out at arm's length, seems to make it easier to hold the sights steady.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Simply practice as you shoot. I do not hold at full draw, but draw and loose as almost the same motion. My style is different than most Archers.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
dumbell rows

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nothing like practice 3 or 4 times a week.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
General farm labor has kept me plenty strong and limber enough for bowshooting so far.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Mostly, just shoot! That said, make sure you're doing it properly. If your draw length is not set correctly, you will find it difficult to hold steady at your full draw. You COULD be drawing too short to get to full let off. Also, make sure you draw with the back, and use THAT tension to hold, NOT the shoulder. Without using the back, you can get a lot of creep, and even draw too short. As far as exercises, single arm dumbell rows involve the rear delt and back. That should help with strength. More than likely, it is a setup and technique problem, in my opinion.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Even if you are doing the shooting or exercises, think about work and projects that could mess you up.
Take extra precaution to not get injured.

Deer season is coming up!

(I jacked my back at work last night, couldn't shoot today- learn from my mistake).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Shoot shoot shoot. Start off at a lower poundage, shoot that for a week or so then give the limb bolts maybe a half turn then give it a go for another week. Won't take long and you will be at the poundage you want.

When you start feeling weak or notice accuracy falling off then stop, no need to form bad habits.

This

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Pull ups

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Pull ups are a great strengthen exercise.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Shoot 10 or 15 minutes every day.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

602 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 160user, 1234, 16penny, 10Glocks, 69 invisible), 2,038 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,269
Posts18,448,309
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.