Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Load Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Need some advice from you folks. Little backstory to hopefully frame the questions better. My father has been an avid hunter and fisherman for the last 50+ years. He ended up breaking his ankle a few months back (4 plates and 18 screws) and we're not sure how much he will bounce back to where he was. My stepmother thinks (and she is a medical professional) that he won't get back to his full potential but may be up for one more big hunting trip wants to send him on one. She has asked me to not only go with, which I will gladly do, but to also do some research. She is thinking that Africa (he has been twice before) might be too far away, though I know that the plains game type hunting shouldn't be too taxing. It was a heck of a lot easier than Elk Hunting in the Blue Mountains of Oregon over Thanksgiving weekend. I think he would enjoy Africa more than anything else but I would like to present alternatives to her. We definitely wouldn't want a high fence ranch type hunt.

So, I was thinking maybe a Moose hunt. I know some areas are not the best for a person that has reduced mobility but I was hoping that some of you might have used reputable Outfitters that hunt in areas where they can use ATV's for the long distance stuff. Also, which would be better, not for Godzilla sized Moose, but value wise - BC or Alaska?

If there are any other ideas I’m open to suggestions.

thanks for your help ahead of time -

Last edited by Load; 08/16/17. Reason: grammer
GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Can he mount a horse? That would seem to present lots more options. I've had excellent luck with a BC outfitter, and would be glad to PM the info, if you're interested.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Load Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
No, I don't think he will be able to climb up and down off of a horse. Thanks for the offer though.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Possibly a float trip in Alaska? Several Outfitters can set you up for this. Getting in and out of the raft or boat could pose problems and your dad would need to stay away from the muskage (sp?) but the younger guys could do all the heavy hauling.

My choice would be Namibia or South Africa. I didn't do this but you could hunt primarily out of the safari car. I walked a lot but we would do it in one to three miles increments and at the end of a stalk we would flash a mirror and the driver would appear in minutes.

Not sure about the four wheeler they can be pretty rough on old bones (like mine). What about a snow machine hunt? Not sure if any of the seasons are late enough for this but maybe Caribou?

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Since he likes to fish maybe a stag in Scotland along with some salmon fishing. Mom might like to go along too. stay on an estate do a little sight seeing. Maybe Argentina, New Zeland or one of the Central European countries and combine some hunting with a river cruise.

IC B2

Load Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for the ideas. I'll be sure to pass them along. I was talking to him last night and he kept bringing up Africa.

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Namibia or Botswana plains game hunts are very nice. If he has been twice there is a chance he has only shot on the farms in South Africa (wild guess on my part). If so he might appreciate hunts in these other African countries.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Sorry I can't be of much help on moose, but of the moose hunting I have done and am aware of, someone with a bad ankle would have lots of problems, Alaska or BC.

If he really want's to go to Africa, that is the route I would go. I'm sure you could put a decent plains game hunt together that would be easy on his ankle.

If Africa is too far and taxing for him and you want to keep him in the US, a nice Antelope (pronghorn) hunt in Wyoming would probably be quite fun. Usually nice weather, usually lots of game, not much walking in a good area, and if you're willing to spend a bit, you can set up in a nice lodge or even a hotel if you wanted to. You might even be able to put together a combo Mule Deer/Antelope hunt which would be loads of fun.

Good luck to you!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

265 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 300_savage, 1beaver_shooter, 35 invisible), 2,826 guests, and 1,035 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,625
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.