Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
At the risk of beating tire questions to death....I've narrowed it down to BFG A/T KO2's or Michelin LTX M/S2. Costco has them for the same price. The BFG's have more of a traction tread but no warranty at all. I don't do much off road with my pickup. I have a Razor for that. But still, sometimes mud and snow can happen when the Razor isn't in the back of the truck. I'd like to have the warranty but I'm a little concerned about the highway tread. How is the traction with the Michelins?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
You do mean LTX M/S2's ? Of those two I'd go with the BFG's. It's not really a fair comparison since the BFG is an all-terrain tire and the LTX2 is a highway all-season tire. My Cherokee XJ came with the original LTX's. They didn't work out for me at all. Also this from the Tire Rack site:
The LTX M/S2 Highway All-Season tire is NOT a dedicated winter / snow tire. It does NOT meet the severe snow traction requirements and is NOT branded with the three-peak mountain/snowflake symbol (3PMSF).

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Oops. I let off the 2. Fixed it.
Thanks for the info. I hadn't read about the 3pmsf thing.

― George Orwell

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I'm not sure if it's the LTX2 or not. Their site shows a Defender LTX M/S.

https://tires.costco.com/SearchBySi...hID=0cae51b6-1bb4-4eb4-8602-c88dafbb5d08

Last edited by EZEARL; 08/17/17.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
they show the LTX M/S2. I think Defender is the name for the general line.

― George Orwell

IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
They're two totally different tires for two totally different purposes. I had BFG KO2s and liked them on my Frontier. They wore really well, were great in the snow, and were relatively quiet on the highway (they did get louder as they wore)....BUT if I had a more dedicated ORV as you're describing I'd go with the Michelins. They will probably wear just as well, they'll be quieter and they will probably be just as good in the snow and rain.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Maybe others will reply but my vote is for the BFG. I would have thought Costco would have had a better selection of all-terrain tires. IMHO for an SUV or truck I can't see going with an all-season tire.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I see that Costco also carries Bridgestone but our store doesn't stock them. They have to order them from their warehouse. For that matter, they don't stock my size either so I need to order them. It takes about 3 or 4 days.
Do you know anything about the Bridgestone-Dueler A/T REVO 2? Tire Rack's reviews aren't as good as the BFG's KO2's.

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I see that Costco also carries Bridgestone but our store doesn't stock them. They have to order them from their warehouse. For that matter, they don't stock my size either so I need to order them. It takes about 3 or 4 days.
Do you know anything about the Bridgestone-Dueler A/T REVO 2?

Best damn tire I ever put on my Jeep and Ram.
No other AT tire works as well in the wet. They work great on any road surface with low noise (great on the Jeep with the top down).

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Tire Rack rates the Revo considerably lower than the BFG KO2. They have the BFG as #1 out of 17 and the Revo as #12. Their customer reviews also have the KO2 much higher.

― George Orwell

IC B3

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Thing about all-terrain tires is that some are more aggressive than others. Seems they should divide that category in to two. There are trade offs when you go more aggressive.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EZEARL
Thing about all-terrain tires is that some are more aggressive than others. Seems they should divide that category in to two. There are trade offs when you go more aggressive.

Indeed. There are AT's out there that are basically mud tires with smaller void spacing. They are compromise tires that work well for many.

I'd rather have a smooth-riding and long-lasting AT, then put on a dedicated mud tire on some take-off wheels for hunting season. Then again, I use my Tacoma much like an ATV from October through January.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
For hunting, I seldom need aggressive tires. Where we hunt, we park low near good roads and hike. You can't take any wheeled vehicle where the elk are.

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Tire Rack rates the Revo considerably lower than the BFG KO2. They have the BFG as #1 out of 17 and the Revo as #12. Their customer reviews also have the KO2 much higher.

I have had plenty of BFG tires. Loud and do not stop on wet pavement. After I got in a accident because my Jeep would not stop on a wet road I put the Revo's on and never looked back. They work much better on ice too.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
I drive mainly highway and my truck weights 8000 pounds. I just put on my second set of Michelin LTX M/S2's. While Michelin has updated this tire to the Michelin LTX M/S Defender, I was able to find the older model at Walmart. Reason I didn't want the newer model is because I went 105,000 miles on my last set of LTX M/S2 tires and didn't feel like experimenting. They have never once lost traction in the rain, important to me considering the weight of my truck. They're the smoothest, quietest tires I've ever used and they're not all that bad in the snow, especially if you have 4 wheel drive. A dedicated off road tire they're not, but for me they're the best overall compromise for a vehicle that runs mostly on the highway.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I wouldn't have a set of bfgs after a KO2 on my dad's superduty mysteriously lost the cap and wrecked his front fender and nearly wrecked the whole rig. Tire had less than 20k on it and was less than 3 years old, caused $4400 worth of damage. Bfg did nothing to help not even a pro rated replacement. He pitched the other three and sprung for a new set of Cooper AT3s that have been great.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

watch these guys.........

no tax/free shipping.........Labor Day soon means big promo discounts......

BFG AT KO2's.........!!

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/tires/bfgoodrich/home.do

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
So what you got Rock Chuck? Three choices?

Here's another good place to deal with. Haven't mounted them yet.

https://www.tires-easy.com/brands/falken-tires/wildpeak-a-t3w?code=28034108

Last edited by EZEARL; 08/17/17.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Costco has the best prices around here for similar quality. I want to get them locally for service reason.

― George Orwell

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by TheKid
. He pitched the other three and sprung for a new set of Cooper AT3s that have been great.

That would be my choice too. I've had BFG's, Good Years, Michelins, and Firestones. The Good Years had great off road traction, horrible on road traction and only lasted only 15K miles. The Michelin lasted forever but traction sucked. The Firestone sucked all around. BFG's were somewhere in the middle. Coopers had great off road traction, decent on road traction, and lasted 20-30miles on a 2500 diesel truck regularly towing 8000lbs.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

470 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 57 invisible), 2,624 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,946
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.