Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Looking for a large comfortable and safe climber. I've climbed for over 30 years but got rid of my last climber a couple years ago. I need a large,comfortable and safe climber. Weight isn't much of an issue. I won't be carrying very far but I have several small private locations and can't hang permanent stands. Just wondering if the Titan is the biggest and most comfortable,or if there is something else on the market that I'm not aware of.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I know you know this, but as tree stands go, even the safest climbers are among the most dangerous stands. I'm not sure is bigger is safer. I've been using Vipers for a long time. As safety goes, I'm the biggest limiting factor.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by kingston
I know you know this, but as tree stands go, even the safest climbers are among the most dangerous stands. I'm not sure is bigger is safer. I've been using Vipers for a long time. As safety goes, I'm the biggest limiting factor.

Yes,sir! I'm always wearing an HSS vest with safety line attached from the time I start climbing. Never had a problem since age 15,nearly 35 years with even crap homemade stands and a rope for safety way back,yes,young and dumb back then. I've been in hundreds of trees.

About 2 years ago I had an accident in an Old Man Grand Multivision. My seat platform just turned loose and came completely off the tree as I was descending in the dark. I was only about 8-10 feet from the ground,but I fell backward with my ankles hung in the webbing strap of the foot platform. It took some hard praying and dedicated effort to get loose. I thought I had broken both ankles. I had my safety equipment on but my ankles had caught the force because my safety line was adjusted too long during the descent.

Once I got down,I was able to walk after a bit and took myself home. Both ankles turned blue-black but were not broken. I will never again use any stand with a webbing strap for the ankles,or any where ankles can get trapped. I haven't climbed in 2 years,but I am ready to go again,a little wiser and a lot more cautious.

I made 2 near fatal mistakes that evening. The tree I was in,was full of vines,and running briers. A vine must have pulled my pin on the seat coming down. My first mistake was not using my head light. It was completely dark and I had several deer close. I didn't want to spook them for the morning hunt,so I was going to slip out as quiet as possible without my light on,otherwise I could have seen what was happening. My second mistake was that I had my safety line adjusted too long so I could move down in longer increments. I'll never do either again.

Tree stands are dangerous,but here in the south very beneficial for hunting. I'm safe and will be safer in the future. I took the time to tell all that though because I always thought I was safe before. No matter how much experience you have,it's the thing you overlook that gets you.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 08/16/17.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Gunslinger is big and comfortable, but it's not one you would want to pack in and out every day.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
The summit titan is a very comfortable stand.
You should like it.

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by JimD.
Gunslinger is big and comfortable, but it's not one you would want to pack in and out every day.

Thanks Jim.that's what I was wanting ,suggestions I don't know about. I'll compare it to the Titan.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Thinking about buying a Titan myself this year. I've never had one with a cable though, so I'm not sure if I'll like that.

I have 2 of the older Tree Lounge stands and an API Predator that's probably 30 years old. I hunted out of all 3 last year but had an incident with Predator that has me thinking about retiring it. My incident was very similar to yours only not nearly as bad. I was climbing a tree with vines nearby, had made 1 or 2 climbing motions when the top portion came off the tree. Apparently, something pulled one of the pins for the V bar causing it to come off the tree. I too has in a harness but had it too loose, so I fell to the ground. Fortunately, I wasn't hurt.

Last edited by KoolBreeze; 08/16/17.

”Those who would give up liberty for security, deserve neither.” Ben Franklin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not a particularly large fellow, so I use the Viper, but I did have a Titan. Very comfortable, but I could tell that it was a little bigger and heavier when on my back.

I kept it until a friend expressed a desire to buy a treestand, so I made him a deal.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
I'm not a particularly large fellow, so I use the Viper, but I did have a Titan. Very comfortable, but I could tell that it was a little bigger and heavier when on my back.

I kept it until a friend expressed a desire to buy a treestand, so I made him a deal.

I'm a large fellow. 6'4" 280lbs. That's why I'm looking for a large stand.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It has a couple inches on each side, is a tad longer, and the platform is bigger vs the Viper.

The fellow I sold it to is close to your size. He likes it, but it's the only stand he's ever used...

IC B3

B
BKS Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Summit 180 has a LONGER top platform and you can sit toward the tree or away.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Those are a nice setup, and with the versatility you mention.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I know this is an older post but I felt compelled to suggest the 3rd hand straps and bow holder for whatever stand you have decided on. I personally like the goliath,also made by summit, but have it rigged out with 3rd hand archery straps,actually feels like a lock on when the straps are deployed and tight, and bow holder.

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good suggestion. I've looked at those.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a Titan and am 6-2, 220. Had a Viper but it was too narrow for long sits. The Titan is great for carrying in. I added the foot rest and shooting rail and would recommend both for a rifle hunter. I have a Gunslinger and it’s my favorite right up to the time I have to carry it in or out. I even rigged up threaded rods and knobs to clamp the two pieces together but it’s still large and noisy carrying in. I find a tree or a hid close to a spot so I don’t have to carry. Almost all new tree stands are safe but the safety as others mentioned start with you. Tree selection, size, fall arrest systems, and having someone know where you are when to see you.

I’d stay up in a tree all day with my gunslinger , it’s a hunting treehouse with the hammock seat. Morning and afternoon hunts carrying the stand in or for the days you walk in and a find a tree hunts, I’d take the Titan every day.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Obviously I'm a little late to the party but I would suggest the Treewalker.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I almost went treewalker until the owner advised against sitting on the front bar to climb the tree. so, your left with the ole man,step over the net seat at altitude and that was a deal breaker for me,style stand.

Last edited by whitearrow; 02/20/18.

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

103 members (Akpilot, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 1_deuce, akpls, 13 invisible), 1,629 guests, and 854 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,516
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.