Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Here are reviews of the tires your deciding on. Still not sure which Michelins so I included both.
http://tirereviewsandmore.com/bridgestone-dueler-a-t-revo-2-reviews/

http://tirereviewsandmore.com/michelin-defender-ltx-m-s-reviews/

http://tirereviewsandmore.com/michelin-ltx-m-s-2-reviews/

http://tirereviewsandmore.com/bfgoodrich-all-terrain-ta-ko2-reviews/

If I had to pick one? I'd go with the Bridgestone. It's in the middle of the three as far as "aggressiveness" goes. Tread pattern is similar to the Yokohama Geolander A/T G015's we have on our Blazer.

Last edited by EZEARL; 08/17/17.
GB2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you want an E rated AT with a warranty, take a look at Cooper AT3 or ATP (ATP is discount tire only). I have the LT275/65R20 ATP's and they have done very well on road (quiet), off road (traction), and held up to towing and hauling. They are on a diesel and the wear has been good so far. I believe even the E rated Cooper's have a 50,000 mile tread wear warranty, for what it's worth. Unless the last half of the tire goes bad or turns really loud, I'll put the same thing back on when they wear out.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
This afternoon I looked at the Cooper A/T3's. They're more expensive than either the KO2 or Michelin LTX but they come with a $100 Cabelas gift certificate that gets the price very comparable. I'd rather have the cash than the gift cert, though. The Coopers do have a 55k warranty while the KO2's have none.
They also carry Bridgestones. He warned me about a problem with the Revos. They come out of the mold with the shoulders tapering off. He said that if you don't rotate them religiously every 4 to 5k, they'll continue to wear on the shoulders.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I ran a couple sets of BFG Revo's on a diesel 4x4. They were decent snow tires, but pitiful on icy roads. IIRC they were done by 50K miles.
Next set of tires on my current F150 will be the michelins, their longer warranty/expected service life is a nice bonus.. I think Brad has a set on his Tacoma and reports they are good on snow/icy roads.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Costco has the best prices around here for similar quality. I want to get them locally for service reason.

Have you purchased tires at Costco before? Just making sure you're aware of how long a rotation takes.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had revos on a 1/2 ton and a Tahoe and was less than impressed.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by patbrennan
I ran a couple sets of BFG Revo's on a diesel 4x4. They were decent snow tires, but pitiful on icy roads. IIRC they were done by 50K miles.
Next set of tires on my current F150 will be the michelins, their longer warranty/expected service life is a nice bonus.. I think Brad has a set on his Tacoma and reports they are good on snow/icy roads.

BFG Revos? You mean Bridgestone I assume?

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got the most expensive Michelin that Sam's club had. I forget the name, but they were highly rated on Tirerack.com. Owners say they last 100,000 miles, and I really don't believe that, but mine are like new with 25,000. Gas mileage seems good, they are quiet, and snow/rain performance is very good. I would buy them again because the overall quality is 9/10 in many factors, and no big trade off in any one area, except maybe initial cost.
I had Revo's and I did not like the performance or wear.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I run cooper discovers on my 2015 Dodge Ram 2500. Made a run from Colorado to Alaska in November and those tires did very well on the snow covered roads on the alcan hwy.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by patbrennan

BFG Revos? You mean Bridgestone I assume?

Sorry, they were bridgestones.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The tire size I need is 245x75R17. The ONLY one of the above tires we've talked about that's available here without a special order is the Cooper A/T3. All the rest take 3 to 5 days to get. They say it's a popular size but if that's the case, why don't they stock them?

The stock size on my Dodge 2500 is 265x70R17. The 245x75 is the same diameter and has the same weight rating but is about 1 inch narrower. They handle better and allow more room for front chains.

― George Orwell

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Got a set of these on my Cherokee XJ now. Would be going into my 5th winter this year. Still siping on all. To date the best A/T I've run.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...Model=Grabber+AT+2&sidewall=Outlined White Letters&partnum=475R7GRAT2OWL&tab=Sizes

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
While we're on the subject of tires, a quick sidetrack.... Do any of you guys run balance beads in them instead of wheel weights? thoughts?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have been running Toyo Open Country M/T's on my Landcruiser and my Duramax. They work well and have great traction, but don't last that long (30k miles or so). I intend to try a set of Hankook M/T's the next go around on the Duramax. I prefer a mud terrain for my location and what I do with the vehicles. I had the tires on the Landcruiser siped when new and it performs great in the snow and ice. Much better then the Open Country A/T's I had previously (those weren't siped, however).

Regards,

Tom
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I used to run Dyna ceramic balance beads in Tokyo M55s. They worked. The only issue is you should really use nitrogen in the tires. In the winter, when using regular air, the moisture settles in the bottom of the tire with the beads. The mixture freezes and causes lumpy tire until it heats up.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Got a new set of wheels and tires I haven't put together yet. Been thinking on beads but don't know a thing about them.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
http://www.innovativebalancing.com

For installation through the valve stem, they offer a little bottle with a gear oil type squirt nozzle and a piece of clear vinyl tubing. After removing the valve core, the bottle is connected to the valve stem with the vinyl tubing. Getting the beads to meter through the tube is slowed as they'll pack themselves into the nozzle and tube. I used an vibrating engraving tool to agitate the beads. Holding the side of the engraver bit on the vinyl tube/valve stem connection created a constant swirling flow of beads into the wheel assembly. It was lickedy-split! My advice would be to install the beads yourself after having the tires mounted and balanced. Every once in a while you'll get a bad tire. Initial road force dynamic balancing will establish a baseline and confirm that the new tires are within spec. Driving on the new tires for a bit will further confirm the tires. I had a bad tire in one set, belts shifted in the first thousand miles. Beads are relatively expensive and your tire guy isn't likely to salvage them for you when mounting the replacement. In this case, beads were strewn all over the floor in a 20' radius around the mounting machine. They were like tiny marbles. In my opinion, for pickup trucks and similar 4x4s, beads are best used with agressive tires that will be used frequently on unpaved and/or poorly maintained surfaces. Large tires with agressive treads typically require more weight to balance. Poor road conditions lead to thrown weights. Mud can build up and dry caked on the backside of the rims. Balance beads are a great alternative to traditional wheel weights in these conditions. In my experience, I ended up using quantities at the maximum end of their recommended range. The first time, II used their more modest estimate and had to order and install more.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If you have TPM's, you have to break the bead to get them in.

― George Orwell

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Many years ago, J.C, Whitney, ( remember them) sold balancing discs that went on between the brake drum or rotor and the wheel that had some kind of pellets in a thin oil that were supposed to dynamically balance your wheels. Haven't seen them advertised for decades.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you have TPM's, you have to break the bead to get them in.

Very good point!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
718 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 78 invisible), 2,681 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,686
Posts18,399,755
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.