Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
What is the easiest way to bed an upward pressure point to a rifle barrel??????????????

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
When bedding it, hang a -6 pound weight off the end of the barrel before you tighten the action screws. I usually bed the action first and add the pressure point as a second step using the above technique. Probably there is a more professional way to accomplish it, but this has worked for me

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Small drop of thick epoxy in the fore end.

Clamp stock upside down in vise and hang 5-10 pounds from the barrel until cured...

That said, it is the answer to the question no one should be asking... I have never seen a pressure point produce a consistently accurate rifle. Finicky is the best description. Full length neutral bedding is always consistent.

Notice today's accurate super-light rifles are generally bedded full length...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
thanks!!

μολὼν λαβέ

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Temporary pressure point to see if your groups change for the better? You can try putting a thin neoprene O ring or 2 (side by side) in the fore end.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Small drop of thick epoxy in the fore end.

Clamp stock upside down in vise and hang 5-10 pounds from the barrel until cured...

That said, it is the answer to the question no one should be asking... I have never seen a pressure point produce a consistently accurate rifle. Finicky is the best description. Full length neutral bedding is always consistent.

Notice today's accurate super-light rifles are generally bedded full length...

Whoops.Forgot to add the upside down part.It's hell getting old and senile.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't care for that hanging weight thing. Tried it a few times and it wasn't consistent. What I have done to find the right pressure is to use squares cut from business cards. Go out to the range, put a couple under the barrel at the fore end, torque action to your specs (I use 40 in/lbs), fire 3 shot groups adding pieces of cards as you fire each group. When you find an accuracy point, bed the fore end around the stack of cards, when it's cured, remove the card stock, bed the hole for appearance, and you're good to go. Only had to do that once as I usually bed the barrels neutral. The largest majority of my guns shoot best that way.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Much. Obliged

μολὼν λαβέ

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bob338
Don't care for that hanging weight thing. Tried it a few times and it wasn't consistent. What I have done to find the right pressure is to use squares cut from business cards. Go out to the range, put a couple under the barrel at the fore end, torque action to your specs (I use 40 in/lbs), fire 3 shot groups adding pieces of cards as you fire each group. When you find an accuracy point, bed the fore end around the stack of cards, when it's cured, remove the card stock, bed the hole for appearance, and you're good to go. Only had to do that once as I usually bed the barrels neutral. The largest majority of my guns shoot best that way.

Question? How did you determine inconsisrentcy in such a complicated system?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What's "complicated" about it? You start off with a layer of cards that puts very light up pressure, fire, loosen action, add another card and keep doing it till you get a good group. Once you do you bed, continue your load development with adjustments to bullet depth if necessary. If you start off with 40 in/lbs on the action screws you can also play with toirque for minute adjustments.

I've hanged weight on the barrel to bed and I found that far more complicated trying to figure how to stabilize the gun upside down and steady enough to hold for the epoxy to cure. Plus what you hang on the end of the barrel tells you nothing. When I finished that way, a couple of times I had to add card stock for more pressure and had to do it all over again. That's when I went to neutral bedding and was mostly successful with that. Much easier to me.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What's "complicated" about it? You start off with a layer of cards that puts very light up pressure, fire, loosen action, add another card and keep doing it till you get a good group. Once you do you bed, continue your load development with adjustments to bullet depth if necessary. If you start off with 40 in/lbs on the action screws you can also play with toirque for minute adjustments.

I've hanged weight on the barrel to bed and I found that far more complicated trying to figure how to stabilize the gun upside down and steady enough to hold for the epoxy to cure. Plus what you hang on the end of the barrel tells you nothing. When I finished that way, a couple of times I had to add card stock for more pressure and had to do it all over again. That's when I went to neutral bedding and was mostly successful with that. Much easier to me.

Accuracy is extremely complicated and making changes and trying to find cause and effect is difficult when dealing with a stressed system... small ambient temperature changes can move all sorts of stuff around, for example.

I have never seen a stressed-bedding rifle shoot consistently.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sitka deer, we think alike for neutral bedding, except for your view of my method as "complicated". I think the business of hanging a weight on a barrel is far more complicated. When you do that it's just a guess what the result is going to be, you have to shoot it to find out, and you might have to add MORE weight, bed again, and stress things further. And you still have to shoot it more to find out!

For your own rifles there isn't even any need to pretty up the bedding after you've done some accuracy testing with stacked business cards in there. You can just bed on your stack of cards, leave them there and bed around them.

This method wasn't mine. For many years I went to the range 4 to 5 times a week. A gunsmith/rifle builder friend who guaranteed his customs to shoot 1 minute, talked me into shooting and developing loads for them. He too had found a neutral bedding to be the best and I started doing his method with my own guns, particularly the thin contours. The heavier contours the builder always started full floated and if they shot, they were left that way. For the thinner contours It was he who took me though the progression which I adopted for my own guns. I avoid pressure point if possible but that was NOT the question the OP asked!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sitka deer, we think alike for neutral bedding, except for your view of my method as "complicated". I think the business of hanging a weight on a barrel is far more complicated. When you do that it's just a guess what the result is going to be, you have to shoot it to find out, and you might have to add MORE weight, bed again, and stress things further. And you still have to shoot it more to find out!

For your own rifles there isn't even any need to pretty up the bedding after you've done some accuracy testing with stacked business cards in there. You can just bed on your stack of cards, leave them there and bed around them.

This method wasn't mine. For many years I went to the range 4 to 5 times a week. A gunsmith/rifle builder friend who guaranteed his customs to shoot 1 minute, talked me into shooting and developing loads for them. He too had found a neutral bedding to be the best and I started doing his method with my own guns, particularly the thin contours. The heavier contours the builder always started full floated and if they shot, they were left that way. For the thinner contours It was he who took me though the progression which I adopted for my own guns. I avoid pressure point if possible but that was NOT the question the OP asked!

I agree, we are not far apart, but after decades of "wasting" powder, primers, and bullets I realized there was never a repeatable moment with pressure-bedded rifles. Since I gave up on the notion the saved components would have built a water system for a large African village.

Damn glad I put holes in paper instead!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

474 members (06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 49 invisible), 1,908 guests, and 1,073 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,721
Posts18,457,266
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.