Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Also have a Sinclair and a NECO. The Sinclair is smoother than the RCBS, but doesn't measure any more accurately.

I have the early Sinclair with the regular V-blocks, the current Sinclair with the bumps on the V-blocks, and a Casemaster. I use the Casemaster mostly.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have the Casemaster and like the multiple functions it performs. I haven't used any other gauges though, so I don't have anything to compare against.

One word of caution when measuring case neck thickness with the Casemaster: The case neck pin sleeve on my unit didn't have perfectly square ends. What I mean is when I put the dial indicator on the sleeve and rotated it around (without measuring a piece of brass) it showed a .001 variation in itself. That is an issue when you are sorting case necks to .0015 variation or less. Also when measuring neck thickness, since the case head is not supported, if you are not careful the case will waggle(scientific term) around and cause inaccuracies in your readings. I ended up getting a mandrel and appropriate sized pilot from the Redding case neck gauge. It fits in the probe retainer of the Casemaster. The mandrel supports the case head better and I feel you get more accurate neck thickness readings that way.

Just my experience and 2 cents. I had no issues measuring bullet or neck concentricity with the Casemaster. It works well for me.

Last edited by JayJunem; 08/20/17.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Mule Deer: Thank you; that's pretty much in line with what I was thinking.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Might just be me though. I like accuracy and feel I owe it to the critter I'm pulling the trigger on.... wink

Yep, it's just you, unlike the rest of the people on this thread who are discussing which concentricity guage is best and why.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

F
F
And what do you do if you measure undue runout? You'll probably buy a better seating die.
I buy propper tools in the first place instead of wasting money on gadgets

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Fuchs
And what do you do if you measure undue runout? You'll probably buy a better seating die.

Sounds very familiar. Sock puppet?

There are other sources of runout besides seating dies.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Nah, it's true mathman. You can use brass that's crooked as a banana with neck thickness variations but a "proper" seating die will fix all that.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by kingston
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Yep, that's the one I use but it's an old bastid. That article that was put out by Rifle magazine is very interesting and was informative for me. One of the reasons I bought the little wiggler when I found it in a local shop. Works excellent for my needs, but it may not be the best tool for someone else. This is the only reason I did not suggest it as the best and why. I say use what works for you, they all pretty much tell you the same thing, but you'd be very hard pressed finding a Brown Precision now days. I have no idea what Smoke pole is smoking either. Must be some good chit though... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by Fuchs

Sounds very familiar. Sock puppet for Swifty52?

There are other sources of runout besides seating dies.

It took a while for my memory to work. grin

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I use the Hornady and have been very happy with it. It has revealed how much difference dies can make. Lee collet neck sizing dies typically result in .002 or less in runout vs .006 or so using RCBS. Group sizes and consistency have both improved.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

172 members (2ndwind, 17CalFan, 907brass, 257_X_50, 44automag, 30 invisible), 1,978 guests, and 1,028 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,488
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.