Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I've been looking at the Neco, Sinclair, 21st Century, H&H, Accuracy One, etc....

Do your recommended any one of these over the others?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
HR IC

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Following.

Salmonhead
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I sold an RCBS to buy a Sinclair recently. Was a good move.

The 21st Century one looks like it would be even better, but not all that necessary.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I use the Sinclair and like it.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
sinclair

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I'm thinking I will go with a Sinclair heard great things about them

Tater
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Does anyone use the 21st Century?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
I use the Sinclair and like it.

John

+1

I should have bought one long ago. I've been surprised sometimes at some cheap dies making straight ammo. I've also found some bullet seater-stem and bullet profile incompatibilities that produced wonky ammo. Who knows how many times I discounted a load in the past because I got fliers, when it was actually runout that was the problem?

Now with even more aplomb
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by kingston
Does anyone use the 21st Century?

I haven't since I've had a Sinclair for a while. But it does look like a nice piece of equipment, and I do have a 21st Century neck turning tool which is first class so I'd feel confident buying other gear from 21st.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The one I generally recommend for a first-timer is the RCBS Casemaster, since it also measures neck thickness, a critical component in several aspects of accuracy, including sizing cases straightly.

Also have a Sinclair and a NECO. The Sinclair is smoother than the RCBS, but doesn't measure any more accurately. The NECO measures neck (and case-body) thickness as well, but is slower to use. Which is why my Casemaster still gets more use than the others.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I seldom use it, but I've had a Sinclair for several years. Easy to use and I assume the readings are accurate.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
S
I haven't used the Sinclair so can't comment on it, but I can't see a think wrong with my RCBS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Sinclair and like it fine. Haven't used any others.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
My Sinclair gauge is the least used tool on my bench. If my rifles are shooting well, I don't gauge the cartridges. I used to do this regularly and very seldom found anything with a runout of more than .003. That's probably too much for benchrest guys, but when you're getting small groups from a hunting or varmint rifle, I'm satisfied with it. I use a Co-Ax press to load all rifle ammo; whether that has a bearing on anything or not, I don't know.

For those of you with experience in this area: if you're dealing with runout alone as a factor that affects accuracy, how much runout does it generally take to become a problem?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another vote for Sinclair

NRA Life Member

"You might as well be wrong, as be right and not know it"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got the Hornady. I've checked mayeb 200 rounds and never found one over .003". Wish I'd of saved the money.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Higbean
I sold an RCBS to buy a Sinclair recently. Was a good move.

All I've ever used was an RCBS, just curious as to why some guys who've used both like the Sinclair better?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Gun_Geezer
I got the Hornady. I've checked mayeb 200 rounds and never found one over .003". Wish I'd of saved the money.

To some, it's worth it to know your dies are set up for minimal run-out. I have no regrets in having/using and keeping my Brown precision:

[Linked Image]

Might just be me though. I like accuracy and feel I owe it to the critter I'm pulling the trigger on.... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
lotech,

As I recall, the directions with the RCBS Casemaster suggests that runout of more than .005 inch won't result in better accuracy with most big game rifles, especially with full-length sized brass. They also suggest .003 inch as maximum for varmint rifles using neck-sized brass.

I've experimented considerably with various run-out gauges since about 1990, when I first acquired a Casemaster. I've found the RCBS directions (as well as I can remember them from 1990, anyway) were pretty much correct. I have also found that as much as .001 runout makes a difference in accuracy in my benchrest rifle--and that runout of .006 or more can make noticeable difference in group size in factory big game rifles.

So, as usual, it all depends.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Also have a Sinclair and a NECO. The Sinclair is smoother than the RCBS, but doesn't measure any more accurately.

I have the early Sinclair with the regular V-blocks, the current Sinclair with the bumps on the V-blocks, and a Casemaster. I use the Casemaster mostly.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have the Casemaster and like the multiple functions it performs. I haven't used any other gauges though, so I don't have anything to compare against.

One word of caution when measuring case neck thickness with the Casemaster: The case neck pin sleeve on my unit didn't have perfectly square ends. What I mean is when I put the dial indicator on the sleeve and rotated it around (without measuring a piece of brass) it showed a .001 variation in itself. That is an issue when you are sorting case necks to .0015 variation or less. Also when measuring neck thickness, since the case head is not supported, if you are not careful the case will waggle(scientific term) around and cause inaccuracies in your readings. I ended up getting a mandrel and appropriate sized pilot from the Redding case neck gauge. It fits in the probe retainer of the Casemaster. The mandrel supports the case head better and I feel you get more accurate neck thickness readings that way.

Just my experience and 2 cents. I had no issues measuring bullet or neck concentricity with the Casemaster. It works well for me.

Last edited by JayJunem; 08/20/17.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Mule Deer: Thank you; that's pretty much in line with what I was thinking.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Might just be me though. I like accuracy and feel I owe it to the critter I'm pulling the trigger on.... wink

Yep, it's just you, unlike the rest of the people on this thread who are discussing which concentricity guage is best and why.

F
F
And what do you do if you measure undue runout? You'll probably buy a better seating die.
I buy propper tools in the first place instead of wasting money on gadgets

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Fuchs
And what do you do if you measure undue runout? You'll probably buy a better seating die.

Sounds very familiar. Sock puppet?

There are other sources of runout besides seating dies.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Nah, it's true mathman. You can use brass that's crooked as a banana with neck thickness variations but a "proper" seating die will fix all that.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by kingston
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Yep, that's the one I use but it's an old bastid. That article that was put out by Rifle magazine is very interesting and was informative for me. One of the reasons I bought the little wiggler when I found it in a local shop. Works excellent for my needs, but it may not be the best tool for someone else. This is the only reason I did not suggest it as the best and why. I say use what works for you, they all pretty much tell you the same thing, but you'd be very hard pressed finding a Brown Precision now days. I have no idea what Smoke pole is smoking either. Must be some good chit though... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by Fuchs

Sounds very familiar. Sock puppet for Swifty52?

There are other sources of runout besides seating dies.

It took a while for my memory to work. grin

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I use the Hornady and have been very happy with it. It has revealed how much difference dies can make. Lee collet neck sizing dies typically result in .002 or less in runout vs .006 or so using RCBS. Group sizes and consistency have both improved.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
702 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 73 invisible), 2,726 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,682
Posts18,399,706
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.