-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[quote=Dillonbuck]Zero throttle launch, my ass. Computer controlled, bullshitt.
With the exception of the 2 cycle Detroits, any inline 6 cylinder
diesel has the ability to pull out without throttle.
It's called a governor.

No dog in this scuffle but RC is right. My '06 will start in 3rd gear without me touching the throttle, might do it in 4th. Let the clutch out slowly and the engine, computer or whatever, will give enough fuel to move w/o stalling. The space shuttle doesn't launch this hard.

My '90 & a '93 I use for work will stall if you don't give 'em enough fuel starting.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My 90 and 91.5 both start without touching the throttle, even in some pretty frigid weather. Both will idle chained & rolled tree stumps out the ground without touching the throttle as well.

I would check - in this order - air ingress into the fuel system from the tank to the injectors; leaking injector nozzles; a sticking dynamic advance piston; brittle/compromised rubber tips on your Fuel Shutoff Solenoids.

At the very least, screw a mechanical fuel pressure gauge into the bleed port hole in the fuel filter housing and go from there.

Originally Posted by weaselsRus
My '90 & a '93 I use for work will stall if you don't give 'em enough fuel starting.

Low speed, high drag
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ofelas
My 90 and 91.5 both start without touching the throttle, even in some pretty frigid weather. Both will idle chained & rolled tree stumps out the ground without touching the throttle as well.

I would check - in this order - air ingress into the fuel system from the tank to the injectors; leaking injector nozzles; a sticking dynamic advance piston; brittle/compromised rubber tips on your Fuel Shutoff Solenoids.

At the very least, screw a mechanical fuel pressure gauge into the bleed port hole in the fuel filter housing and go from there.

I should have clarified, both older trucks will stall as the clutch is engaging if I'm pulling enough weight, just like they should. The '06 is a PITA when you're trying to start off slow with the computer feeding more fuel. Those old 12 valves will start down to -10F without being plugged in.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some trivia. My 07 dodge 2500 4x4 standard cab 5.9 diesel is getting its first auto transmission rebuild at 57K next month. It wore out from normal use. Not chipped, no lift, stock tire size. First thing to go on it was the front drive shaft. Wore out at about 55k. It gets around 16mpg for normal driving. As the lightest 5.9 body style with the standard cab, mileage is not what a lot of people claim. It eats tires. The steering gear box has an annoying clack in it. When it is working it is great to drive, Great power, great ride, phenomenal brakes, Great 4x4 system. It will tow almost any trailer you would hook it too. Paid $34k for it. at the time it was not a cheap truck. Built in Mexico and the paint looks like it. I have no intention of selling it. But it is an expensive truck to drive. Sometimes it sits waiting for $ to come in, to feed its addictions. It sat out one hunting season, because I did not have $1000 for new tires. It is sitting out in the snow right now, Waiting for a transmission. But it has good tires. A full tank of diesel. It just needs me to feed it the next $3800.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by 7 STW
Originally Posted by NYH1
I have a '15 Ram 2500 Reg Cab 4x4, 6.4 Hemi, 4.10 LSD w/ 8.5' Fisher Xtreme V-plow. Trucks been great so far. Also have a '07 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi. Still runs great.

GM uses the same axles in their trucks as Ram does. They both use AAM front and rear diffs. GM uses a IFS type front. Ram uses a solid front axle. GM uses 10.5" or 11.5" depending on the truck. Since 2014 Ram uses 11.5" in all 2500/3500 SRW trucks and a 11.8" in their DRW high output diesels trucks. GM may do the same with their DRW diesels, not sure.

NYH1.

Don't know about the front but GM heavy duty SRW pick ups run the GM Corporate full floating 14 bolt axel. They have since the early 70's

First let me say that I'm no expert on trucks. However, I do know a lot about plow trucks and how they're equipped....but I'm no expert!

With that said, American Axle Manufacture bought Final Drive and Forge Business Unit from GM's Saginaw Division, which made the corporate 10.5" 14 bolt. The AAM 10.5" in the Chevy/GMC's is now the 10.5" 14 bolt. It's been changed/upgraded some. However, some parts are interchangeable. All AAM 10.5", 11.5" and 11.8" axles have full floating axles whether for Dodge or GM.

AAM also makes the Saginaw 9.5" semi-floating axle for the half ton's. I think they put them in trucks with the 6.2L.

NYH1.

Take nothing I say personal, remember....it's just the interweb!

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
^^^^^^
I have a little experience goofing around with 4 wheel drives, and hauling car parts as a truck driver.

The auto business is quite incestuous, so many people run their mouths, "I would never drive a.....".
When everyday, they drive around in a vehicle that has parts built by those they hate. Or, so many of
the parts are outsourced from vendors that supply the whole industry.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
^^^^^^
I have a little experience goofing around with 4 wheel drives, and hauling car parts as a truck driver.

The auto business is quite incestuous, so many people run their mouths, "I would never drive a.....".
When everyday, they drive around in a vehicle that has parts built by those they hate. Or, so many of
the parts are outsourced from vendors that supply the whole industry.

Yep! I worked for a major tier one drivetrain component parts manufacture before they moved to Mexico. Was a good 15 year run. We were jointly owned by Chrysler and GM. We made drivetrain parts (mainly four wheel drive parts) for most of the industry. Chrysler, GM, Ford to name a few, all used our products.

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[quote=Dillonbuck]Zero throttle launch, my ass. Computer controlled, bullshitt.
With the exception of the 2 cycle Detroits, any inline 6 cylinder
diesel has the ability to pull out without throttle.
It's called a governor.

No dog in this scuffle but RC is right. My '06 will start in 3rd gear without me touching the throttle, might do it in 4th. Let the clutch out slowly and the engine, computer or whatever, will give enough fuel to move w/o stalling. The space shuttle doesn't launch this hard.

After considerable searching, I have failed at finding anything online about how ZTL works. I don't know if it's programmed into the computer, works through the governor, or what. I just know what it does. You keep your foot off the throttle and slowly let out the clutch. Before it stalls, the engine will speed up just enough to get it moving and it will keep pulling until you touch the throttle. It's fantastic for getting a heavy load moving up a hill.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I had a 2003 2500 with the Cummins 5.9 sold it with 230k on it and running great, currently have a 2015 1500 with the v6 and 51000 miles both trucks have been reliable and trouble free.

Benefactor Life Member NRA, Arizona Hunter Education Instructor
V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I have a '15 Ram 2500 Reg Cab 4x4, 6.4 Hemi, 4.10 LSD w/ 8.5' Fisher Xtreme V-plow. Trucks been great so far. Also have a '07 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi. Still runs great.

GM uses the same axles in their trucks as Ram does. They both use AAM front and rear diffs. GM uses a IFS type front. Ram uses a solid front axle. GM uses 10.5" or 11.5" depending on the truck. Since 2014 Ram uses 11.5" in all 2500/3500 SRW trucks and a 11.8" in their DRW high output diesels trucks. GM may do the same with their DRW diesels, not sure.

NYH1.

Don't know about the front but GM heavy duty SRW pick ups run the GM Corporate full floating 14 bolt axel. They have since the early 70's

The common 10.5” is still used on gas GMs, but the duramax and the 8.1 gas got the newer 11.5” aam unit.

IC B3

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Vek

NYH1.

The common 10.5” is still used on gas GMs, but the duramax and the 8.1 gas got the newer 11.5” aam unit.

Right.

American Axle Manufacture bought Final Drive and Forge Business Unit from GM's Saginaw Division, which made the Corporate 10.5" 14 bolt. The AAM 10.5" in the Chevy/GMC's is now what used to be the "Corporate 10.5" 14 bolt". It's been changed/upgraded some. However, some parts are interchangeable.

A similar version of the AAM 10.5" rear was used in Ram 2500/3500 trucks depending on engine/trans setups. Starting in 2014 IIRC, Ram puts AAM 11.5" rear's in all it's 2500/3500's no matter the engine/trans setup 5.7L, 6.4L gas or 6.7L CTD, in both SRW and DRW trucks. The exception being the CTD HO DRW gets the AAM 11.8" rear.

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by BWalker
If exposed to salt they rot out very fast.

Not mine. and you won't find more heavy use of salt than MN/WI.

Banana belt compare to Upper MI.

I've been to the UP. MN/WI beat them all to hell as far as salt. They now put a salty chemical mix down before it snows and it gets that schit all over the cars.

Considering how little/often you get snow I highly doubt it.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
If exposed to salt they rot out very fast.

Not mine. and you won't find more heavy use of salt than MN/WI.

Banana belt compare to Upper MI.

I've been to the UP. MN/WI beat them all to hell as far as salt. They now put a salty chemical mix down before it snows and it gets that schit all over the cars.

Considering how little/often you get snow I highly doubt it.

How little we get snow in MN?

Camp is where you make it.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Hmmmm.....I know parts of the UP get snow but...Have you ever driven in N WI or N Minnesota? Salt is laid thick and heavy, we can't have people learning how to drive without it, ya know...

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Tzone, Hibbing gets 59 inches on average of snow and the town I am from in the UP averages 173. There are many places that average much more in the UP.

Last edited by BWalker; 01/13/18.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by sgt217
Hmmmm.....I know parts of the UP get snow but...Have you ever driven in N WI or N Minnesota? Salt is laid thick and heavy, we can't have people learning how to drive without it, ya know...

I lived in the UP for almost 25 years. Traveled extensively thrrough Northern Wisconsin and Northern MN for work.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Why doesn't someone file a lawsuit to prevent the lake from being polluted with salt? It never goes away. It just gets moved around. The enviro-weenies should jump right on it.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
2014 ram .got 92,000.only problem so far the fuel gauge stoped working.better mileage than chey i had,also the 2012 chevy used 1 gt oil every 2000 miles and chevy said that was normal.thats when i traded for a ram.at 8000 miles using mobil 1 dipstick still on full.i would have went broke on that oil drinking chevy.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Why doesn't someone file a lawsuit to prevent the lake from being polluted with salt? It never goes away. It just gets moved around. The enviro-weenies should jump right on it.

They already are in certain places.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looked at the trip computer mileage for the fist time in about 6 months on my 07 diesel. it was showing 16.9mpg. I checked it on fill ups during this 6 months and it was always close to 16.5mpg.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 72 invisible), 2,661 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,907
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.