Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
OP Offline
O
Vortex Fury 10x42 RF Binocular

Range finding binoculars are great piece of equipment to include with your hunting inventory. This one piece of equipment will enable you to transition from binoculars to a range finder helping you get on target quicker and easier than a standalone rangefinder and binoculars.

I was fortunate enough to spend some time using the Vortex Fury 10x42 RF binocular and thoroughly evaluate their performance. Although I didn’t get the opportunity to test the unit in cold weather, the rain and humidity were extremely high in my area, therefore it was a good proving ground. The binoculars are comfortable in size, compact and not cumbersome, and the same weight as standalone binoculars.

I began by focusing the binoculars to my eye; first the left tube next the right tube taking care that the range finding features were clearly visible by going into the menu mode while I adjusted the right dipoter. I checked the menu options where you can transition between yards and meters, control brightness and inclination. The binocular has dual dioptic adjustment which is convenient with the built in range finder.

While shooting a bow I ranged a close target at 10 yards. I was able to focus and get things clear at that distance. I ranged solid reflective targets to 1333 yards, and a non-reflective whitetail deer sized target to 1035 yards, and I was able to consistently do this even in a light rain. I was very impressed by the binoculars ranging capability across the swamp. I ranged an old cypress tree at 1126 yards, humidity was at 90% that day and things were steamy. I went back with my GPS and confirmed the distance just for fun. It was all accurate. These binoculars were useful while helping a customer zero his rifle at the Nolatac Shooting Center, and they ranged true and performed very well spotting out to 300 yards. For the distance ranging, I did unsupported or leaning on a tripod. To shoot pictures I did use a tripod and mount.

The binoculars are easy to hold and focus. The focus wheel and dioptic adjustments are easy to adjust. The rubber armor doesn’t get slippery when wet, and when using them with Mechanix M-Pact gloves, I was still able to push the buttons. I have let a few people try out the Fury 10x42 binoculars and the interpupillary distance accommodated everyone who tried them. Several people who wear glasses use them with and without glasses, (the eye cup design and eye relief were accommodating). I took the binoculars out in low light on a few occasions, most notably one evening I was able to watched a some does back in the swamp. I was able to keep them in sight and continually range them until well after what would be legal shooting hours.

Over all I think the Vortex fury 10x42 is an awesome rangefinding binocular for the price. If you are in the market for a rangefinding binocular, consider the Vortex Fury 10x42.

Attached Images
fury 3.jpg (64.84 KB, 21 downloads)
fury 4.jpg (72.58 KB, 16 downloads)
fury binoculars 1.jpg (72.42 KB, 16 downloads)
vortex fury 2.jpg (64.46 KB, 11 downloads)
vortex fury 2.jpg (64.46 KB, 11 downloads)
GB1

W
WRO Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
In my short time looking through them, the RF maybe good but the glass sucks. The edge to edge clarity is as bad as the terras and the light transmission is horrendous.

I usually try to take my time evaluating a piece to glass, I lost interest in these in 2 minutes. I tried the nikons to see if they were any better (they're basically the same thing with a different wrapper) and they suck optically too. You're better off to buy a sig Kilo and a set of monarch 7s, the new HGs, or vipers than buy these IMHO.

Heck with the sale, you can have a set of euro's/ meostars and a kilo for the same money.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I've never laid eyes on these Fury's so I don't have a clue, but I asked a guy on another forum, and was told the glass was between the Viper HD and Razor HD. WRO......you'd obviously not agree, right?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I've never laid eyes on these Fury's so I don't have a clue, but I asked a guy on another forum, and was told the glass was between the Viper HD and Razor HD. WRO......you'd obviously not agree, right?

Haters gonna hate.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
W
WRO Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W

They are literally one of the top 5 worst pieces of glass I've looked through. No where near the quality of a viper. They have quite possibly the smallest clean spot with regards to edge to edge clarity I've seen.

I grabbed another set after I looked through the first thinking they were defective, it sucked too.

They may have a great RF, I couldn't get past the glass to test it.

I did play with the new Nikon HG this weekend, not too bad at all. I'll run them through the paces with the new trinovids, conquests, meostars, and razors one of these days..

Last edited by WRO; 08/22/17.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Thanks. I'll be interested your take on the Nikon version. I did get to look through the Nikon at Cabelas, indoors only though. First blush was that it had better glass than I expected.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks. I'll be interested your take on the Nikon version.

Me too. I have the 10x25 Premier LX Ls that I find myself grabbing a lot. I chose them over the "Alpha" compacts and think they're fantastic. I'd really like to hear opinions on how the new HGs compare to the Trinovids.

W
WRO Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Thanks. I'll be interested your take on the Nikon version. I did get to look through the Nikon at Cabelas, indoors only though. First blush was that it had better glass than I expected.

The HG's or the RF's?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
RF binos.

W
WRO Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
RF binos.

They're slightly better, still a green tint to the glass, lot of pin cushioning at the edges etc..

When you can spend 300.00 more and get the HD-R geovids, its a no brainer.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I hear you, just not a Leica fan at all.

W
WRO Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I hear you, just not a Leica fan at all.

I've heard they have gotten better, my buddy, who's a dealer, didn't have his geovids for a year for a warranty repair.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, 8 invisible), 1,482 guests, and 726 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,676
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.