Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
My wife's Highlander gets used as I suspect most do, driving on paved roads. They are not an off road vehicle, nor will it pull my gooseneck trailers. Sorry, I couldn't resist that one. We live in the country, about 1/2 mile down a gravel road from the nearest asphalt. There is some snow involved but lately not much. So, mostly highway and city driving on pavement in what ever weather conditions exist. Could be dry, wet or icy but mostly dry. Lightly loaded. As I like to say, "She loves to drive up and down the road burning up gas and throwing money out of the windows". Plus she's a real estate listing agent.

We had General Grabbers on an Expedition before the Highlander came. They were great but the only General I've found to fit this rig is the HTS60. Will check on them tomorrow but right now the leading contender is the Michelin Defender LTX M/S. Looks like until 8/12, there is a $70 rebate on a set of four.

Thanks for all the input.

BP-B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have had various Bridgestone and a Goodyear tires. Most were ok, but nothing great
Tried Michelins on my current Silverado. They are noticeably more quiet, ride better, do fine in snow/mud. How long they last is to be determined but at 20,000 miles they look new. I'll trade the truck before they wear out.

Last edited by dale06; 08/06/17.

NRA Patron
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
How much snow do you get? All season tires aren't any better than highway tires and don't last as long. They're softer than highways and wear out faster. If you need snow tires, get a spare set of rims and put on REAL snow tires for winter and REAL highway tires for summer. You'll get better performance year round that way.

We are lucky to get a few inches a year of snow, If I lived someplace that snowed a lot , there would be another set of snow tires in the garage and chains.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by AnsonRogers
My wife's Highlander gets used as I suspect most do, driving on paved roads. They are not an off road vehicle, nor will it pull my gooseneck trailers. Sorry, I couldn't resist that one. We live in the country, about 1/2 mile down a gravel road from the nearest asphalt. There is some snow involved but lately not much. So, mostly highway and city driving on pavement in what ever weather conditions exist. Could be dry, wet or icy but mostly dry. Lightly loaded. As I like to say, "She loves to drive up and down the road burning up gas and throwing money out of the windows". Plus she's a real estate listing agent.

We had General Grabbers on an Expedition before the Highlander came. They were great but the only General I've found to fit this rig is the HTS60. Will check on them tomorrow but right now the leading contender is the Michelin Defender LTX M/S. Looks like until 8/12, there is a $70 rebate on a set of four.

Thanks for all the input.

For the conditions you described they are perfect. I had 75K + mileage on a Silverado and Tacoma wearing LTX tires. They looked great

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Use vehicle model and tire size to search for reviews on google.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I also have a Highlander and will be needing tires soon. Thanks to ya'll, it looks like a set of Michelin Defender LTX M/S is what they'll be. And both my usual Les Schwab and Costco carry them.

Looks like in that size, they'll run $200 per tire anywhere. Costco charges $15/tire for disposal of the old tires, but my local (and favorite tire store) Les Schwab does not. I'll be a returning customer.

Last edited by RockyRaab; 08/06/17.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Another vote for Michelin Defender LTX M/S. We put a set on my wife's 2014 Highlander needed tires and have been completely satisfied with them.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks again for all the recommendations. She will be going with the Michelin Defender LTX M/S. Now to find the best deal.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by tikkanut

BFG AT KO2's............but man thats a wierd size ................................

Discount Tire Direct......free ship/no tax..........

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/d...r=0&fl=&sortBy=prca&fqs=true

I wouldn't put those tires on anything. I have them on my '14 Ram. They suck. No and I mean no traction in rain or ice. Sand, they're pretty good. Mud, they're below average, snow, they're pretty good. They get real noisy when they're worn about 1/2 way, and you'll lose about 1-2 mpg.

Camp is where you make it.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by VaHunter
Another vote for Michelin Defender LTX M/S. We put a set on my wife's 2014 Highlander needed tires and have been completely satisfied with them.

Another vote for the Michelin's!

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Surprised that no one here runs Cooper Discoverers .
My 04 Tahoe came with the Michelin LTX-great tire and pricey. Second set was Yoko Geolander which was a total disappointment. Next was the Cooper's which were at least 1/3 less than LTX's. The mileage is going to be close to the LTX and they have performed well in snow.

FJB & FJT
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I’m glad to see so many people recommending Michelins.
For a family/passenger car, they are the best option.
They cost more but last long enough to be “cheaper by the mile”.
The big advantage comes in how well they are built. Less punctures, less blowouts, less failures and problems.
A flat, miles from nowhere can be a problem, a blowout in traffic at high speed can be very dangerous.

MOLON LABE
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just got back from Discount Tires with a set of Michelin Defenders on my Highlander. In the few miles from there to home, they already seem noticeably quieter. I'll pay attention to the other factors as I go, but I'm happy so far.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Round and rubber is preferred. It's not rocket science.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
113 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 300_savage, 17 invisible), 1,373 guests, and 685 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,856
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.