Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#12217270 08/18/17
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I plan to put one on my '12 Polaris 800 RZR before winter. It's a 50" model. Cabelas has their store brand with a lifetime warranty for $400 and only $5 shipping. It looks good but...all they say for fitment is that it fits "most" atv's & utv's. If you go to their Q & A on it, they have a stock answer that says nothing. How can they possibly have one that fits everything? Their 2 dozen reviews are pretty good but the few bad ones are all about making it fit.

Does anyone have any experience with it?

Another question for you guys with snowplow experience: how much wider than the vehicle should the blade be to allow for angle? With a 50" RZR, is 60" wide enough?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Personally I would not go to much wider, unless wide open and don't plan on going near anything.

The adapter plate that bolts to the bottom of your machine is the only thing unique. I thought they were sold seperate. But can't remember.

I don't use one my SXS, but my ATV. Sometimes I will throw 50lbs on front end. With the engine in the middle of UTVs typically, you may want to. But may be hard to find a place for it.

I bought mine from Cabelas, but it is a Warn, I believe.

Cabelas lifetime warranty, isn't always lifetime warranty. It is a period of time. When trying to return something, they gave me a few bucks, even though some similar was being made, and said they were changing the lifetime warranty policy.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
It comes with a pretty good sized square plate that has several holes in it, but if they don't line up with your frame you will have to do some drilling. Maybe the plate, maybe your frame and maybe both. As above, sometimes they offer different adapter kits that have a plate you might not have to drill, but I believe the "universal" one like you are describing will 99% have to be drilled to fit. It actually is a pretty good set up once in place. Drop two pins and it is off and on the ground in a few seconds. Takes a minute to line things up when you put it back on, but still...doesn't get much easier once you are done with the install. Plan on spending a little time with the install though...not hard, just a little time consuming.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The reviews say that it might require some modifications to after market skid plates. I have one of those fiber ones that covers everything. I'd likely have to do a little trimming on that.
This one is supposed to be a universal fit with a one plate fits all.
They do specifically say that it won't fit the full sized RZR 570 but that's the only one they list. I assume it'll fit the 50" 570.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got a Warn plow setup that came with my Rhino when I bought it and it works great. I believe my plow is a 72" that swivels by using a lever to lock and unlock it, it can be a pia sometimes if it ices up but I've had no issues pushing it with my machine unless there is a couple feet on the ground then I have to make a couple runs at it to get it pushed back out of the way.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Can't move snow with a Razr...........

You need a Rhino.............. grin

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

my Rhino blade is 60"

push all the snow you dare.........

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I got one question answered, whether it will fit my RZR. I watched their installation video and they were putting it on the exact same model as mine.

― George Orwell

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
rock chuck I wouldn't go wider than the machine. they are great, but they are not a bulldozer.

esp if you get wet or heavy snow

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I figured the best width is the width of the machine when the blade is angled. So, a 60" should work fine on my 50" RZR...I think.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd say snow blower Rock Chuck. A local guy has a plow on his quad and he spends more time backing up and hitting the snow banks than he would if he would have just blown the snow up over the top and out into the yard. Another neighbor picked up a nearly new 12 hp Toro snow blower at an estate sale for only $300.00. What a deal!!! I had a blade on my K-5 Blazer and found out real quickly that you need to weigh more than what you are pushing. Plus it is really hard on the vehicle. I hit a bank at my place up north and the back of the truck came off the ground and the bank never moved. Blowers will put snow where ever you point it and with enough horse power... way far away. My Honda 928 will throw snow an honest 50 feet. With a blade you need to leave enough room for all the rest of the snow that you plan to put in front of it for the rest of the winter.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
We don't get enough snow to justify a blower. A 4 to 6" snowfall is the most we get most of the time plus it's usually dry snow.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Most Four wheelers and side by sides are not heavy enough to move a serious amount of snow without a lot of weight on the front end. The best plow set up I have seen had a bracket bolted on that held tractor weights. The fellow who owned it said without them it would not move much heavy wet snow. He also chained the tires up to get some traction. Make tire chains an accessory to put on your list.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Windfall
I'd say snow blower Rock Chuck. A local guy has a plow on his quad and he spends more time backing up and hitting the snow banks than he would if he would have just blown the snow up over the top and out into the yard. Another neighbor picked up a nearly new 12 hp Toro snow blower at an estate sale for only $300.00. What a deal!!! I had a blade on my K-5 Blazer and found out real quickly that you need to weigh more than what you are pushing. Plus it is really hard on the vehicle. I hit a bank at my place up north and the back of the truck came off the ground and the bank never moved. Blowers will put snow where ever you point it and with enough horse power... way far away. My Honda 928 will throw snow an honest 50 feet. With a blade you need to leave enough room for all the rest of the snow that you plan to put in front of it for the rest of the winter.

The first push has to be back farther than one thinks they will need. If not, you're in a jackpot.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
With my Razor, for traction possibly the best place to chain is the rear, for 2 reasons. 1st, if the rears haven't slipped, it's a 2x4. If it slips, even a little, the fronts engage. It's like a limited slip from back to front. Next, there's space in back for weights and it's heavy on the rear anyway with the rear engine. Steering might be a problem, though.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Plows on trucks work real well for parking lots, but the lament for lots of home owners is that the guy with the plow scalps their lawn when they put the snow far enough back for the rest of the winter.

Ironbender, I see that you are an Alaskan guy down around the Kenai. What a great memory that was when six of us flew up your way to play with your fish in the Kenai River. It was the first time that I ever blistered my hand catching salmon!

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Almost all atv plows have adjustable skids that prevent scalping. They leave a little snow under them but that's livable.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you have the added real estate to put the snow, the room to manuver a plow, and will plow as soon as the snow falls and before a vehicle drives on the snow or before a berm is set at the the start of the driveway, then a plow will make for a quick job of clearing off a driving surface.

For most homeowners a blower is a much better tool for the job. Speaking of which ours is pretty much shot after 20 seasons and time to break down and get a new one.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Windfall
Plows on trucks work real well for parking lots, but the lament for lots of home owners is that the guy with the plow scalps their lawn when they put the snow far enough back for the rest of the winter.

Ironbender, I see that you are an Alaskan guy down around the Kenai. What a great memory that was when six of us flew up your way to play with your fish in the Kenai River. It was the first time that I ever blistered my hand catching salmon!

Happy to hear you had a good time!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1936M71, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 69 invisible), 2,228 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,128
Posts18,464,641
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.