-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Not to be a nit picker, but the term is Ultra High Molecular Weight (UHMW)
P-tex is a trade name for a polyethelene based UHMW, most commonly known to skiers and snowboarders as the base material of skis and boards.
Kinda sorta same same.

Yup, I'm just hung up on the old slang for UHMW. blush grin

All I know is how slick it is, even over dry asphalt pavement. I was riding with a Trooper up in Fairbanks while there on TDY when we see this airboat come plowing out of a bar, onto Airport Road and take off. The bartender had taken away his truck keys 'cause he was too drunk to drive. The enterprising airboat owner just drove the airboat off of the trailer and took off for home. He couldn't believe he could be arrested for DUI in his airboat! grin

BTW the UHMW was much worse for the wear!

Ed

What year Ed? I'd only heard of one guy to do that, Airboat Frank Stagnowski, and I didn't think he had UMHW on his boat back then as it was a long time ago. Frank passed last year, he was a neighbor of mine. Still liked his drink. He was a helluva snowmachine mechanic at Persingers in the day.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
That would have been the summer of '89. I was up there TDY for the trial for the guy that did the execution style murder of the produce manager of Carr's on Muldoon.

It wasn't the only time it's been done up there. The one Mike mentioned was a bet that the original story wasn't a fluke. The guy who did that one actually got a visit from a knucklehead rookie Trooper who was going to give him a ticket for operating an unlicensed vehicle on a roadway, but since it was after-the-fact, he couldn't find a witness. grin

That Trooper, BTW, had just been cut loose from FTO and was still on Probation. 1st Sgt Waggoner had a word of prayer with him but it didn't seem to have much effect. The knucklehead got himself fired a couple months later for excessive use of force.

IIRC, Stagnowski did his in the late 70's - early 80's, when that area was still outside of Fairbanks city limits. I met him once at the Sportsman's show in Anchorage in the mid-80's ('84-'85?) when the show was still on Fireweed Lane at the corner of Fireweed and "C" Street. He was talking with a friend of mine, a retired Trooper, who worked Fairbanks during Pipeline construction days, about "the good old days". grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Makes sense when frank did the orig no umhw on his boat. Sparks flying everywhere! Lol

Was 1st sgt waggoner fpd or ast? Knew a fpd Waggoner through his mom Terry Wiese?

And the murder trial? Was that victor stern's trial? I recall he offed some poor store manager that was begging for his life around that time

Alaska big place with few people = small world

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

296 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 16penny, 2ndwind, 204guy, 1minute, 39 invisible), 2,383 guests, and 1,032 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,168
Posts18,465,353
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.