Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
Pro's, Con's of them? Anyone own and use it frequently?

With my impending move to Florida due to a forced "semi-retirement", and that I'll be spending 200+ days a year on the water, the thought of a dedicated snake/varmint gun capable of three different loads is intriguing.....

I'm all ears...... grin

Last edited by frogman43; 08/19/17.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
big for what they do, a 44 special shot shell is what I would use, and a SS 649 smith and wesson or maybe a 329 if you need LW. Honestly I think they are just silly, a gun that does nothing well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd like to have one.

Several years ago I relieved the cylinder of a Public Defender to use 45 ACP in Taurus proprietary moon clips and it worked fine. I also experimented with long-loaded 45 Colt loads and eventually got usable accuracy at 25 yards, despite the long cylinder. Would probably have kept it but Taurus' QC record is not a confidence builder.

http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/the-taurus-public-defender-45-colt410-snubnose-revolver/

The guns get derided but they have considerable utility as a farm/woods gun if you understand their limitations. S&W has no doubt done a better job with the platform.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by frogman43
Pro's, Con's of them? Anyone own and use it frequently?

With my impending move to Florida due to a forced "semi-retirement", and that I'll be spending 200+ days a year on the water, the thought of a dedicated snake/varmint gun capable of three different loads is intriguing.....

I'm all ears...... grin

Don't.

Just don't.

Please.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by jimmyp
big for what they do, a 44 special shot shell is what I would use, and a SS 649 smith and wesson or maybe a 329 if you need LW. Honestly I think they are just silly, a gun that does nothing well.

A big ++ 1000!

Stupid Governor, Judge,just BS!

Same goes for those 5 lb derringers that shoot 410's and 45.

Either get a pistol that you can shoot,possibly some shot shells for it, or one of those snake charmer 410's if you want a dedicated snake gun. Personally the only kind of snakes I'm worried about are the 2 legged kind. With the others,they are either close enough to bite,so a pistol wouldn't help, or far enough that I don't have to fug with them.

IC B2

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I think that gun is part of a new genre - "feucktard bait"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sarge I have often wondered if one was to get brass shot shells and load them with a powder to push the 45 caliber bullets up to speed would they shoot better not having to make the jump. Just a thought. Thanks for your time . Cheers NC

Last edited by northcountry; 08/19/17.

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I love mine. Use it to shoot rats while bushogging pastures and for that use nothing else comes close. Carry in a HPG kit bag. Perfect rat murderer. I used to use shot shells in a .357 but it usually took two (or more) shots and range was very limited. Have used a compact double barrel which worked well but was a pain to get in action when a rat runs out.

I've not shot any thing other than 410's and 45ACP out of it. It shoots the 45 auto fairly well but nothing to brag about. I like moon clipped revolvers and the ability to shoot acp is a plus. I like the no-nonsense sights but again, I don't use it for shooting little groups.

It's a well made pistol but I rarely carry it anywhere other than the tractor.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'd get a Ruger LCRx. About 1 pound less and you can but slugs where you want them to go.

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
I appreciate the feedback gents.

It's not like I don't have several handgun options already, from the S&W 38 Airweight with shotshells I currently carry, to a S&W 625 Mountain Gun with handloaded shot cartridges from my buddy, Doc. Add to that, you can even purchase shotshells for 9mm or .45 acp.....but then you're stuck with them as your first and or second load as well.

I just happen to peruse the S&W site and wondered about their ability as a dedicated "Swamp" or "Boat" gun is all.....and having a real shot cartridge with low incidence of ricochet in certain areas.

Thanks for all the comments!

Froggy

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by dla
I think that gun is part of a new genre - "feucktard bait"

Interesting point of view........

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'd get a Ruger LCRx. About 1 pound less and you can but slugs where you want them to go.

[Linked Image]

Scott, do you find yourself carrying that LCRx more frequently than the J frame you used to carry?

Thanks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
The wife has pretty much taken over the J-frame.

LCRx (above) or a LCR 22LR get carried the most.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
And the 22LR the mostest.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by northcountry
Sarge I have often wondered if one was to get brass shot shells and load them with a powder to push the 45 caliber bullets up to speed would they shoot better not having to make the jump. Just a thought. Thanks for your time . Cheers NC

Here's a thread with a lot of chronograph results using various loads... solid Tier Two 45 Colt loads (not recommended) barely cracking 800 fps and then only with 200 grain bullets. http://smith-wessonforum.com/reloading/400500-45-colt-loads-s-w-governor.html

In order to take advantage of brass shotshell casings, a chamber cast would be needed and once your ideal case length was established, you'd have to crimp them to keep bullets from walking out under recoil. If I ever fool with a 45/410 revolver again, I'm going to scrounge a few 460 cases and start again there.

The howlers, bless their hearts, have a point, That damned long chamber and the oversize cylinder throats, often found in 45/410 revolvers, keeps them from doing any one thing really well. I am primarily a 45 Colt SA guy and I just can't warm up to any revolver that inhibits getting 950 fps from a 255 grain bullet and keep them on a groundhog at 50 yards.

In my mind, the current best options for a 45 ACP/Colt revolver are a Ruger SA with a cylinder for each or the Redhawk chambered to handle both. Given the poor patterns I got with 410 bird shot, I think you'd be about as well off with Speer 45 Colt shot loads.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It is like a Jack of all Trades and a master of none

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Shotshell and bullet

[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
That'll do.....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bea175
It is like a Jack of all Trades and a master of none

I made that comment years ago when the Judge was first introduced and caught seven kinds of hell from several guys here defending the thing.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Good choice, shotshell options, 45LC and .410 loads. Pistol is large with the cylinder size. Changed to hogue g10 grips, big improvement. The .410 with 6 shot works well. Holster options are limited.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 11point, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 55 invisible), 2,957 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,354
Posts18,468,882
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.