Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I just acquired one of these little pistols in the target version with a bull barrel.I didn't think too much about it until my smith told me it was a lot more gun than I thought it was.So,now I'm thinking I'll keep it. It has a trigger pull of just over 3 pounds so I don't feel I really need to get an after market trigger conversion.What would be a addition to this piece?Threading the barrel is going to happen if I do end up keeping it and I prefer open sights.

Last edited by savage2400; 08/12/17.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had the Mark II version for over twenty years and in addition to the trigger work, I found the best upgrade for me was the right style/fitting grips. Made night and day difference on how well I shot that thing. It would be nice if you could try several different types/brands to see what felt great in your hands.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
The only down sides to the Mk III are the mag safety and loaded chamber indicator. These are the first issues I address on any Mk III that comes in. The mag safety prevents the magazines from dropping free and makes disassembly such a pain you would never clean the pistol again. There are several choices ( none too expensive) of aftermarket hammer bushings to make everything right internally without the mag safety in place.
The loaded chamber indicator is the source of the majority of the jams on these fine pistols. It is easily removed and can be replaced with a filler or just leave the slot. Doesn't hurt anything.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Nice thanks for the info!

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I agree with Kp321. I can also add the magazine disconnect complicated the take down. In it self its not a big problem but; it is one more complexity in a procedure that some (or many) find difficult. That disconnect is absolutely good for nothing. Same for for the chamber indicator, worse than useless - a safety liability.

My Mk III had trigger pull over 4 pounds, with not too bad a pull. My Mk IV was stiffer yet and had a very odd/creepy pull. I installed a Volquartsen trigger kit in both. Since then I have been reading that some have had a good result with just a sear and removal of the magazine disconnect (Mk III or IV). I also replace the MK III Loaded Chamber Indicator with a blank filler.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have a Mk III with the 5-1/2 inch barrel, blued. I replaced the innards with stuff from Volquartsen. I'd done a couple of Mk IIs in the past and thought those were nightmarish. They're a walk in the park compared to the Mk III. However, with the work done, it's a pretty incredible little pistol. I can lean on the hard tonneau on my truck and whack bottlecaps reliably out to 75 yards .. with iron sights. I prefer the Mk II to the Mk III but this one isn't going anywhere.

I don't find either version all that hard to disassemble for cleaning.

One thing I don't like about either Mk II or Mk III ... I won't EVER holster one with a round chambered. Several times I've put the gun in a holster with the safety on and found it with the safety off when it came back out. That's too close to getting shot in the leg. It's a pain in the ass but I clear the chamber before I holster one of these ... always.

The only thing that could make me happier is if Ruger would bring back the 10" barrel.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Looks like I'm going to get a Crimson trace laser grip

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Kp321
The only down sides to the Mk III are the mag safety and loaded chamber indicator. These are the first issues I address on any Mk III that comes in. The mag safety prevents the magazines from dropping free and makes disassembly such a pain you would never clean the pistol again. There are several choices ( none too expensive) of aftermarket hammer bushings to make everything right internally without the mag safety in place.
The loaded chamber indicator is the source of the majority of the jams on these fine pistols. It is easily removed and can be replaced with a filler or just leave the slot. Doesn't hurt anything.

I find it's easier to just buy a mkII... whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The thumb release for the mag is nice on a MK3.
The old Wilson? conversion for the MK2..........looked for one a while back, didn't find one.
I'd like a MK3 frame w my Davdison's Great Eight upper.
Waiting for a MK3 standard, dumped at LGS for a MK4.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

674 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 65 invisible), 3,077 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,698
Posts18,456,728
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.