Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I was wondering what your experience is regarding the accuracy of the windham weaponry barrels. I ran across a complete rifle with the varmint exterminator barrel (20" stainless fluted) and was wanting some advice. The rifle is pretty damn nice, but a hodge podge of parts:

Spikes tactical lower
Northtech defense upper
Windham weaponry varmint exterminator barrel
16.7 Noveske NSR
CMC flat blade single stage trigger that breaks damn nice at around 3 pounds...

I added up a the cost to build the rifle and it approaches $1,800.00, but I can buy it for about half that... The rifle feels damn good in the hands, very similar to my 20" barreled Noveske. Should I pass on this one, or is it a good deal????

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No experience with that particular barrel but keep in mind where it's coming from. Not that I think it would be a bad choice, but Windham is probably sourcing the cheapest barrels they can get to offer at a low price. There are tons of manufacturers out there now offering all kinds of match and varmint barrels, sourced from wherever they can get them. It's hard to gage barrel quality based on the name of the company anymore unless you stick with a company putting out a consistent match grade product (White Oak).

Last edited by wareagle700; 08/15/17.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
is there any way to know who made a given barrel? Is any AR company making their own?

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know anything about Windham barrels & don't really know much about your arsenal other than the Stag that you've posted about.

But since this is a 20" barrel & you already have the Stag that needs wheels on it to roll it around wink , I'd suggest that you build or find, a nice lightweight 16" or even a pinned 14.7" gun to complement the Stag & to be used at shorter to intermediate ranges.

Just a thought..................

MM

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
BSA - if the rifle fits your needs, it's a good buy at 50% of the build cost.

If the barrel isn't up to your accuracy needs, pull it and swap. There will be plenty of sales on parts between now and Black Friday...

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Isn't Wyndham the former Bushmaster rifles or something like that?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
I don't know anything about Windham barrels & don't really know much about your arsenal other than the Stag that you've posted about.

But since this is a 20" barrel & you already have the Stag that needs wheels on it to roll it around wink , I'd suggest that you build or find, a nice lightweight 16" or even a pinned 14.7" gun to complement the Stag & to be used at shorter to intermediate ranges.

MM

Dang, I figured you'd suggest buying a Nightforce for my Noveske.... whistle

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
Isn't Wyndham the former Bushmaster rifles or something like that?

Remington bought Bushmaster, and was closing/closed the Bushmaster assembly line in Maine. The original owner of Bushmaster decided to buy the assembly line and re-open as Wyndham Weaponry.

The short story version: https://www.windhamweaponry.com/

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

MM

Absolutely. Why not? Can't think of better way to spend money.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

MM

Absolutely. Why not? Can't think of better way to spend money.

Ha ha... ENABLER!!!!!!!

Alright, seeing how mostly everyone, here, was positive about this rifle and it was eating at me, I went and bought it....... smirk... I am pretty happy about it. Got it home and swapped out the CMC flat blade single stage trigger with my $89.00 RRA 2 stage varmint trigger and scope mount and scope from my Rogue Defense. Rushed off to the range and shot some of my Noveske/Stag handloads. Got to the range at 7:00 pm and shot for an hour or so. After dialing in the rifle, it looked like this:
[Linked Image]

Since it was dialed in, I shot a few 10 shot groups:
[Linked Image]

I'm pretty glad I gave in and bought this one:
[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a basic Windham Weaponry AR.......flat top, 16 inch barrel. Bought it back when Walmart was getting out of the AR business for $350. I haven't shot it much, but it is a good shooting rifle, and ever bit as accurate a some more expensive ones I have shot.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That sounds pretty good James. Before I bought this rifle, I saw a thread about someone here having accuracy issues with a windham rifle. I hoped since this barrel is their better varmint barrel, that it would shoot good. I'm glad I rolled the dice on this one, as I'm betting you are with your rifle. That sounds like a heck of a good deal too!!

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (1beaver_shooter, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1234, 56 invisible), 3,346 guests, and 1,119 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,297
Posts18,468,035
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.