Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Creeker Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I would like to go there in the spring to varmint hunt. Anyone here use the area?

GB1

C
CKW Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
What type of varmints are you expecting to hunt? I have been there several times years ago while working but never noticed many small rodent targets, e.g. ground squirrels. As far as I know there are no prairie dogs in the area. There are other areas on the National Forests with more ground squirrels than I've seen on the Curlew NGL. Coyotes are present but do not know in what numbers, have seen some nice mule deer bucks at times though.

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson
Creeker Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Above all else I like jackrabbits especially with a sixgun. Crows & such are also good.

C
CKW Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
When I was there the rabbit cycle was low and can't recall seeing any. However the past couple of years the rabbit population is up according to the Utah Dept. of Wildlife, the Curlew is only a few miles north of the Utah/Idaho line. But I have not been back to the Curlew for almost 10 years so my information is dated. The Curlew is former privately owned land which were cultivated farms that failed during the Great Depression. Then the land was bought by the Federal Government from bankrupt farmers and turned over to the Forest Service to manage - I know a Grassland managed by the "Forest Service" seems weird. So there are areas of private land mixed with public land, most of it has been tilled at one time so the vegetation is a mix of introduced grasses and some native shrubs and herbs. It is still heavily grazed by domestic livestock.

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson
Creeker Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Last year I hunted the Cimarron National Grasslands in SW Kansas. The P-Dog population was down but jacks were everywhere. I'm looking for another place next year. It doesn't have to be Curlew but it's in a route I wish to travel. I'm always open to suggestions.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jack rabbits, cottontails, and coyotes were all in abundance last year in parts of the bighorn basin. Maybe check with some of the guys here who live there.

Heading that direction in a couple of weeks, myself.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Creeker Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks John I'll add that to the list.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

223 members (160user, 12344mag, 2500HD, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 22 invisible), 2,312 guests, and 924 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,718
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.