Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
A good friend at work has gotten me into the milsurp 9mm kick. I shot his Hi Power and immediately became obsessed.

He had picked up this STAR Super B last year. We shot it at a range recently and it had the same extraction issues many of these pistols experience. My buddy was going to sell it, but I told him we could easily take it apart and check it out.

Anyhow, the other day, he comes in and says "I've got something for you. It's not the Browning, but i think you'll like it."

He gave me the Super B, 4 mags, an IWB holster and gun rug. I was flabbergasted, but he was sure.

So, I've been scouring the net to learn all I can about it. I was actually able to find a new extractor online and am waiting for it to come in, but I may try some other tricks, too.

Anyhow, i do have a couple questions...

First, there are two sets of numbers on this pistol. There is a 5-digit number on the right side, stamped twice...once on the frame and directly above it on the slide. The second number is on the left side of the frame, just below the slide release.

From what I've seen in my research, I think that the left-side number is the actual serial number of the pistol. The right-side number is a "rack number" that indicates the slide is matched to the frame.

Can anyone confirm I am correct on this?

There's a "72" stamped just ahead of the trigger guard, which matches up with the proof mark under the grip to indicate it mas made in 1972.

My other question is whether the grip panels for a Super A will fit a Super B. I think that the frames are the same, it's just that the calibers are different. The reason I ask is that I've got my eye on a set of grips for a Super A that would look nice on this "Spanish lady".

A couple photos...sorry for the glare.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Aqualung

"Bambi's Good Eatin'!"
- Me

"...Somewhere, there are Brownings in a two-hand hold,
Cocked and locked, one up the spout..."
- Jethro Tull
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So you ordered an extractor, do you know if the extractor is bad? Is it damaged or broken that you can see?

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Nice gift! Fun pistol, but watch for web pinch on your shooting hand.

Retired cat herder.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by GunGeek
So you ordered an extractor, do you know if the extractor is bad? Is it damaged or broken that you can see?

Weak extractors are a class problem with these pistols. Reportedly, they used the same extractor for the Model A (9mm Largo) and the Super B (9mm Parabellum). 9mm Largo, apparently has a larger rim, so the extractor claw is a bit smaller.

I also tested the action by closing it on a spent case, then pulling the slide slowly back. A good extractor should hold the case against the bolt face. On mine, it extracts, but drops the round down the mag well.

Also, when closed on a case, the extractor should protrude slightly from the side of the slide. On mine, it stays pretty flush.

I did take it apart and it does appear a bit worn and one corner of it looks a little rounded.

And, to top it off, the one I found was less than $20, so I figured that was a pretty good investment...

If the new one still isn't deep enough, then i've seen some other mods that can be made, but I don't want to go grinding around on the original.

Aqualung

"Bambi's Good Eatin'!"
- Me

- Jethro Tull
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I had a Star Model B, no issues at all and accurate while I had it. FIL asked to borrow a pistol for an Alaskan RV trip, that was 15 years ago.. Still waiting to get it back.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That pistol might shoot fine if you removed the extractor entirely.
Your problem might also relate to the magazine or recoil spring.

Last edited by night_owl; 04/23/17.

abusus non tollit usum
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by night_owl
That pistol might shoot fine if you removed the extractor entirely.
Your problem might also relate to the magazine or recoil spring.

A new recoil spring might be in the future, too.

We'll see how it goes with the new extractor, since it's on its way.

Thanks.

Aqualung

"Bambi's Good Eatin'!"
- Me

- Jethro Tull
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good luck. Those Stars are nice pistols.

abusus non tollit usum
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
An update...extractor came in and it looks like it needs a little fitting. I installed it (needed to expand the pin hole a bit) and it's even worse than the original. It appears that the hole was bored off a bit. So, since I didn't pay much for it, I'll do a little work to "move" the hole slightly and also make it a little skinnier so the claw extends deeper into the receiver area to grab the case rim.

I'll post some pics and an update.

Thanks,

Aqualung

"Bambi's Good Eatin'!"
- Me

- Jethro Tull
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
So, I ordered recoil springs for this Super B from Wolff.

They instruct buyers from measure the existing spring diameters. Super A (9mm Largo) springs are slightly larger than Super B (9mm Luger) springs. I bought both.

It appears that I've got a Super A guide rod and plunger...

Anyone have a Super B that can mic their guide rod for me?

I've tried it out with the bigger spring with a few coils cut off and it still jams. I'm thinking that it's more than just the spring and extractor. There may be some other dimensional differences between the A and B guide does that are mucking things up.

Thanks

Aqualung

"Bambi's Good Eatin'!"
- Me

- Jethro Tull
IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I wasn't quite clear on the cartridge your pistol is chambered. Is it 9x19 (Parabellum - seems so from the slide marking) or is it 9x23?

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Wildcatter264
I wasn't quite clear on the cartridge your pistol is chambered. Is it 9x19 (Parabellum - seems so from the slide marking) or is it 9x23?

Wildcatter,

Mine is in 9mm Parabellum. All Super Bs are 9mm Parabellum and Super As are 9mm Largo (9x23) from what I understand.

Aqualung

"Bambi's Good Eatin'!"
- Me

- Jethro Tull

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

623 members (160user, 12344mag, 1234, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,309 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,618
Posts18,454,995
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.