Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
again,
You can regulate a SxS using a range of handloaded power charge loads to see which prints better
as well as via heated-jig adjusted barrels.

IF a person has one of the very early .303 SxS rifles there is likely no orig. spec. regulation ammunition availiable
and no new current equvilent on the shelf....so what do owners shoot through them?

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Starman
again,
You can regulate a SxS using a range of handloaded power charge loads to see which prints better
as well as via heated-jig adjusted barrels.

IF a person has one of the very early .303 SxS rifles there is likely no orig. spec. regulation ammunition availiable
and no new current equvilent on the shelf....so what do owners shoot through them?

WHAT are you talking about? If you can handload, you can get a load to regulate. Woodleigh makes bullets very similar in profile to the old Kynoch bullets.

Here, have some 215g Weldcores:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...weldcore-round-nose-soft-point-box-of-50

In a pinch, substitute equal charge of IMR 3031 to the original Cordite load. Work it up, of course. Worked in my Jeffery's.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jorgeI
One more point of discussion. Craig Boddington, who has over one hundred and twenty (!) safaris under his belt, relates a
story in one of his books where he lost out on what was going to be his biggest kudu. Why? because he had with him a 3006 and the animal
only presented him with a "Texas Heart Shot" (sic). He goes onto say, had he been carrying his 375, the shot would have been a no-brainer..

since you get aroused by Boddington so much...

Rifleshooter Sep 23, 2010
" My daughter Brittany is a bit more sensitive to recoil. She doesn’t like to go beyond her 7mm-08 unless absolutely necessary. Last year, using
a 140-grain Nosler Partition, she took a monstrous eland cleanly with her 7mm-08. Again, shot placement is almost everything, and I fear guys
like me make too much of the perfect caliber and cartridge selection".

Rifleshooter Jan 4, 2011
"...nearly 30 years ago I lost the first leopard I shot. I hit him too high with a .375 H&H, and the next morning we lost the spoor.
Had I hit him properly, of course, we would have recovered him.......back then I thought a bigger hammer was always better.
Today I’m much less sure of that."

Originally Posted by IndyCA35

John Kingsley-Heath, in his book, "Hunting the Dangerous Game of Africa," claims that the .243 is the best cartridge for leopard over bait.
Why? Because the nervous system of cats is very susceptible to shock from high velocity and leopards don't weigh very much.

Well, there's another example. I have that book as well....

Well jorge, go to AR African Hunting forum and tell the regular DG guys and PHs you would hunt leopard. with .243win
because you read it in another one of your books....Im confident I can predict the tone and nature of responses.

ensure you explain them the static (or is it dynamic?) voodoo shock theory.

curious,.... is Col. Craig Boddington of '120+ safaris' fame, onboard with the shock theory you push???

..Regarding cats,there are myriad books out there explaining this
,........I'm more a guy that believes in experience, and not what you read from a book.
....What I'm trying to say is, listen to what has been observed through our own eyes rather than what some book says.

and please clear up for readers your own confusion and double talk..
..do you believe what you read in a myriad of books......Yes or No?

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes he does, butthole. The fact remains he WROTE that about the kudu AND related it to me in person. So how many kudu have you shot? But nice dodge on all the bullshit you try to pass on as personal knowledge. The point of my cogent, well-reasoned post you seem to be enamored with, is not a contradiction but obviously you are to dense to capture. I know Craig personally and he sure as hell subscribes to the notion of high velocity on cats. Further, the folks I've quoted, (like Dr. Kevin Roberston & Sullivan to name three) I've also spoken with them on this and a variety of other subjects, so even to a wannabee like you, both EXPERIENCE and what they've WRITTEN, in BOOKS have been validated. So you keep posting and pasting, but ever wonder why, just about every poster here, a few with a dozen safaris or more under under their belts and or hunting, almost to a man recognize you are a the consummate ASS. On hunting leopard, the PH I hunt with (as in you know I've actually BEEN to Africa on safari) have discussed the issue of caliber many times and since I don't have a 243, I have discussed using a 257 Weatherby and he has no issue with this. So please continue to show your ass here on the forums. Everywhere you post people consider you a jerk. get a clue, ace. Oh, and I see you've added double rifle regulation to your repertoire and slightly changed your laughable answer of "heating" barrels to regulate by adding the use of "jigs". Close but no cigar.... lol

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

curious,.... is Col. Craig Boddington of '120+ safaris' fame, onboard with the shock theory you push???

Yes he does....

Col.Boddington describes it not as fact, but only as THEORY and HYPE:
May 23rd 2016, Guns&Ammo -

"Roy Weatherby believed in velocity and his theory of hydrostatic shock that it conveyed. He also wanted his rifles to look different,
like “tomorrow’s rifles.” Characteristic and distinctive were his Monte Carlo comb and squared forend with a reverse slant at the tip.

The thing is, Roy Weatherby believed his hype .He lived it and breathed it.He was not just a marketing huckster; he was a true zealot,
preaching the gospel of velocity[/b] and ultra-modern stock styling. Provided you didn’t bad-mouth his rifles and cartridges, he was also
a really nice guy".

Merriam-Webbster definition of huckster

(hawker, peddler); especially : one who sells or advertises something in an aggressive, dishonest, or annoying way.

Definition of hype

promote or publicize (a product or idea) intensively, often exaggerating its benefits.
to intensify (advertising, promotion, or publicity) by ingenious or questionable claims, methods, etc
exaggerated publicity; hoopla.
questionable claim, method, etc., used in advertising, promotion, a swindle, deception, or trick.

Definition of zealot

fanatical, completely intolerant of different beliefs or opinions.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh come on dude!

You want to quote Craig? I've shared a camp with him Argentina. I talk to him each year either at DSC or SCI. I've got his personal email. I know he and Jorge get together every year at DSC. Both being jarheads, they are big buddies. If he wants to know something from Craig, he doesn't email, he PHONES him. Save me the cut and and paste. This is getting ridiculous at this point.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Boddington publicly disqualfies and derides the H-S theory...end of story.
take it up with him if you cant accept it.

yet another dismal Jorge failure....lol

Originally Posted by hatari
I've got his personal email. I know he and Jorge get together every year at DSC. .

LOL....whoop-de-doo!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I've got his personal email. I know he and Jorge get together every year at DSC. .

LOL....whoop-de-doo!

Actually, it is significant. I am certain he will tell me you are not.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You tried to impress with your celebrity association and it flopped...

whats interests me is C.Boddingtons expressed view and rejection of hydrostatic -shock theory
not your personal life...If you really value Boddington as much as you say, you would quietly take
his words onboard.

Jorge implicitly mentioned CBs 120+ safari experience to infer that what CB says holds serious weight.
On such premiss , it would be fair and reasonable to conclude that CBs documented words in reference
to HST hold the same weight.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I am hoping my next Eland (which would just be #2) will come out of the BVC.

My primary hunting will be for Cape Buffalo and I will be using a 450-400 NE (No 1). I suspect I will just use the same rifle and load for Eland...400gr A-Frame or a 400gr Northfork SS.

I might take a second load for the Eland...but not sure it is worth the trouble and potential for mix-up in the dark or heat of action. Second load might be 300gr TSX or 350gr Hawk.

KISS will likely prevail and I will just use the 400gr whatever for Eland.

My first Eland was taken with a 30 cal 180gr TTSX at about 200 yards. Impact velocity was about 2,500fps and I got complete penetration through both shoulders. Eland made it about 200 yards and was dropped with a raking shot. It appeared to be "dead on its feet". I was 50 feet from it and it just stood there like a statue. The spot of blood on the right shoulder in my avatar pic is the exit (a little lower than the entrance).

Last edited by Tarbe; 08/29/17.

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
IC B3

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Starman, you're so FOS wrapped up in chasing down quotes from the internet than to actually READ what I and others have posted on the subject, including Craig. Funny, but other than hunts he is being sponsored, every time there is a big time trophy to be taken for his collection, his caliber of choice IN REAL LIFE is either the 8MM REM MAG or a 300 or 340 Weatherby and I'm talking his quest for mountain Nyala and Argali Sheep to name just two, not to mention the fact he was just awarded the Weatherby Trophy for this year. Here's another hint for you stupid; you kinda have to use Weatherby rifles for at least a portion of your quest for this award. Once again ever notice that virtually EVERYONE on this forum dislikes you intensely? Why do you think that is? You might want to "google "sociopath" and then grab a mirror. Lastly, how many safaris have you been on? Go back to your basement.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Larry, Larry, tsk tsk. You wanted to play this cut and paste game. You're the one that wanted to impress us cherry picking quotes from someone we know. You could have picked Ingwe to cut and paste from and the result would be the same. If I want to know what's on Tom's mind, I'll ask him. Maybe you should get out from behind your keyboard and mingle with some of these people. Some of them are quite pleasant. It might rub off on you.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You could have picked Ingwe to cut and paste from and the result would be the same. If I want to know what's on Tom's mind, I'll ask him. Maybe you should get out from behind your keyboard and mingle with some of these people. Some of them are quite pleasant. It might rub off on you.

Don't EVER tell him I'm quite pleasant!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ingwe
You could have picked Ingwe to cut and paste from and the result would be the same. If I want to know what's on Tom's mind, I'll ask him. Maybe you should get out from behind your keyboard and mingle with some of these people. Some of them are quite pleasant. It might rub off on you.

TFF!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Larry, Larry, tsk tsk. You wanted to play this cut and paste game. You're the one that wanted to impress us cherry picking quotes from someone we know. You could have picked Ingwe to cut and paste from and the result would be the same. If I want to know what's on Tom's mind, I'll ask him. Maybe you should get out from behind your keyboard and mingle with some of these people. Some of them are quite pleasant. It might rub off on you.

Oh, dear. Don't tell me LarryRoot has come back with yet another sock puppet handle!

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Oops, my bad! smile

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Tarbe... KISS is a decent way to go, especially in game-rich country like the BVC where you are almost certainly going to encounter DG on a daily basis. Part of my reasoning for taking my 375 as my "everything" rifle there was based on John Sharp's observation that one might be comfortable shooting an impala with a .243, but if a lioness or two in the mopane decided to contest one's ownership of the carcass, that .243 will seem awfully inadequate quite suddenly.

Carrying a rifle that is big enough for ANY game animal you're likely to encounter suddenly in the bushveldt simply makes too much sense to me to do anything else.

Last edited by DocRocket; 08/30/17.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Oops, my bad! smile

laugh

Too funny.

DF

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by DocRocket

Carrying a rifle that is big enough for ANY game animal you're likely to encounter suddenly in the bush Velda simply makes too much sense to me to do anything else.

And that sir, is an outstanding reason for me to own a .375, even though I'm just dreaming of hunting Africa at this point! It does make one heck of a black bear cartridge in the meantime...

Guy

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GuyM
Originally Posted by DocRocket

Carrying a rifle that is big enough for ANY game animal you're likely to encounter suddenly in the bush Velda simply makes too much sense to me to do anything else.

And that sir, is an outstanding reason for me to own a .375, even though I'm just dreaming of hunting Africa at this point! It does make one heck of a black bear cartridge in the meantime...

Guy

Guy

I purchased my first .375 in 1987. My first .458 in 1988.

I made my first trip to Africa in 2015!

And finally on my second in 2019 I will actually hunt DG.

So don't let the calendar, or what passes for common sense, stop you!

If you are a handloader, you can hunt the U.S. quite nicely with what most folks consider to be an "Elephant rifle"!

Tim

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
684 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 75 invisible), 2,954 guests, and 1,428 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,672
Posts18,399,514
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.