Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Due to all the pressure, just because you have not found any fresh sign yesterday or today, does not mean elk won't move in overnight. Elk can, and will, move a long ways quickly.
A couple years ago, we'd been hunting for days without seeing a track. Then we got 6" of snow. Driving down a back road heading to camp after dark, we found lots of elk that had just arrived from somewhere, within rock throwing distance from the road, right out in the open sagebrush. The next morning before light, we were back and the elk were still there. We sneaked in through the sagebrush and when it was light enough to shoot, bang, bang, 2 in the bag. We were even able to get the truck through the sagebrush to load them up.

I smiled when I read about driving up to them and thought, that's cheatin'.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When it comes to packing elk, sometimes cheating is sweet relief.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When it comes to packing elk, sometimes cheating is sweet relief.

Yes, it can.

We've been able to drive up to two of mine. Shortest actual pack was a lasered 43 yards to the road. We do it on our backs so no complaints.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Thought I'd bump this thread. With elk season around the corner, I'm sure we have all being spending time studying maps and GE looking for that get-away spot. If you can walk there, so can someone else. Expect it. Have a plan. Good luck in 2017!

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
There are two ways to hunt elk--put the sneak on them or let other hunters do your work for you. My dad taught me the latter, and the older I get the smarter my Old Man becomes.......

Currently, one of my most successful spots is simply waiting for elk to cross an open strip that is 450 yds long one direction, 250 yds the other, and about 30 yds wide. From that spot over the last 9 years, five kids between the ages of 13-17 have killed 9 elk. I've killed 3 more. The trick is finding those spots. To this day I cannot figure out why elk tend to cross this otherwise unassuming stretch of ground. I know why the elk are moving, they're being shot at on a private ranch owned by a dot.com bizillionaire, and obviously his buddies can't shoot. There is lots of territory beyond that actually provide more cover for elk moving away from the hunting pressure. But they choose to use this stretch of ground.

Or when the elk hole up in the dark timber or the hellholes a guy can go in after them. Nine lb rifles, rangefinders, hubble size scopes and dialing are useless in those situations though, and very few guys are prepared to jump shoot elk at 40 yds.

And yes, there are places where a guy can hunt relatively undisturbed elk.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have noticed in the last five years,OTC ares = many hunters.I usually draw a ML cow tag and then also hunt 2nd rifle .The last several years that has been in a 5o0 w/cap unit. Now it is OTC.I might very well sit out 2nd rifle this year I don't need the meat. I am not physically able to hunt the 3rd and 4th with a lot of snow and don't really relish putting up with the crowds anymore.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well, it'll be easier sitting out 2nd rifle since you'll already have a fat cow in the freezer.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Or do like I did. Borrow a map from a friend, Ken, who knows/hunts the area, with an area at 11K on a steep slope circled on it and labeled "elk here".

We (his brother Robert and I) found them at 10.5, while following a fresh satellite bull trail toward them in 4" of overnight snow.. smile. OTC 2nd rifle season, CO.

The ridge top, with several tent camps of maybe 20 horse hunters ahead of us, was at 14K. Some had gone in the day before season or earlier, some ahead of us that morning. Our camp was a heated rental cabin with running water and shower 5 minutes drive from the trail head.

Ken was, at the time, at another place I hope to try next year or so, involving a steep 1500-2000 foot climb up a sheer canyon wall (rock chute) , several miles from any road access on the far side. On their side, they had to park their vehicle along the road in the canyon bottom a mile away from the chute they could climb. That canyon was as far as the elk could go.... He and his partner both scored at daylight opening day, several hours before I did, having climbed the day before and camped overnight on the rim. They had more than 80 elk to watch that hunting season eve. they hung their meat from ropes over the canyon rim to keep the critters off. On the other hand, it was all downhill from the kill site. As was mine.

It took me until nearly noon, the same day they scored, but we had to climb 3,000 feet, including a mile and half of trail up the canyon's bottom. But Ken told us which rock to turn off at to start climbing.

We - mostly Robert- dragged/rolled that cow downhill on a watercourse, pushing her over several dry waterfall drops, and when we finally got hung up behind a serious deadfall, we were only about 30 yards off the trail. Had her all packed out and drinking beer with a hot supper at the cabin by dark. More beer drinking after supper.

My kind of elk hunting.... smile. I'm 10 years older now, tho.

Last edited by las; 08/23/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
One tactic that has worked for me is to try and enter an area I know holds elk from a different direction than other people do (wind direction willing). Elk seem to be looking the other way waiting for a sign it is time to move. It involves more hiking up front to do the end run but it pays off for me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you spook elk enough to get them running , don't bother hunting for them in the same place for a long time. They won't be there.

That is excellent advice. I was slowly learning it the hard way and then asked an older, more experienced elk hunter about it. He said to forget them once they are spooked. I have save myself a lot of time and miles since by looking for "fresh" elk.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
IC B3

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
There are some great pointers on this thread. I have found that in my later years that knowing your hunting area and elk habits pay off more than busting it up and down the mountain. Not to say some hard walking is not required, but sitting and glassing spots where elk move year after year can be very rewarding. I have several spots that I will slip into and sit most of the day several days in a row. This tactic has paid off more often than not over the last 10 years, but it can take several seasons to figure out the honey holes. Last year I did not see elk in any of my spots, but I did kill a dandy mule deer. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 72 invisible), 2,440 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,543
Posts18,453,263
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.