Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#12220883 08/20/17
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
For those that really walk, what are you wearing and why? Just retired the ones I've worn the last five years. Need something for up to 15-mile days. Soft enough for loose sand. Tough enough for rocks and thorns.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I switched in recent years from American made Danners to Meindls and Salomon's. I have 2-3 pairs of each and switch around depending on what I'm doing. I wore Meindl Perfekt by Cabela's, 400 gram version, last year in 2 states elk hunting, in PA during bear and deer season, in TN during deer season. All told about 30-40 partial/full days. I wear them in combination with Smartwool extra heavy cushion. Nary a blister or hot spot and I covered some miles, carried out 2 elk, and backpacked 5 miles into a Colorado elk spot for several days. This past year I bought a pair of Cabelas Meindl Denali. They are the non-insulated correlative to the Perfekt. I recently replaced the cork footbed with a Sofsole and like it much better. Not real crazy on the cork directly under my foot - not enough cushion for me when I'm putting on miles.

A couple things I've come to know about my feet:
1. The right combination of boot and sock is important. You can adjust nuances in boot fit by changing socks. I've also gone to wearing a Smartwool liner socks.

2. I don't need arch support, I do need cushion. I have a stack of aftermarket insoles on my bench. I'm not crazy about Superfeet, Meindl cork, or about any of the cheap insoles that come with most boots. I recently switch to Sofsole. This will be my first whole year hunting with them.

3. I need several pair of boots to cover my needs. You mention sand to rocks. Assuming you run into both during the day, one pair may work. I tend to be really hard on boots/shoes. I've found a pair of 1000 gram boots, 400 gram, and uninsulated covers most everything I do from turkeys in April/May to late season stand hunts for deer.

4 A toe rand is a must. I find I beat up the toe on my boots. I have to rands on about everything I own now a days.

Bottom line - alot of boots will work. What works best for your feet and hunting styles is a bit if a trial/error game. I bought 3-4 pairs high end boots from a single source with the understanding that I may return all of them. I paid shipping both ways to keep it fair.

Another good option is to go with Lathrop and Sons boot fitting service. It is pricey but they are podiatrists and know boots. In fact they just developed their own boot line. When he Meindls wear out, I'll likely give them a shot.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Boots: The "most" important component of your hunting gear.... Good sleeping bag second! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I don't wear traditional boots. I wear low tops. I haven't worn high top boots in over 5 years. My preference is Merrell Moab Ventilators.

The pluses for me are reduction in weight, ventilation for my feet, and flexibility. Since I switched, I quit having bad ankle sprains. I think the boots had a bad combination of two flaws. First, I came to depend on the ankle support to do the work rather than the muscles to do the work and my ankles and tendons got weaker, more injury prone. Second, the boot heel is considerably higher than a shoe heel which increases leverage against those now-weaker muscles and tendons.

So, IMHO, using boots for ankle support is a solution which amplifies the original problem rather than fixing it.

Back when I was wearing boots, the last pair I had that I really liked were Danners. I don't know what model, I'm not sure they were commercially available. A friend of a friend was a USAF survival instructor and got them for me on base up in Washington. After years of good service, I tore the side out of them .. beyond repair. The replacements were not very satisfying. They were too tight around the ankles and a bit loose around the feet. Could not wear thick enough socks to keep my feet from sliding around without cutting off the circulation around my ankles. I found that in the snow at 0 degrees my feet were warmer wearing low tops, heavy socks, and waterproof gaiters than they were wearing those boots.

That was about the point I stopped wearing traditional boots completely.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
There is a better selection now than ever. And usually two are three are better than one if you hunt varied conditions. I have had good luck with Lowa, Vasque, Garmont, Mendle, American Danners, Red Wing, Schnees, Russell and White's boots. My vote for the most comfortable is the Russell Moccasin Co. PH boot and Cactus hunters.

Best price Alico from Sierra trading post. I have also gotten by well with inexpensive work boots and Milsurp desert boots.

Try them on if you can or if you mail order get two sizes and see what fits best.

Fit is everything if walking a lot. I usually go for a half to one size bigger than my street shoes and use insoles for hot weather then two pairs of socks and a flatter insole for winter use.

Last edited by Tejano; 08/21/17.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In mild or warm weather I wear either my Russell PH's or my Courteney Patrols, these are particularly good in rough terrain. For wet/chilly weather I wear LL Bean's Maine Hunting Shoe (insulated or non, depending on temp). For chilly weather and rough country I wear Russel's Toe Lace Hunter. Great boot.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
I really like the Meindls with cork, their perfekt inserts. I bought a 2nd pair. I like the light hunter, due to the way the laces secure heel. Didn't get that with the denalis. They go in at the ankle. They are warm, with support all the way around. But I don't notice it, other than when I take them off and soaked with sweat.

Didn't care for Bean boots, not enough support. Cheap, and American made, which is nice.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I like Hanwags, I think the model is still called the "Mountain Light." Sturdy, not a true lightweight but light enough, good waterproofing.

But most important they fit my feet so they're comfortable over the long haul. Hardly take any break in at all.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have 8 pair of Danners for various hunting applications from Turkey to Big game. The US made ones in my opinion are the best and most waterproof. I know there are better boots out there but they are probably to pricy for me. I know you say with this many I could of probably bought a couple of the more expensive ones but its to late now as what I now have will last me until "Happy hunting Grounds"

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I have Salomon, lowa and Asolo boots to wear in cold/wet conditions. The rest of the time I wear trail runners designed for the mountains. I have 3 models of Salomon and am now trying the Altra Lone Peak 3.5 with Zero drop design that I am really liking. All of my boots fit well and are comfortable over a long days use. However my feet and legs are much less fatigued after a hard day w/ the runners and I give up nothing in traction and stability and they are much cooler.

Modern shoes designed for running in the mountains are worth trying. I will add that I hike and don't run and never carry more than 25#.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Kenetreks or Asolos here.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kenetrek Mountain Extreme and Irish Setter Elk Trekers for me lately

I quit Lowa and Danner

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by jorgeI
In mild or warm weather I wear either my Russell PH's or my Courteney Patrols, these are particularly good in rough terrain. For wet/chilly weather I wear LL Bean's Maine Hunting Shoe (insulated or non, depending on temp). For chilly weather and rough country I wear Russel's Toe Lace Hunter. Great boot.

I have a pair of Courteneys. They are wide with really hard soles. I would take them on a 5-mile walk. Past that I suspect they would be miserable.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer

I have a pair of Courteneys. They are wide with really hard soles. I would take them on a 5-mile walk. Past that I suspect they would be miserable.

Insoles

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Early season I like Merrell hiker style boots. When it's cold and wet I've tried many and after the last pair of Danners I swore them off. Why pay so much for American made boot's that leak, and don't fit the same as the same ones(model,size,insulation) in another pair? The last two years I've been using a pair of Georgia insulated boots. They are much the same as the Irish Setter elk trackers. They were less money, have not leaked, and left me wondering why I kept throwing money away on Danners.

I use various Lorpen wool socks and insoles. They're more/as important to me as which boots.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I've settled on Cabelas Meindls for just about everything.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I walked,, A LOT, whilst after buffalo in Zim a few years ago. No issues but I agree the soles are hard. I do have a Dr. Scholls insert in them though, same as the Russell PHs.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I forgot what brand but the moldable inserts are the best for me. The others just did not match my feet or arch well. I also like the Vietnam style mesh insoles and if the boots are large enough I put these under the moldable inserts. These help to evaporate sweat so keep your feet warmer or cooler as the case may be. Cork insoles like Meindle are good too for shock absorption and insulation. I cut up some cork floor tiles to make insoles and these worked fine.

If you already have a brand of insole you like be sure to try on the boots with them to make sure there is enough room. Some of the better boots have excellent insoles from the factory but many don't.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D

I walked,, A LOT, whilst after buffalo in Zim a few years ago. No issues but I agree the soles are hard. I do have a Dr. Scholls insert in them though, same as the Russell PHs.

Mine were super wide and stiff with no support. Not good for my B/C width foot. I gave them to my dad in that he is EE. He said they were still wide without insoles and thick wool socks.

Just ordered some Lowas. Will See how they work.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Danner

"The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's." Mark Twain
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
"The more I know about people, the more I like my dog." Mark Twain
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 01Foreman400, 13 invisible), 1,152 guests, and 779 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,058
Posts18,463,238
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.